GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my front end shakes at around 35 - 40 mph when riding without hands on the handlebars. There is no perceptable shake with hands on the bars.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does this indicate a problem?(other than riding with hands on is safer).

Comments are appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
You'll get lots of input....

...as to why. Head bearing need tightening. Rear tire. Front tire. Bottom line: Most of these bikes do this, including mine. Generally not that much of a problem -- just don't take your hands off the handlebars. If it is a problem with hands-on, then need to investigate further. If only with hands-off, I would not worry about it and just ride. I have 32+k miles on mine with no bad result.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hands Free Steering Shake

This poor subject has been beat to death over the past few weeks and there have been some very knowledgeable posts on the subject. The problem for the average rider is that the shakes can be caused by several things on the Bike and I for one have zero idea where mine originates. It goes something like this. Could be upper fork bearings are not adjusted properly. It might be the front tire or maybe the back tire. It could be that the shakes are just part of the Goldwing itself. Maybe some smart guy will point us in the right direction. For now, I just keep my hands on the handlebars and keep wondering.

Art Vomberg

·
Registered
317 Posts
My shakes came from the rear tire. My dealer was commited to finding the problem. He had gone through the front end and had got the OK from Honda to replace a few parts. I have 60k on mine. He said everything was to spec's on the front. Took a good look at the rear tire and saw a blemish in the tread. Changed the rear tire. Good as new.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I have not owned a Goldwing that did not shake with hands off riding. I asked a lot of questions about this and the best answer I got was this, "Young feller, what in hell are ya ridin a motorsickle, without yer dern hands on the bars"?

You know what, that was pretty good advice and I can't tell you if my present 1800 shakes or not.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Is it normal for the front end to wobble at around 45 mph with both hands off the handlebars? No, it is not normal for anyone to ride with both hands off the handlebars. Not preaching, it's just a fact, your arms are part of the front suspension, and the suspension will not operate normally hands off, as long as the shakes are easily controlled by the hands on, it's not a problem, even a mild shake with hands on is normal. If you can't keep it to a mild shake, then it needs to have something done.

Motorcycles used to come with adjustable dampers for things like that, and they are still a popular aftermarket item for the sportbike riders.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I had 13k miles on the original stones, and my 02 was starting to shake on decel at that speed. I replaced the tires, and now it's gone. Don't know which tire caused it or if it was both, but I never touched the fork bearings.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Frontend shake

Let me stick my 2¢ in here. I had a little shake on deceleration but I kept my hands on the grips and everything was OK. I recently had a fork seal let go and the local dealer replaced both sides and put in fresh fork oil. I just thaught I would see if that affected the shake. It is gone and I'm still running the nearly worn out, slick in the rain, Dunlops.
So there is one more reason to go along with the steering head bearings, worn front tire and worn rear tire.
Like Bullsh..... errr.... Bulldog said. "Just hang on and twist the throttle.
:chat:
Jerry

Hi Bulldog.....Got snow??????????

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jerry,

If it ain't snowing it is raining. I have the Pearl Blue, in a million pieces. cleaning them one at a time. By the time spring gets here, I should be back together all shiny.

Dawg

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
I noticed a shake after the original stones started cupping. After putting new Dunlops on the shake went away. Now it has returned. I think what is happening is that upon deceleration an oscillation occurs that is causing the uneven wear which after some time begins to translate into the wobble which is in turn causing further accelerated wear.

Remember the rake on this Wing is relatively steep compared to previous models and more of the weight transfer is happening at this greater angle.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
My 04 with 3400 miles on it will try to 'lightly' shake the bars as posted in the orig question.

I have also noticed that in a slow sharp turn, I can feel the tread of the front tire wiggling the bars . A very odd sensation till you know what it is.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi all,
Nobody has mentioned installing a "Superbrace".
the bars on our '02 wiggle a little at low speeds, and the original BS tires have about 12K on 'em. Some cupping on the front, but not bad.
Has anyone tried a Superbrace?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
rchawk49 said:
Hi all,
Nobody has mentioned installing a "Superbrace".
the bars on our '02 wiggle a little at low speeds, and the original BS tires have about 12K on 'em. Some cupping on the front, but not bad.
Has anyone tried a Superbrace?
Thanks
The Superbrace would be a different topic altogether.... JMHO :D

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
My 1500 also had the wobble as the tires wore. Every time the tires were replaced the wobble went away. Superbrace did NOT make a difference. My '77 750 Honda behaved the same way also. My Suzuki and Yahmaha's never wobbled.

My 1800:

1st set of tires - Bridgestones = no wobble
2nd set Dunlops = wobble from day one
3rd set Dunlops = no wobble for the life of the tires
4th set Dunlops = very slight wobble again

Nothing else was changed on the bike!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
FRONT END WOBBLE

I HAVE 10800 ON MY 03 AIR PRESSURE HAS ALWAYS BEEN HIGHER THAN FACTORY SPEC. SOME LIGHT CUPPING IS SHOWING. I NOTICE A LIGHT WOBBLE AT ABOUT 15 TO 20 MPH (WITH HANDS OFF HANDLE BARS) I'AM ALSO STILL RUNNING DUNLOPS.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
when I put on my new Metzeler's,there was no wobble.After 4-5000 miles,a wobble started to develop.I now have around 11,000 and there is a wobble at around 40 mph,but only if I take my hands off.
I just keep my hands on the bars and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
New tires, old tires, The Black Pearl wobbles in the range of 35 to 45 mph.

But I have good news, it only wobbles when no hands are on the bars AND I am decelerating. Yippee, the good news is that you can ride "no hands" while you have the cruise control on :D .

It is kinda nice to be able to stretch a little while on the long, boring part of a super slab that you wish you could have avoided in the first place.

Otherwise, just do it with a professional driver on a closed course, of course :wink:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Superbrace

Not trying to open a debate on superbrace. Superbrace will not help this wobble. I am trying a superbrace to see what it does about the front tire cupping. Put it on with a new front tire. Not enough miles yet to see if it is worthwhile. My brace never caused my forks to bind.

My 2 cents on the wobble is get a new set of tires, the new Metzler's are suppose to be better, and tighten your steering head bearing.

In the fall of '02 I received one of the bad front Metzler tires. The wobble was severe, they replaced the tire for free, and life was good again. I still ride Metzler tires. The severe wobble happened only on deacceleration downhill. Metzler knew what the problem was & they took care of it accordingly.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Jim,
I do have Metzlers on, so that could be part or all of the problem (well, it really isn't much of a problem, is it?).

A friend of mine and I bought identical wings at the same time. I hated my Dunlops and changed them at 10,000 miles with the Metz, which I love.

He called my attention to the decel wobble with his Stones.

My opinion is that nearly all MCs do this and it is no big deal.

I meant to put in my post above, that I can't see how a Super Brace could play any positive role with this wobble. I know some 1500 riders felt a real need for them, which I didn't even though I rode the 1500 like I stole it.

Like you, I don't think there is any reason for a Super Brace, but we sure don't need another debate on that or the Belly Pan. We all know where we stand. However, if you do find any value in it, please drop me a note.

Thanks,

·
Registered
38 Posts
My wobble developed on my original Bridgestones at exactly 13,000 miles. It went away after I put new tires on, they happened to be Dunlops. I changed the Dunlops at 10,000 miles because I was going on a 7,000 mile trip but had no wobble. My new Dunlops have 7,000 miles with no wobble. For what it's worth, I think the wobble is directly related to rear tire wear. I know the Metzlers had tons of problems when they first came out with their 1800 tires. A dealer told me that the frame is so rigid that minor variations in the tire are transmitted through the frame to the handlebars. From my experience I believe that to be true and I just change the tires when necessary. :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts