GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of my '08 trike conversion a couple of weeks ago. Great service by CStanley of Middleburg, PA. Very smooth ride which is essential for my wife's arthritic hip. No complaints there.
However, the rear brakes are pathetic. Hitting the rear brakes has almost no effect on stopping so all stopping power is on the front. This, obviously, does not result in a safe stopping distance. I was looking at getting a trailer but I don't think I would be able stop safely with the extra weight pushing me.
Has anyone experienced this problem with Hannigan or any other trike with disk brakes? It's scary! I would think the stopping power would be greater, or at least equal to, a bike. Sure, there's more weight but there's also now two rotors and calipers on the back.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Took delivery of my '08 trike conversion a couple of weeks ago. Great service by CStanley of Middleburg, PA. Very smooth ride which is essential for my wife's arthritic hip. No complaints there.
However, the rear brakes are pathetic. Hitting the rear brakes has almost no effect on stopping so all stopping power is on the front. This, obviously, does not result in a safe stopping distance. I was looking at getting a trailer but I don't think I would be able stop safely with the extra weight pushing me.
Has anyone experienced this problem with Hannigan or any other trike with disk brakes? It's scary! I would think the stopping power would be greater, or at least equal to, a bike. Sure, there's more weight but there's also now two rotors and calipers on the back.
Sounds like something is definitely wrong. I have disc's on my '09 MT rear and they work great. Very rarely ever use the front brake. Hannigan is an excellent kit IMO and most others who have them from what I've read. Think I'd get them checked under warranty ASAP.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Most likely the cause George.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hannigan Rear Brakes

When I first Hanniganized my 2009 Goldwing I had the same low power brakes you report on the rear and pedal was soft. I took it back next day and they bled both sides and got a little air out of both sides. Since then I have had a hard pedal with good rear brakes stopping power. Been the same now for almost two years and 22k miles with no additional bleeding. I tow an Escapade trailer on long trips and have the braking power for it as well, albeit with a little more stopping distance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I'm taking it back next week to have the brakes bled.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hannigan Brakes

We've got a two year old Hannigan and the brakes are excellent. We pull a Bushtec and if needed I can lock up the rear brakes anytime I want. Won't guess what's wrong,but something is.
Bill Catlett

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Badger, prepare yourself for the fact that your installer might never get your rear brakes as firm as you might like. All trike manufacturers keep the existing Honda brake master cylinder. IMHO, the original brake master cylinder is just not large enough for the extra volume of brake fluid that's it's pushing to the larger rear brake calipers, plus the original front calipers.

Does mine stop me? Yes. Will they lock up? Yes. Do I get the hard firm feeling that I desire at the brake foot pedal? No! A bleeding of the rear system will help but mine has never felt as I would like them to be. It's never failed to stop me when I needed to stop, but I am one of those who desires a firm hard brake pedal. Call me weird!

Ride safe,

Wayne

·
Registered
197 Posts
Badger, prepare yourself for the fact that your installer might never get your rear brakes as firm as you might like. All trike manufacturers keep the existing Honda brake master cylinder. IMHO, the original brake master cylinder is just not large enough for the extra volume of brake fluid that's it's pushing to the larger rear brake calipers, plus the original front calipers.

Does mine stop me? Yes. Will they lock up? Yes. Do I get the hard firm feeling that I desire at the brake foot pedal? No! A bleeding of the rear system will help but mine has never felt as I would like them to be. It's never failed to stop me when I needed to stop, but I am one of those who desires a firm hard brake pedal. Call me weird!

Ride safe,

Wayne
:agree:, with the exception of locking them up as I have ABS on a CSC kit!:bow:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the same issue. I have to press much harder than I think should be necessary. I use my front brakes to assist, and have had to really get down on both front and rear brakes a few times along with gearing down to get it stopped in time. It can be scary!:eek:4:

It's about time to flush and change fluid. I hope that helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts