GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about a RTE Friday or Saturday to Lum's in Junction for a little BBQ.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Thinking about a RTE Friday or Saturday to Lum's in Junction for a little BBQ.

Mapquest says that is 754 miles from Tucson to Junction and less than 10.5 hours.

You could have a great ride, great meal, and do a BBG in only one day.

Gotta be some IBA guys nearby to do that with you.

Go fer it Ken

Gramps

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mapquest says that is 754 miles from Tucson to Junction and less than 10.5 hours.

You could have a great ride, great meal, and do a BBG in only one day.

Gotta be some IBA guys nearby to do that with you.

Go fer it Ken

Gramps
Kinda the informal plan :). Figure depart around mid-night, lunch in Junction a little after noon and home 2200 to 2300. With that schedule I will miss the critters and be in Texas for the high speed run during day light. Best part, if it doesn't work out I will have had a good ride and some BBQ, it's win win.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Made it to Junction and back Saturday night Sunday day for a BBQ-BBG. It was a good ride. Not too hot, just saw a little over a 100F a couple of times and the low was about 70F west of Deming Sunday morning. Only rained on briefly a couple of times, love I-10 but wish I could figure out a way to avoid El Paso.

I know I have to decide on an Aux fuel tank, spent way too much time stopped, over 2hours and 30 minutes, mostly because not enough fuel to make it to the next fuel and too much to stop. Only problem is every Aux tank I look at has something I don't like, guess I will have to settle on the least worse.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Made it to Junction and back Saturday night Sunday day for a BBQ-BBG. It was a good ride. Not too hot, just saw a little over a 100F a couple of times and the low was about 70F west of Deming Sunday morning. Only rained on briefly a couple of times, love I-10 but wish I could figure out a way to avoid El Paso.

I know I have to decide on an Aux fuel tank, spent way too much time stopped, over 2hours and 30 minutes, mostly because not enough fuel to make it to the next fuel and too much to stop. Only problem is every Aux tank I look at has something I don't like, guess I will have to settle on the least worse.

I was wondering Saturday and Sunday if you were going to go or not.

Congrats!

I have the 5 gallon Tourtank http://www.tourtank.com/ that I can mount on the passengers seat or rig up some king of trailer hitch type carrier. I bought the extra black bag for the tank so that it is not so conspicuous.

It is OK to use in IBA rallies too. Some of the bikes at the IBA party in Jacksonville had them mounted.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Oh Oh, Grampa is getting into it....

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I have a tourtank, that I need to mount on the rear seat. (Gravity), That 3 day 1088 confirmed that I need it. 20+ fuel stops...not fun.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Oh Oh, Grampa is getting into it....

Yep, us middle aged guys have gotta help each other out.

I have the 5 gallon Tourtank and the Utopia backrest and the tank must be raised quite high off the rear seat in order to clear the Utopia........bummer.

·
Administrator
3,793 Posts
Can a Texas boy play in an Arizona thread?:lol:

If I'm going to try to keep up with you guys I'm considering an auxilliary tank also. I don't want to spend the money for one of QD's tanks yet, for I'm not sure how much longer I'll be trying to make long rides as night. For that reason, the relatively inexpensive Tour Tank looks appealing.

The down side is that if I mount it on the rear seat it appears that it would interfere with opening the trunk. What kind of experience have you guys had with that?

Glen

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Can a Texas boy play in an Arizona thread?:lol: If'n anyone complains........flame em and flame em good. :p

The down side is that if I mount it on the rear seat it appears that it would interfere with opening the trunk. What kind of experience have you guys had with that?

Glen

I just went out to the garage and loosely put the tank on the rear seat wedged between the Utopia and the passenger backrest and I could compress the sides of the passenger backrest enough to open the trunk lid up to 7".

I will use a quick disconnect at the back seat and be able to set the tank on the ground in less than a minute.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I have the 20 inch one. It is longer and not as high. I can open the truck enough to get in.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I have the 20 inch one. It is longer and not as high. I can open the truck enough to get in.

I have the 5 gallon one, 10" X 20" with the outlet and fill cap centered. Bought all of the hose and fittings from JEGS.com.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts