1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
707 Posts
Are you going to tell us how you did it? I hate reaching under the spoiler to get to the trunk release latch.

I got tired of reaching under the whales tail to open the trike trunk. Note the OEM remote is used in this application. I think it would adapt to most make trikes that use the OEM saddle bag latches for the trunk.
Click the link below then click on the picture to open the movie clip.
http://picasaweb.google.com/dickgamage/HanniganAutoOpenTrunk?authkey=Gv1sRgCMmOremmheTyNQ&feat=directlink

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Yea!!! When you get it written up post it here.....:thumbup: Or some place!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've got a lady standing behind me that rides behind me, and she's wanting to know why her trunk door doesn't open like yours. :popcorn: Hope your going to share some insight. :bow:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hannigan auto-open trunk details.

Here goes:
1.Order this solenoid from Summit racing.com
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HFM%2DSL35&N=700+115&autoview=sku
The solenoid I'm suggesting is a heavy duty solenoid. A lighter one would work, but I can't find one with mounting brack that will work as good as this one.
Also get a 12 volt 30/40 amp 4 or 5 terminal relay, a 30 amp fuse connector and a supplyof 12 guage wire. I used black and white for the ground and power wires. A good solder gun and shrink tubbing.

With some very good glue, fasten the the bracket to the roof of the trunk so the rear of the solenoid will be about even with the right hand side of the trunk opening and just in front of the lip of the trunk where the rubber seal is. See more pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/dickgamage/HanniganAutoOpenTrunk?authkey=Gv1sRgCMmOremmheTyNQ&feat=directlink I used the commercial JB weld that comes in two large squeeze tubes. I also drilled sever holes in the bracket so the JB weld would come through the holes to hold better. I've done 3 of these and they seem to hold very well. Be sure to sand and clean the roof so the bracket sets level to the roof. I used a small bottle jack to hold the bracket in place while it dried over night. Be sure the it's lined up so the puller on the solenoid will point toward the right side of the latch.

1A. The latch in the lower trunk has an extra eyelet that allows another cable pull to be attached and be pulled from the right side to open it. The Solenoid kit comes with cable, but if you happen to have saved the cable that was used to open your original saddleback latch, cut one end off and pull the cable out of the sheath and use it. If the latch was left in tack you can just place the good cable end right into place with the clip that is in the eyelet in the latch.

2. Remove the pan that is under the upper trunk.

3. That will reveal a wiring harness connector at the rear center of the trunk that is fastened to the trunk. You'll find a red wire in the group. Splice into that wire and run it into your lower trunk. leave plenty of wire to work with. Run a ground wire from the frame into the lower trunk also.

4. Before actually mounting the solenoid into the bracket test your wiring. Wire the the relay with the red wire from the upper trunk as your trigger wire. Assuming you have some knowledge about relays go on from there. If you need more help from there with relay wiring let me know.

5. The OEM Honda remote will work like this:
Lock button will lock everything as usual.
The popup button will release and popup the upper trunk lid.
The unlock button will now release the lower trunk.
If you in the habit of using the the unlock button to open your upper trunk instead of the popup button you'll have to change your habit on that.

6. Now for the auto opening part. On the lower two hinges you see three small bolts coming through the trunk lid and hinges as you're looking at it open. You may have to experiment a little but find a small light spring coil that you can force over the nut on the top. When compressed, it should not be much higher that the nut, or it will bind the the door. You'll probably have to cut the spring. Those springs will cause the door to open.

7. When you actually connect the cable from the latch to the solenoid be sure the the last 1/4 inch or so of the solenoid pull is actually pulling on the cable. Other wise it will put too much binding on the latch. Put you finger on the cable when you trip it and you will be able to tell if it's too tight. I didn't use one, but a spring might be a good idea to lessen the jerk on the latch.

This is my first write up and it probably hard to follow. Ask any questions you might have and I'll try to improve these instruction. Somes times it's hard to get the stuff in my head out throught my finger tips on to the keyboard.

Feel free to email.

If you think more picture would be helpfull, tell what you want pictures of.

The picture with both flashing saddle bags is another feature so you can tell if the lower trunk is open. I’m assuming most of you have that already, but if not I can send the directions for that too. That’s an easy project.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
:thumbup:

Dick I will copy this out to note pad or quote it over to the Trike guys, good mod

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts