GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I noticed the right weight was very loose. Tightened it up, checked the left weight, a little loose, so tightened it up.
I now notice the left weight has a 1/4'' gap between weight and hand grip.
Right grip is flush up to grip.
Removed left weight, reinstalled it, still the gap.
I don't remember the gap being there before.
Is there an easy adjustment, or should I just live with it?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Last week I noticed the right weight was very loose. Tightened it up, checked the left weight, a little loose, so tightened it up.
I now notice the left weight has a 1/4'' gap between weight and hand grip.
Right grip is flush up to grip.
Removed left weight, reinstalled it, still the gap.
I don't remember the gap being there before.
Is there an easy adjustment, or should I just live with it?
Pull it back out to close the gap. Happens to my 02 all the time.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
It may not be the counter wieght's fault. Look at the rubber flange on the inner end of the grip. If the flange is right up agianst the adjacent handlebar housing, then its the grip that is glued to close to the center of the bike. You may have to remove and re-glue the grip. On the throttle side, this is a common reason for the throttle to become sluggish as the rubber flange begins to rub the throttle housing.

prs

·
Registered
64 Posts
The manual says that you are to use new bolts when removing the bolts for the bar ends. Does anyone know why they want you to use new bolts?

Mine never really get tight just less loose.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
It may not be the counter wieght's fault. Look at the rubber flange on the inner end of the grip. If the flange is right up agianst the adjacent handlebar housing, then its the grip that is glued to close to the center of the bike. You may have to remove and re-glue the grip.
prs
Yep...

Or just live with it...

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
The manual says that you are to use new bolts when removing the bolts for the bar ends. Does anyone know why they want you to use new bolts?

New bolts have thread lock on them. They will never get tight to the point where you can't turn them. The thread in the bar is rubber mounted and turns inside the bar.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
weights

thanks for the suggestions.
Just had a good look at the grip, it is up close to bracket that holds all the audio controls.
Have checked the screw, it remains tight.
Guess I will just live with it.

- bike is '05, had stock grips replaced with Honda grips when I bought the bike in '04.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

New bolts mean a sale in the parts dept. "Cash Flow" for the dealer.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
thanks for the suggestions.
Just had a good look at the grip, it is up close to bracket that holds all the audio controls.
Have checked the screw, it remains tight.
Guess I will just live with it.

- bike is '05, had stock grips replaced with Honda grips when I bought the bike in '04.
If it bugs Ya, its not rocket science to re-set the grips.

prs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts