GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anymore thoughts on the R18 or the Hannigan reverse trike... The Hannigan drives great... Easy as easy... Haven't ridden the R18 yet. But really like the kit integration with the GW..It really looks tuff and cool... The Hannigan from a looks dept just doesn't have the styling that is needed to trip my trigger on the blending with GW fairing.. It seems like a wussy bubble tack on..I don't think it would scare a dog off the road.. Engineering wise it's great.. When talking to Hannigan,.. "The Man" Gordon.... He said it was a matter of cost.. I don't know, I'd gladly pay more for a tougher looking front.. and may have to, if I decide to go with R18... :trike:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gene's Gallery converted my friends Goldwing 1800 to the R18 this spring. Way over priced but it is nice looking which is why my friend bought it. Long trips will wear you out because it is hard steering at any speed. On bumpy roads the front end is unstable and will bounce around even a half a lane over. He says the suspension just beats him and his wife up. I and others noticed that the bike doesn't set level. Gene's Gallery says they can't help with the problems because essentially they just install parts. They don't even have tools to adjust the shocks. I haven't bored you will all of problems I have helped my friend fix. Honda dealers don't want to service it now. I welcome input if someone has insights to the suspension problems. I think the shocks are not set right or are bad. Another friend loves her CAN AM Spyder with power steering and a good ride but it is expensive to service. We ride all over the country.
I would go Spyder for the money you put into an R18. Pick carefully and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would look deeper when deciding which trike to go with. As the saying goes "beauty is only skin deep". It's what's under the skin that really matters. Everything I know and have heard about the Can-Am and the Hannigan makes me think either one is going to be a better buy.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Why would cooling need to enter in the equation.... something that's not needed? Plus for Hannigan.

Low rolling resistance tires, aerodynamic body/fenders etc... probably has the least impact on gas mileage. Plus for Hannigan.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Big time issues with a Hannigan Roadster with cooling. 90 deg. days and it over heats at highway speeds in an irregular pattern. Drained rad. and cleaned with white vinegar and water and replaced AF with Engine Ice no change. Trike goes in today for a new thermostat. Installer says he has talked with Hannigan and they have had no complaints with overheating. Fans are working at low speeds,I can't hear them at high speed but they should be off. I will post with results when I get it back.

·
Registered
633 Posts
With the low nose the air has a straight shot at the radiators, I have not had any over heating problems in 2 1/2 years, with temps pushing 100 several days this year. Reacts no different than it did as a 2 wheeler. As for gas mileage I average around 38 but have got up to 42 along the Blue Ridge Pkwy with it’s lower speed limits.

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Big time issues with a Hannigan Roadster with cooling. 90 deg. days and it over heats at highway speeds in an irregular pattern. Drained rad. and cleaned with white vinegar and water and replaced AF with Engine Ice no change. Trike goes in today for a new thermostat. Installer says he has talked with Hannigan and they have had no complaints with overheating. Fans are working at low speeds,I can't hear them at high speed but they should be off. I will post with results when I get it back.
Any update on your overheating problem?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Still waiting on overheating issue. First Honda dealer was VERY reluctant about working on it and his Goldwing tech was out of action. Parts are on order to replace thermostat and water pump. Work to be done by a off brand shop. Parts are due in on 9/6/18. Rode it yesterday(88Deg,) and it seems to heat up at higher speeds,65-70+. Slow down under 55 or stop and it cools down. That tells me it is a high speed air flow problem, but I am no expert. Mech. suggested dumping the engine ice and returning to Honda AF. I will report back. I am afraid of using it,thank God for two bikes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will soon post a report of my 6,000 mile experience with my Hannigan Roadster conversion, but for the moment I'd like to comment on bnordt04's issue about overheating.

I have ridden my Roadster many times in stop-and-go traffic at 95+ degrees, and the cooling fans do not come on more often than they did prior to the conversion.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The problem seems not to be low speed or stop and go. It is on the highway at higher speeds when the fans are off. Rode today 82-88 deg. and while not excessive heat it reached the first white line above center and slightly above. It seems to me that the turbulence caused by high speed air is causing a reduced air flow through the radiators. New thermostat and water pump to be installed next week(after the 8th.)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Latest on Hannigan Roadster. Anti-freeze dumped and rad. drained and cleaned put in Engine Ice. No change,still overheats. Thermostat and water pump replaced and Honda AF used. Work done by a certified Honda tech. It seems better but the outside temps are down by app. 20deg. Hannigan and the installer have no answers and I am awaiting the results of their latest pow-wow. I still think it is the result of air flow issues possibly caused by the optional storage box in the nose. Maybe not a direct blockage but a air flow turbulence. I may not know the answer until next summers hot weather if ever. Stand by for the next chapter.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I spoke to Dave Hannigan yesterday and he had no real answers to my problem other than it was bound to run a "little" hotter and he has had no other complaints. He stated he has ridden Roadsters and quads(same nose) and never reached the boil over /red gauge point. No answers and no offer of any help. I will have to wait until summer"19"for some hot weather (85-90+) for a better test. He did suggest to remove the belly pan,which I did yesterday. I was not impressed with the level of factory help but I will wait until next year. This year has been a major bust for riding.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The belly pan was an aluminum MacGuyver brand purchased from Wing stuff. It was destroyed in the removal process. I have had a belly pan on all three of my 1800's(350,000miles) and not had a problem but Dave Hannigan suggested removal so I did so. Maybe time will tell.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks,that is what I thought it might be. My belly pan would not fit once the conversion was done due to the two frame rails that run back to the former center stand location. I did use some of it to make a small shield for the overflow tank.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I had to loosen the two front to rear braces to remove the pan. Have you had any issues with your conversion? Who did your install? I will PM you with my phone #.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Made all the corrections suggested by the installer. Spoke to Dave Hannigan.(owner) and he had nothing new to add except that he has not had any problems with any one else's Roadster trike. Rode to southern Va. and was very uncomfortable with the high speed handling. Rode in app. 60 deg temp in the rain at 35-50 mph. and it overheated again. Returned home and sold it to a used bike dealer. This has been the worst and costliest motorcycle situation I have ever experienced. Extremely disappointed in both the Hannigan unit and the customer service. Needless to say I will never buy another Hannigan product.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts