GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 5' 8". After several hours of riding my shoulders and elbows start to ache. I also feel like I have to lean slightly forward. Most setups talk about raising the bars as well as moving them back an inch. Don't think I need them raised.

Any suggestions on what setup I should buy?

Graybeard
2002 Goldwing
Minnesota

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Back and up will probably be just fine. But there are risers that will just move them closer to you. Closer will get you relief; the slight amt of rise won't usually matter that much.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Risers I use are up an inch and back 1 1/4, they work great.

·
Registered
770 Posts
It is expensive but Helibars will take care of any problem that you may have. I used to get a pain between my shoulder blades when I went on long trips but the Helibars took care of that. I kept adjusting them until the pain went away. A side benefit of the bars is the rigidity of the steering input. The horizontal bar that connects the two handlebars does it's job well. One of the better mods that I have done to my wing.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Moving the bars with the Heli risers was like magic. Shoulder and neck pain gone !

YMMV it worked for me.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I am 5'10" and had frequent riding pain between my shoulder blades. I went with the wide MLB risers from WingStuff. That did it. These risers move the grips back 1-3/4" back and 3/4" up. They really fixed me up for less than $100 delivered. Awesome improvement In Comfort AND Control.

image.jpg

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
It is expensive but Helibars will take care of any problem that you may have. I used to get a pain between my shoulder blades when I went on long trips but the Helibars took care of that. I kept adjusting them until the pain went away. A side benefit of the bars is the rigidity of the steering input. The horizontal bar that connects the two handlebars does it's job well. One of the better mods that I have done to my wing.
Just got back from my first 500 mile ride with my Helibars. I had the risers(tried them all) and finally bit the bullet and spent the bucks. Completely different ride with my elbows bent instead of straight arms. I can finally fully relax into the seat.

My vertical altitude is only 5'5" so my arms are really short. You might get by with the risers. I'd try that first, but do get your elbows bent, it will make a large difference. Id send you my risers, but my son already stole them off my bench and now tells me I have to help him put them on his bike today... Oh well..

:thumbup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dose it solve the low speed jerking

·
Registered
770 Posts
Dose it solve the low speed jerking
No it does not. The solution to slow speed jerking is to get the bike into second gear. I do all my slow speed operations in second gear. The Goldwing has so much torque it is almost impossible to stall the engine. I do this so much, my friends call me Short Shift.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I'm 5'10", 175 lbs, and will buying the Helibars for a winter install. Ran down to racine wisconsin on the superslab and experienced the shoulder blade pain others speak of. I've been riding, pretending I have the bars back and up to try and find what I need. I believe the adjustability of the helibars will fit the bill the best. It's just going to be more work to remove it all when working on the front end in the future.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What about cable/wire reach with these bars? Do the originals all reach?
I have a 2016 I'm thinking about changing my reach, either the normal riser blocks, or Helibars, still thinking it over.
Thanks
RT

·
Registered
774 Posts
The best option:

·
Registered
59 Posts
MBL Comfort Ride pt# 1803s
The install took me about 2 hours, most of that was the plastic, cover piece.
It put the bars about where they should be, a great improvement for slow speed, bump-stop steering. My pain is gone, bennyheen couldn't had done a better job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts