GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to go "Darkside" when my hack is installed. I have a few questions.

1. What is "double Darkside?

2. What is the best size for sidecarring?

3. Why would I want run flat tires when they are so easily plugged.

4. What are the most popular brands in use?

Thanks, Robert.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts

Double darkside is when you run a car tire on the rear and generally a MC rear tire on the front.

That I can't tell you my friend, as I don't run a sidecar, but on the bike itself I'm going to say use the same size you normally would. Your Darkside rear should be a 195/55-16 and the front should be 130/70-18, with the Bridgestone BT-45 being one of the most popular if going double dark. If you stay with a MC tire on the front, the tire size is the same, and you have many choices. My recommendation if you stay with a MC tire on the front is the Bridgestone G709.

Because if you pick up a nail, you probably won't ever know until you check your tire pressure, and you can still plug it. With a non-run flat, when it goes flat, you will know it. No different than having a flat on a MC tire.

For the rear, right now, the Driveguard RF, Pirelli P1 RF, and the Pirelli Snow Control RF, are the most commonly used. The Driveguard seems to be best for general riding, and with a sidecar on there, probably your best choice. Either one of the Pirelli's would be good if you're really into the twisties. For the front, as I said above, motorcycle tire I'd go with the Bridgestone G709, others may recommend the Dunlop E4. Double dark, go with the BT-45.

Thanks, Robert.

Robert, I hope this helps, ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Double darkside is when you run a car tire on the rear and generally a MC rear tire on the front.

That I can't tell you my friend, as I don't run a sidecar, but on the bike itself I'm going to say use the same size you normally would. Your Darkside rear should be a 195/55-16 and the front should be 130/70-18, with the Bridgestone BT-45 being one of the most popular if going double dark. If you stay with a MC tire on the front, the tire size is the same, and you have many choices. My recommendation if you stay with a MC tire on the front is the Bridgestone G709.

Because if you pick up a nail, you probably won't ever know until you check your tire pressure, and you can still plug it. With a non-run flat, when it goes flat, you will know it. No different than having a flat on a MC tire.

For the rear, right now, the Driveguard RF, Pirelli P1 RF, and the Pirelli Snow Control RF, are the most commonly used. The Driveguard seems to be best for general riding, and with a sidecar on there, probably your best choice. Either one of the Pirelli's would be good if you're really into the twisties. For the front, as I said above, motorcycle tire I'd go with the Bridgestone G709, others may recommend the Dunlop E4. Double dark, go with the BT-45.

Thanks, Robert.

Robert, I hope this helps, ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

Thanks, Hannigan is going to mount a Kumho Ecsta 4X II 195 55 16 on the rear of the bike and a 180 rear tire on the front with a wide brace and reduced trail. I guess that is "double Darkside". Of course, the hack will have a car tire. I'm thinking they are blowing smoke as far as the mileage on these tires. They are claiming up to 60,000 miles per set. How far off is the speedometer with this tire size and where does the Honda pick up the speed, front or rear?

Thanks, Robert.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I run a Champion Daytona 2+2 with the Driveguard, Bridgestone BT45 combo. Between riding some WV twisties, and two lane with not a lot of freeway miles I average 13-15k on the a set of tires. The G709 last about 9k for me. Best ever rear tire mileage was a Firestone Firehawk at 20k. Just remember a flat profile rear tire is okay, you don't need the rounded edge. That hack is always pulling or pushing on the bike. On my 04 and 08 the Speedo error was the same as MC tire at about 3 mph fast.

You sure they're putting a 180 on the front? A 140/70-18 comes close to rubbing the fender!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I run a Champion Daytona 2+2 with the Driveguard, Bridgestone BT45 combo. Between riding some WV twisties, and two lane with not a lot of freeway miles I average 13-15k on the a set of tires. The G709 last about 9k for me. Best ever rear tire mileage was a Firestone Firehawk at 20k. Just remember a flat profile rear tire is okay, you don't need the rounded edge. That hack is always pulling or pushing on the bike. On my 04 and 08 the Speedo error was the same as MC tire at about 3 mph fast.

You sure they're putting a 180 on the front? A 140/70-18 comes close to rubbing the fender!
I believe Hannigan does a mod to the front end. About $1800 dollars worth. Similar to the old style Earls Fork(?)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe Hannigan does a mod to the front end. About $1800 dollars worth. Similar to the old style Earls Fork(?)
It's now $2895.00 for lite steer, wheel brake mods and fender installed with another $340.00 for fork brace and heavy springs.

Robert

·
Registered
868 Posts
I run double dark on my Tow Pac trike setup and use a Drive Guard in the rear and BT-45 up front... Typically get about 15-17K rear and 17-20K front... Should be great combination for hack setup as well...

·
Registered
679 Posts
It's now $2895.00 for lite steer, wheel brake mods and fender installed with another $340.00 for fork brace and heavy springs.

Robert
Wowtch! Probably worth it tho. I'm sure you're on pins and needles waiting. Hope you enjoy the whole set-up. The wife and l really like ours. This is our 3rd car from Dave & Ruthanne.
How are they doing or have they retired and left it with the kids?
Keep in touch, and if l can help in any way, I'll try to do whatever l can. Just drop me a line on the Private Msg feature.
Tell Dave & Ruthanne that Jim & Gay said hello and best wishes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts