Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 GL1800, 2011 Hannigan trike w/
2.73 differential
195-60R15 Kumho tires
70 mph (speedometer)
65 mph (GPS)

That's a significant error, worse than the bike. Hannigan had told me that combination eliminated the inherent speedometer error. I guess not! Do all Hannigans have that error? I noticed that the tire size is different from what the website states, not to mention that they now supply Kumho tires rather than the Michelins as before, but that's another complaint.
What about other trikes? Do they also have significant speedometer errors?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Badger,

Mine is about four mph off at those speeds. Not a problem for me .... I can run showing 70 and feel like I'm flyin' but only be runnin' about 66 or so. Helps with mpg and I still get where I want to go as fast as I need to!! Gives me a bit of cushion when I pass the radar guns as well!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Speed

I run the 4 mph difference that I did when it was 2 wheels. At 60 it will show 56 mph on the GPS. I also have the 273 gears and it is in a 2010 Hannigan with an 06 bike.

Sonney

·
Registered
61 Posts
2008 GL1800, 2011 Hannigan trike w/
2.73 differential
195-60R15 Kumho tires
70 mph (speedometer)
65 mph (GPS)

What about other trikes? Do they also have significant speedometer errors?
I have a new CSC that is 2 mph off at those speeds = 68 instead of 70.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Speedo

I've had one CSC and two Hannigans and they have all followed the Goldwing speedo. The trike kits did not make any difference. The 2010 is dead on with a GPS. The 2005 and 2007 were off 5 mph.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Did Hannigan or your installer tell you that the kit would "correct" the speedometer error. Hannigan gears the kit to match the stock units final ratio.

If your kit came equipped with 195-60R15 rear tires (The Hannigan site no longer lists a specific brand) rather than the specified 185-65R15 that would account for a 1% difference (lower than actual) speedometer reading.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

My '09 kit on an '08 GL shows a total 5% speedometer error, same as when it was a two wheeler.

A Speedohealer is a quick and relatively inexpensive fix if it is a concern.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=7156&str=4

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
My trike's speedo reads 5 miles higher than the GPS. I just follow the speed on the GPS and rarely look at the speedometer. The trike and my last three bikes all had speedo errors to the plus side.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a Hannigan installed on a '07. I had a 4% error before it was installed....and it still has a 4% error. To me, no biggie.
When it was triked in '08 Hannigan used Michelin tires, then some time after switched to Kumhos. I visited with Dave Hannigan Tuesday (26 July)at the Murray, KY factory....nice tour by the way...and asked him why the switch in tire brands. His reply was that he was having trouble getting the Michelins, and did want to advertise having Michelins if he couldn't get them....he thought the Kumho was just as good a tire and easier to get.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Speedo error

I have a 2009 Goldwing. In 2009 Honda corrected the speedo error and as a 2-wheel my Speedo showed 1/2 to 1 mph faster than than GPS. After Hanniganizing I had a 1- 1 1/2 mph error. Another thing they corrected with the 2009 Goldwing is the Cruise Control delay so it engages immediately with no 3-4 mph slowdown after Engaging or Resuming like my 2006 had.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The fender clearances on a Hannigan are tight (see Falcons photo above) and the suspension travel relatively long. Unless you change wheels more than a 195 would most likely contact the fender lip and much taller would hit the inside of the fender well unless you crank up the suspension and install a longer bump stop for the trailing arm.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Then if he could find a 195/70R15, that would get him just under 70 mph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts