GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about changing my 07 Wing into a Hannigan Trike and they want $12000.00 without whale wing am I going in the right direction. Also does anyone know if there is a service manual online? I've been looking and haven't found one yet:shrug:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
1. Who's they?
2. There is no manual for a Hannigan!
3. If that 12K doesn't include the foot fairings or the rake kit, that's to high!

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Roky, Hannigan offers more than the lighted whale tail ($995) as an accessories: i.e. running boards ($995 + $195 installation), rear wheel upgrade ($300), matching front wheel ($1095), upgraded fork springs ($125), modified triple tree ($995 + $275 installation)), auxillary fuel tank ($695), trailer hitch ($225), fender stone guards ($195).

The absolute minimum that most trikers would order would be the unpainted base kit ($7995 + $1495 installation), one color paint is an additional $995. Your at $10,485 without any accessories. Add an "Easy Steer" ($995 + $275 installation). You're now at $11,755 Add some for the tax and you'd be somewhere close to your $12,000.

Give us an idea what you asked for and let's see how close your installer is to the factory costs.

Ride safe,

Wayne
Wayne,
You're quoting MSRP prices!
You know who doesn't sell at MSRP:shock:
Dawg

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Roky, Hannigan offers more than the lighted whale tail ($995) as an accessories: i.e. running boards ($1295 + $195 installation), rear wheel upgrade ($300), matching front wheel ($1095), upgraded fork springs ($125), modified triple tree ($995 + $275 installation)), auxillary fuel tank ($695), trailer hitch ($225), fender stone guards ($195).

The following are the manufacturers advertised prices. The absolute minimum that most trikers would order would be the unpainted base kit ($7995 + $1495 installation), one color paint is an additional $995. You're at $10,485 without any accessories. Add an "Easy Steer" ($995 + $275 installation). You're now at $11,755 Add some for the tax and you'd be somewhere close to your $12,000.

Give us an idea what you asked for and let's see how close your installer is to the factory costs.

1. Who's they?
3. If that 12K doesn't include the foot fairings and rake kit, that's to high!
Tom, the factory price show the running boards at $1295 + $195 installation. Is the installers wholesale price as such that they can undercut the manufacturer that much, and eat the $1500 ?

Ride safe,

Wayne

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Tom, the factory price show the running boards at $1295 + $195 installation. Is the installers wholesale price as such that they can undercut the manufacturer that much, and eat the $1500 ?

Ride safe,

Wayne
Not at liberty to say.
I will tell you, I got the upgrade wheels, foot fairings, whale tail spoiler and the rake kit along w/ all foreward facing surfaces covered w/ stone gard for not to much more than the price the OP posted!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Not at liberty to say.
I will tell you, I got the upgrade wheels, foot fairings, whale tail spoiler and the rake kit along w/ all foreward facing surfaces covered w/ stone gard for not to much more than the price the OP posted!
But Tom, aren't you a saleman for Lonestar Trikes? Gary certainly sold to you at wholesale, didn't he? Would Gary make Roky the same quote that he gave you? Probably not; and why should he?

Roky, I just noticed that you list your home as Lynchburg, TN. If Tom won't match the price he got, get in touch with Tony's Trikes, 12175 Hwy. 231 North, Meridianville, AL 35759 (256) 828-6565, in northern Alabama. Tony is a board sponsor and will treat you right. He has made many happy riders into HAPPY TRIKE OWNERS. Tony sells Hannigans, CSC's, Motortrikes, and Roadsmiths.
http://harrisautosales.com/home.html

Ride safe,

Wayne

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
NO I DID NOT GET MINE AT WHOLESALE
I DID NOT BECOME A REP UNTIL SOMETIME AFTER MINE WAS DONE.
I was so impressed w/the way I treated, the job done and the price quoted, I decided I wanted to help in some way.
I WAS NOT GOING TO MENTION THE NAME ON THE OPEN FORUM BUT, THANK YOU FOR DOING SO!
ALSO, went back and read, then changed my post on the price the op posted. Thanks for questioning me. It has been corrected to read "rake kit OR the foot fairings for the 12K

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1. Who's they?
3. If that 12K doesn't include the foot fairings or the rake kit, that's to high!
It does include the foot fairings and rake kit and whale wing

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Roky,

Do your self a favor and get EVERYTHING you think you might want (like the aux fuel tank) up front and all at once. It is especially important with painted parts but much less costly to add your accessories at the time of the initial build.

Your installer is just as important and you have a great one (Tony) fairly local. A bad installation can ruin a great kit and your whole experience. Run, run away from the gypsy builders. You want someone with a bunch of experience with the kit you choose and who will personally stand behind their work.

Your already off to a great start with your choice, the rest is just money, and the highest quality is rarely found with the lowest bidder :congrats:

(Edit) regarding a service manual, you do get a manual with the kit but the service requirements for the trike portion take up all of about two sentences. Unlike some other desigs a Hannigan takes no more care than a rear wheel drive car. Check your tires, check your brakes, seasonally take a look around, and change the rear oil every few years. Not a quote but that's a 'bout it.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
It does include the foot fairings and rake kit but no whale wing
Then that is a very good price. Are you satisfied the installer can do a good job. That person is as important as picking the kit you like best!
I researched kits and installers for 4years before making my final choice!

I know that Whale Tail is expensive. I was trying to keep my price down but, just liked the look of that "tail". Boss ended up telling me to get it! Bless her heart:thumbup:
Keep us posted on the progress.
Also, I've been marketing an invention, since the Hannigan does not have a parking brake. It's patented, so you can't make your own:roll::

·
Registered
482 Posts
Roky
Man did you hit the nail on the head with that flow chart....:agree:
If only we could get the citizens to realize what's going on and get out there and VOTE!!

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Roky,

Your installer is just as important and you have a great one (Tony) fairly local.
How do we know it's Tony?

(Edit) regarding a service manual, you do get a manual with the kit but the service requirements for the trike portion take up all of about two sentences.
Not much of a manual! More like a pamplet w/very little info in it.
Hannigan must want one to return to the installer for whatever is needed! It seems there are a couple grease fittings one can not get on w/a conventional grease gun! These must be changed to 90Deg fittings, go figure!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Roky, Hannigan offers more than the lighted whale tail ($995) as an accessories: i.e. running boards ($1295 + $195 installation), rear wheel upgrade ($300), matching front wheel ($1095), upgraded fork springs ($125), modified triple tree ($995 + $275 installation)), auxillary fuel tank ($695), trailer hitch ($225), fender stone guards ($195).

The following are the manufacturers advertised prices. The absolute minimum that most trikers would order would be the unpainted base kit ($7995 + $1495 installation), one color paint is an additional $995. Your at $10,485 without any accessories. Add an "Easy Steer" ($995 + $275 installation). You're now at $11,755 Add some for the tax and you'd be somewhere close to your $12,000.

Give us an idea what you asked for and let's see how close your installer
Roky,

Among the items listed beyond the minimum items Wasaw mentions in red, I would consider the trailer hitch and the upgraded fork springs to be very likely necessary items to be included. The rest are eye candy and/or nice accessories ... if you want them, go for it.

I would also mention, while you are shopping and considering, please take a very close look at the RoadSmith kit. If you deal with someone like Tony's trikes, he can give you a very good comparison of the cost between the two. I'm not able to do that. I will say that the trailer hitch comes in the package with the RoadSmith. The RoadSmith requires about the same amount of routine maintenance as is mentioned with the Hannigan above. My RS came with a very nice owner's manual with very good information as well as a very complete parts listing for items used in the suspension and drive train. These are off the shelf items in most well appointed parts houses. I am very pleased with the way the RS suspension design works. I don't have a ton of miles on our kit ... probably around 6000 miles at this point since about the first of March, but I have found nothing to this point to raise any points of concern for me and have had no issues whatsoever. I bought the 5.5 degree rake kit and had the Progressive Spring upgrade for the front forks. So far, I am very pleased with them. About the only other accessories I added were the additional lights mounted on top of the rear fenders, the unlighted mudflaps, and the rear bumper, along with the additional storage space above the differential in the area where the accessory fuel tank would go if you add it.

Based on what I read here from other owners, even though most are pleased with their machines as I am, I am very glad to have the RS in my yard. I think the Hannigan is definitely a top choice, but at this point, I sure wouldn't trade my RS for any of them! I also recognize that money is nearly always an issue, but the advice given to get what you want up front is good advice. It costs even more to add things later. A trike is a major investment, and if you can get it like you want it the first time, you'll be enjoying it for a very long time!!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Roky, Tom has now changed his response, so he now agrees with me, and that's at MSRP. I haven't shopped a Hannigan in four years. Things have changed. With the economy as it is, I would guess that the factory and installers aren't as busy as they once were. When we purchased at the factory (fall of '07), there was an eight week backlog. Hannigan didn't have to negoiate. Now, things are probably different.

The $12K quote you've been given is a VERY good and fair quote, if it's an out-the-door quote. It's close to a 10% discount. I don't know what state your installer is in but I know someone's got to pay the sales tax; either you directly, or the installer has got to eat them.

About the "lighted whale tail": you either love it or you hate it. It is the most distinctive detail on the Hannigan. But at a $1K cost, you must really love/like, as most do.

Have you given a lot of thought as to why you want a Hannigan? Most all of us by now have learned the lesson "you get what you pay for" and in the trike world, it still holds true. If having the smoothest riding trike, or having a trike that requires little maintainence is of no big concern, why buy a Hannigan? Why not step down to a MotorTrike, DFT, a California Side Car, a Lemon, or a Roadsmith and save a few thousand dollars? Hannigans aren't for everyone, and the Hannigan folks are OK with that.

Everyone has their own reason why they purchased what they purchased. For most, it's strictly the money. Oh they may say it's not, but everyone has a cash threshold. Trikes are toys; entertainment. We all have to justify to someone, either our best halves, or to ourselves how we spend the family income. EX: The wife wants us to buy an Escalade, but I'm refusing. To me, they're just an over priced Tahoe. It's got stuff that we'll never use or want. But Cadillac still won't give them away. But I'm still not going to buy one. I might buy her a Tahoe, instead. The Champions, DFTs, MotorTrikes and Lemons will cost you less than a Hannigan. Are you SO set on a Hannigan that you're willing to pay more?

Give some thought about downgrading and hopefully get more stuff for the same amount of money. Tony's Trikes doesn't build or market the Champions, DFTs, or the Lemons, but you can get a CSC, MotorTrike or Roadsmith from him. He also builds the Hannigan but if money is a pressing issue, you ultimately will not be satisfied. Like Spencer and Pudge stated above, if you don't get everything that you want or need initially, it cost more to come back later.

Everyone reading this post understands that these comments are strictly my own. I'm not being paid by Tony's Trikes to steer customers to him nor am I receiving income from the Hannigan operation to run business away from them.

Roky, please stay in touch with us all and let us know what you decide. BTW, what is the above post #12 all about?

Ride safe,

Wayne

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Wasaw,
The demand for trikes is increasing. There is still a wait for some brands. A lot of installers are still stuck on MSRP just like a lot of HD dealers.
One of my local installers was telling how his business was off by 60% back when I was in the final stages of "shopping" my Hannigan.
Yet when I said sit down with me, I'm ready for a serious talk, he quoted MSRP + more for the install than another.
When I asked about his comment on the downturn and asking why no discount, he tried to tell me he wasn't allowed to discount MSRP.
That was about the 3rd lie he had told me in the time I had known him so my last words were, "Thanks for your time" as I got up to leave.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
When pricing trikes, Hannigan installer would not budge from MSRP. But I think things have changed. Roky, I think u have read a lot of posts on this site about trikes but JIC. Most of us are satisfied with our brand choice as am I. The Installer a big factor. Try to ride them all and what fits u may or may not fit every one.

Good Luck

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hannigan

There are several reason why I bought a Hannigan. (1) When you look at trike sites you don't see a lot about Hannigan. I know here recently you seen a couple with problems. (2) I talked to the people at Colo. when they were at Wing Ding and they told me let the passenger tell you which was the smoothest. (3) I can buy my parts at the auto zone for the rear end. (4) Customer service if you notice when there was a problem that Murry Ky took care of it. (5) Size it is longer and wider which equal a better ride. The only thing that I don't have on mine is the extra gas tank and the chrome frt wheel. I didn't see the need for those after a 190 miles I am ready to get off of it. I have rode most of the trikes that I thought that I would have wanted and chose the Hannigan.

It is the installer that will make or brake your trike example the way it lines up. The amount of clearance that you have from left to right. The way they take care of you take-off parts you can resell them ask some of the people in the area that has done business with the installers and how well they like their trikes. These are just my opions talk to different people you know. Also if you get the whale tail and the light barr have it a break light also.

Sonney

·
Registered
927 Posts
Have you given a lot of thought as to why you want a Hannigan? Most all of us by now have learned the lesson "you get what you pay for" and in the trike world, it still holds true. If having the smoothest riding trike, or having a trike that requires little maintainence is of no big concern, why buy a Hannigan? Why not step down to a MotorTrike, DFT, a California Side Car, a Lemon, or a Roadsmith and save a few thousand dollars? Hannigans aren't for everyone, and the Hannigan folks are OK with that.

Everyone has their own reason why they purchased what they purchased. For most, it's strictly the money. Oh they may say it's not, but everyone has a cash threshold. Trikes are toys; entertainment. We all have to justify to someone, either our best halves, or to ourselves how we spend the family income.

Give some thought about downgrading and hopefully get more stuff for the same amount of money. Tony's Trikes doesn't build or market the Champions, DFTs, or the Lemons, but you can get a CSC, MotorTrike or Roadsmith from him. He also builds the Hannigan but if money is a pressing issue, you ultimately will not be satisfied. Like Spencer and Pudge stated above, if you don't get everything that you want or need initially, it cost more to come back later.
I respectfully suggest that all of the above is one person's personal opinion and, as they say, your mileage may vary. For me the trike is not a toy, medical reasons make it the only way I can ride long distance.

For most people the ride and reliability of their trike is a big deal. Either they don't like getting bounced around much or their riding partner doesn't. Breaking down far away from home is something most would pay a lot of money to avoid.

So what did I buy? A DFT. Contrary to what's implied above, it's not cheaper than a Hannigan. Base price is $2000 more, and you have to provide your own wheels/tires. Unless there's a lot of fluff on the Hannigan, it's more expensive.

I have relatively little money compared to most here, but I was not about to scrimp on the trike, at least as far as function (as opposed to style) goes. I don't have to answer to anyone else, and scrimping would have been the decision I'd regret most. I won't bore everybody with why I think a DFT is worth more money than a Hannigan, we all know that too is a very personal decision.

So my advice is the exact opposite of the above. Buy the trike you like best and forget relatively small differences in price. In a few years, a 10-20% money difference on this purchase won't be affecting your life much, the trike you're riding will.

The above applies to your choice of installer, too. It's like getting a roof put on your house, low bid is not always the best deal.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Roky, Tom has now changed his response, so he now agrees with me, and that's at MSRP. I haven't shopped a Hannigan in four years. Things have changed. With the economy as it is, I would guess that the factory and installers aren't as busy as they once were. When we purchased at the factory (fall of '07), there was an eight week backlog. Hannigan didn't have to negoiate. Now, things are probably different.

The $12K quote you've been given is a VERY good and fair quote, if it's an out-the-door quote. It's close to a 10% discount. I don't know what state your installer is in but I know someone's got to pay the sales tax; either you directly, or the installer has got to eat them.

About the "lighted whale tail": you either love it or you hate it. It is the most distinctive detail on the Hannigan. But at a $1K cost, you must really love/like, as most do.

Have you given a lot of thought as to why you want a Hannigan? Most all of us by now have learned the lesson "you get what you pay for" and in the trike world, it still holds true. If having the smoothest riding trike, or having a trike that requires little maintenance is of no big concern, why buy a Hannigan? Why not step down to a MotorTrike, DFT, a California Side Car, a Lemon, or a Roadsmith and save a few thousand dollars? Hannigans aren't for everyone, and the Hannigan folks are OK with that.

Everyone has their own reason why they purchased what they purchased. For most, it's strictly the money. Oh they may say it's not, but everyone has a cash threshold. Trikes are toys; entertainment. We all have to justify to someone, either our best halves, or to ourselves how we spend the family income. EX: The wife wants us to buy an Escalade, but I'm refusing. To me, they're just an over priced Tahoe. It's got stuff that we'll never use or want. But Cadillac still won't give them away. But I'm still not going to buy one. I might buy her a Tahoe, instead. The Champions, DFTs, MotorTrikes and Lemons will cost you less than a Hannigan. Are you SO set on a Hannigan that you're willing to pay more?

Everyone reading this post understands that these comments are strictly my own. I'm not being paid by Tony's Trikes to steer customers to him nor am I receiving income from the Hannigan operation to run business away from them.

Roky, please stay in touch with us all and let us know what you decide. BTW, what is the above post #12 all about?

Ride safe,

Wayne
It's The political flow chart that I have on my sign.

The reason that I decided to go with the Hannigan instead of the CSC is I don't like the loud pipes on it and there is not a thing that you can do about them. The RS is a good riding machine but I don't like the way the rear end looks. It's not sporty enough looking for me like the CSC and the Hannigan and I can use my muffler that come off my bike. Don't get me wrong I'm not running anyones mech. down but if I'm going to put that much money into a mech I wouldn't be happy with the sound of the CSC I would love to have the CSC. I've just got older and don't like the loud sound anymore. I will problem bite the bullet and get the whale tail before it is all said and done because I do like the looks of it. Makes the rear really stand out.

Thanks for telling me what you thank about Tony because he's the one that will be building my trike for me. I now fell 210% better than I did yesterday at a 110%. I have been down to his place two time this week and I would just say he's a supper nice guy. I really like talking to him and someone like him you just don't mind doing business with.

I would like to thank everyone for all the input that has been put on here today to steer me in the right direction you'll have been a big help. Thanks again.

Roky:excited::flg:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts