GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...no flames please...

I currently have been riding a 650 Burgman (yes...a scooter -- first bike) for the past year and a half and have always dreamed of having a GW. My question for the board is just how hard will it be for me to handle? I am 6'2", 30" inseam, 195lbs.

Thanks for your kind words of advise!!!

Gordon

·
Registered
598 Posts
5-09 and 175 lbs. here. I keep in reasonable shape but nothing spectacular. No problem for me. You shouldn't have any problems. Find a friend that has one and sit on it. If you didn't know it's weight, I bet you wouldn't guess it was an 800 lb. bike. Very well balanced with a low center of gravity.

Welcome to the 'Wing world!!

Paul H.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You're going to love the Wing, Gordon. The Wing was my first bike after about a 20 year hiatus. Just take it easy to get the feel of the bike. You're going from a relatively light-weight 650cc to a 800lb+ 1800cc.

Enjoy. 8)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Gordon,

Try to get a free ride at a Dealer that offers it. Or find someone with a Wing and just sit on it, if they won't let you ride it.

The Wing is a breed of it's own.

"Zoom zoom zoom"

Bulldog

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Gordon,
It's not about your height, weight, or strength.
Nobody can just muscle to Goldwing around.
Handling the Goldwing is alll about technique. You can learn.
People of all sizes ride the Goldwing.
You can't just get on an go. You must practice.
But, if you commit to practicing to ride the Goldwing you can have a great time.
You should ride something between your scooter and the Goldwing for awhile in order to increase you skill and confidence.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Gordon,
Thats quite a leap but I've heard that some here actually bought a Goldwing as their first bike. :eek:4: Anyway I think you could have a few fitment issues. Your short inseam could cause you some minor stability concerns but some very shortlegged riders do seem to manage ok. Also the weight and power transition would take a little getting used to but should be doable. You should definitely try to test ride one just to make sure. Terry

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The Wing to me has been the easiest bike to handle. I find it very nimble with good power. It's like a sport bike with luggage. 8)

·
Registered
43 Posts
CJS said:
Gordon,
But, if you commit to practicing to ride the Goldwing you can have a great time.
You should ride something between your scooter and the Goldwing for awhile in order to increase you skill and confidence.
The above says it all for me, an excellent post 8) I am only 5'8 with a 29" inside leg :oops: and i don't have any problem at all. i came from an ST1300 and the Wing is the best bike I have ever owned> Good luck and enjoy

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I got on an 1800 after 20 years off of motorcycles. Took just a little practicing, but I found it easy to handle. I doubt you would have any problems, but only you know for sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My wing was my first motorcycle I ever bought. I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam. It took some pratice on handling the bike, but I am doing just fine. Have a good time with your new bike. I love mine.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I know a girl in Fort Lauderdale that rides her Dad's 1800 all the time; she's about 5'3" and 100 pounds dripping weight.
Ride it a bit and take the MSF ERC.
It's all about physical skills, not physical size.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thank you all for your words of advise and encouragement!!!

My concern is not with the power of the bike as I am not into the "power" mode -- my main concern would be handling the weight when stopping (maybe less than perfectly). Yes, I know it will take practice -- and I do not mind that!

Your advise to go sit on one (or test ride) is GREAT. However, my local dealer wouldn't even let me SIT ON ONE!!! Plus, he laughed when I showed him what I was riding. Needless to say I WILL NEVER STEP ANOTHER FOOT IN THAT PLACE!!!

If there is anyone living near the Yorktown,VA area who would not mind me sitting on their GW I would certainly appreciate it!!!

Now comes the time to be patient and wait for a deal to come my way. I figure right now I could afford an 02-03. If anyone comes across any info...please send them my way -- I do not mind paying for shipping!!!

Gordon

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
ddking said:
I got on an 1800 after 20 years off of motorcycles. Took just a little practicing, but I found it easy to handle. I doubt you would have any problems, but only you know for sure.

Me too.....was no problem.....you may have to grow some legs though! :shock: Just kidding. I am 6'2" also but am mostly legs.
Wing is very easy handling bike. Heavy, but ok if you keep it straight up.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Gordon Parr said:
I thank you all for your words of advise and encouragement!!!

My concern is not with the power of the bike as I am not into the "power" mode -- my main concern would be handling the weight when stopping (maybe less than perfectly). Yes, I know it will take practice -- and I do not mind that!

Your advise to go sit on one (or test ride) is GREAT. However, my local dealer wouldn't even let me SIT ON ONE!!! Plus, he laughed when I showed him what I was riding. Needless to say I WILL NEVER STEP ANOTHER FOOT IN THAT PLACE!!!

If there is anyone living near the Yorktown,VA area who would not mind me sitting on their GW I would certainly appreciate it!!!

Now comes the time to be patient and wait for a deal to come my way. I figure right now I could afford an 02-03. If anyone comes across any info...please send them my way -- I do not mind paying for shipping!!!

Gordon
Gordon, You can do it. Just don't rush into any wild riding. I think what the people meant about the power is actually the bottom end torque. When you twist the throttle while in first gear the bike seems to jump ahead. You have to get used to it.

As far as going back to that dealer, I would as soon as I got the 1800 and was comfortable with it. Just make sure he sees you when you pull up to ask a question about it :lol: :lol: It will make his day.

Ross

·
Registered
705 Posts
My concern is not with the power of the bike as I am not into the "power" mode -- my main concern would be handling the weight when stopping (maybe less than perfectly).
My friend you may not be into the power mode, but the bike is, I think there were some very good words of advice here.

It is a big step up from 650CC to 1800CC's Take the test ride first.

I remember when I went from a Piper Pa 28-140 to a Mooney 201 complex aircraft,

I remember my words to my IP on the takeoff roll were I think, Holly S_ _ _ _

I didn't say that with the wing because I was coming off a 1500CC machine. But the Wing is entirely a different animal then a 650CC machine.

Enjoy, but be careful

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
CJS said:
Gordon,
I agree with this. I had owned 8 motorcycles before the GW, and had ridden for about 30 years, including a few years roadracing big bikes. But the GW took all new skills for me to learn.

Taking a course will help you learn the basics - especially in slow speed manuevers - this is what makes the GW a handfull. Riding at speed is a piece of cake. But unitil you learn to ride slow speed manuevers, and understand and can implement the "friction" method, you will come across situations that are a handfull. This is especially true riding into a crowded gas station or parking lot where you are at a crawl.

But it is all about technique, not size or strength.

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The Burgman weighs between 500 and 600 pounds, the Goldwing weighs around 800 pounds.....center of gravity is different, DON'T FORGET TO SHIFT!

What everyone else has said - practice, practice, practice and take the course.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts