GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I ordered my new Sierra yesterday :excited:and it should be sitting at my house prior to me getting back from Iraq next week. Do I need anything different for wiring the trailer? Hannigan said the trailer comes with the correct plug to connect to the hitch but I wanted to see what you guys found upon arrival?

If any of you are using a Rivco hitch, what inch drop for the ball did you need to use? I haven't put a hitch on it yet but I am looking at either the Rivco or the Bushtec V2.

Any issues with the bra fading the paint or causing any other issues or advice for a new owner?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I have a 1996 Hannigan Europa that came factory 2-tone pearl white w/silver panels. Over a period of 6 years or so, the bra did "fade" the paint underneath. Since I had it repainted 3 years ago to the Pearl Hot Rod Yellow, I always remove the bra and keep the trailer covered (factory cover) when not using it. I also remove the bra whenever I wash the trailer or after riding in the rain, I'll remove the bra for overnight stays to help it dry out.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hannigan Owner

Hi Tim,

I picked up our new Hannigan Sierra trailer yesterday and so, I've not had much experience with the trailer. I presently have a Bushtec hitch and wired the Hannigan connector to the Bushtec supplied isolator. I've used a Rivco hitch in the past and would have no problem recommending either one. I can say from experience that Bushtec's service and help is excellent.

Hannigan recommended removing the bra while storing the trailer and when the bra got wet while traveling. They said the clearcoat paint had gotten cloudy in the past when a wet bra was left on for longer periods of time. The bra has 4 snaps and it's pretty easy to remove.

I think the Rivco 3" drop is about an inch higher than my Bushtec hitch and it would be OK. I think the 6" drop may be too low.

The trailer safety chain was supplied unattached and I was told that most people just looped the chain through the rest stand on the bottom of the tongue. I don't like that idea because I think the chain will rub off the chrome and then it will rust. If I drill a hole to anchor the chain, it will probably rust eventually. I may place plastic tubing around the chain I just haven't decided yet. Maybe some other owners will chime in with their ideas.

I think its a pretty well made trailer and another plus is that I only live 30 miles from their factory.

Good luck with your tailer and be careful over there.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rick & Ray,

Congrats Ray and you are very lucky indeed living so close. I would love to go out and pick mine up but it is out of the question this time. I just lucked out, because when I called they had the color I needed and it was just lacking a couple options so I didn't have to wait several months as I have heard people post here before.

Post some pics of your new setup. I am searching on here now for a Dark Red Wing and trailer pictures that maybe someone posted.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
NCO5WING...Congratulations on the new Sierra. You will LOVE it. I don't have much to say on the wiring issue. When I got mine it was wired for 6 pin round and I had to re-wire it to 5 pin round. I'll echo what others are saying about the bra. On when traveling, off when storing. And...........
:bow: THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR SERVICE! :bow:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Goinsr,

Thanks, I can't wait to get home and try it out.

B

·
0 Posts
Tim:

A Hannigan was a wise decision, you won't be disappointed. Where is home?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
:congrats: on your new trailer, you will really enjoy pulling a Hannigan. We have a Europa II we picked up in Aug.08 and have logged about 4000 miles so far. Pulls like a dream. As Ray N. said we remove the bra after every ride. I have not even waxed the trailer yet, Hannigan said to wait for the clear coat to cure, about 8 to 12 weeks. No problems with paint. We also have a bushtec hitch, and the trailer sits level prefectly.

Picking our new trailer up at Hannigans Aug. 1st 2008

Enjoy your new trailer.
Lee

·
Registered
121 Posts
Tim,

Congratulations on your selection of a Hannigan Sierra. Unlike most folks on this board, I leave my Sierra connected to my 'Wing. I've got 22,000 miles on my Hannigan and it looks now the way it did brand new. The only thing I changed out (cut off, actually) was the square 6 plug connector. I replaced it with a 5 round plug, since it only had 5 wires in the first place.

I, too, take the bra off (most of the time) when the trailer is in the garage. I have, yet, to take a trip with it, but, I don't drive the car any more to go shopping unless there's snow or ice on the ground which there has been quite a bit of here in Lexington, Ky this past month.

Any way, good luck with your Hannigan. I'm willing to bet that 27 cubic feet will provide you with plenty of carrying space.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Congrats on the trailer! Hannigan makes a great looking trailer.

Roy, fantastic looking rig!

Ride safely,
Alex

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tim:

A Hannigan was a wise decision, you won't be disappointed. Where is home?
Jacksonville, NC, just got word it will be delivered NLT 27 Feb (day I arrive home !!), should be sweet, will post pics later!!

Thanks for all the kind words and pictures of your rigs, it is making me even more anxious to get home and set it up. I ordered a Rivco so hopefully I did allright.

B

·
0 Posts
That thread link I PM'd you should give you all the help you will need to install the Rivco. Coolhand did a first class job on his install and the Rivco is pretty easy, even for nu-bees. The most trouble I had was finding room behind the rear fender for the isolator and all the wiring. But it will fit. Having a $60 Sears lift would aid the install but it isn't absolutely necessary. I have found the higher you get the Goldwing in the air, the easier it is to clean it all over from top to bottom.

Also, I would avoid the temptation of taking the Sierra for a ride without first installing a long enough mud flap (but not long enough that it would drag). Those 'lil stones and debris fly outa that rear tire like bullets and will easily puncture the protection of the bra. I used a one inch aluminum flat bar (Home Depot) to make the mud flap bracket and bought the rubber flap at the auto parts store. Good luck. Holler for help if you need it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts