GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just bought an 02 Wing and the handle bar weight on the left side has about 1/4" gap between the end of the grip and the inside edge of the weight. We loosened the screw and tried to move the expansion plug inside the bars in to fix the problem but it wouldn't move. My ST1300 had bar weights that looked to be the same as these and they would adjust in and out easily. Am I missing something here? These might adjust differently. I checked the service manual and it talked of removing the weight itself but not the part inside the bars that holds it. I don't want to force it so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree with Red's assessment. When I removed my grips to install heating elements, I pushed the new grip on the left bar too far up. Now have a gap between the end of the grip and the bar end weight. Will wait until I replace grips next time to correct the snafu.

Ed W.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I kind of wondered about that possibility but thought I would ask to make sure I have not overlooked anything. I will try correcting the grip position.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
drhude1800 said:
Thanks guys. I kind of wondered about that possibility but thought I would ask to make sure I have not overlooked anything. I will try correcting the grip position.
I assume it's the OEM grips. They are known for moving. You can blow compressed air under it to move it back out. If you don't have air, you can just remove it, clean the air, then reglue.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had the same problem with my grips and that gap. I took me a while to figure out why it kept happening. It turns out that when I park my GL in my small garage it is a struggle to turn the bike around, you know back and forth :twisted: So while moving the bike back and forth I was pulling on the grips really hard and they would start to move a little bit every time. They can be pulled back up but I think Reds idea of using an air hose would be a lot easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts