GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you Hannigan Owners adjusted your own shocks and if so where do you place the spanner wrench to adjust the pre-load? At a glance I did not see if the wrench is to be at the top or bottom of the shock. Looking for advice from someone who has adjusted theirs before I crawl under to try. :shrug:

Good Advice gets :popcorn: and for cold weather guys :coffee1:

Best answer gets :bow: and :1st:

·
Registered
822 Posts
call Texastrikewerx in Belton TX bet they will help you out.

Thanks

Thunder

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have adjusted ours. You need to jack up the rear end to take the pressure off. Then at the top of the shock under the spring, you will see the notches where the wrench goes. It is still not real easy to turn if you are increasing the preload.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Doc look for the marks/indents around the base normally at the bottom, there should be at least 4, possibly 8 indents to place the spanner notch into. It takes a little effort to move it up a notch or two.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I don't know about the Hannigan, but on the MT it is much easer with the wheel off.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hannigan shock

OFF, but I've been trying to figure out a way to adjust it without removing the wheels. Any ideas?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Shock controller

I've put a remote opener on my Bushtec trailer and the lower trike trunk. I've put and electronic timer on my auxillary fuel tank. I've installed a warning dash light to know if my lower trike trunk is open like the OEM tour pack warning. There has to be a way to adjust those shocks with a push button. Come on guys, let's get our heads together. It's too cold to ride anyway.
Dick

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's too cold to ride anyway.
Dick
It may be too cold where you are...but the rest of us Texicans are out putting miles on our bikes. But I do wish we had an easier way to adjust the shocks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dick,
Really long and skinny/strong arms, or an Orangutan :shock:

:agree: :agree: Yes notches were at the top and I did remove the wheel

and after buying another jack I got-er-done! :thumbup: I think I could do it from underneath but it was safer to remove wheel as I didn't have the tools here in Fl to properly support trike with differential being offset. I just did one side to correct for slight right pull.

I also removed the seat and the trunk and did some minor adjustments. Since that wasn't enough I adjusted the body side to side since it was 1/4 inch off.

What a day! Now for a trial run tomorrow to see if I do good work. :shrug:

Now it's AWARD TIME!!!

To all who responded -- :bow::bow::bow:

To George P and Indymule -- :bow::bow: and :1st::1st:

To cold weather guys -- :coffee1:

to warm weather guys -- :biker:

I forgot dgamage gets Honorable Mention

Thanks all Doc

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Doc1, from day 1, we've had our right rear shock set-up one notch tighter due to the off-set diff and the crowning of most roadways. It seems to have worked for us. Good luck on your new setup. Hope to see you in March.

Wayne

·
Registered
373 Posts
When we got our
Hannigan
the installer knew us personally. he said he set the trike up for us and we would never have to change it . and we haven't.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Shock adjustment

The only time I change mine is when I pull a trailer on a trip. Mine is set on the lowest setting for normal riding and two notches up when traveling with a trailer. I've got several Hannigan friends that all use different settings. :shrug:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts