GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the calendar shows today as Earth Day. So, Happy Earth Day to ya!

To celebrate, I think it will be as good as any reason for some wind therapy, but not today. Tomorrow will suffice quite well for some much needed wind therapy in the Central AZ Mountains. Think...Salt River Canyon... Just how many laps can one person do? Or a small group of 3???

Today, I will be chasing some Gila Trout with a new pattern I tied up last week. Excited to get the fly rod out and see just how well these holographic bugs do in convincing the Gila's to come out and play...

Regardless, get your wind therapy in today!

- David

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
To celebrate, I think it will be as good as any reason for some wind therapy, but not today. Tomorrow will suffice quite well for some much needed wind therapy in the Central AZ Mountains. Think...Salt River Canyon... Just how many laps can one person do? Or a small group of 3???
Hmmm...

Last week, I did the loop up to Winkleman, then over toward Superior - with the intent of looping back around via Miami/Globe back home.

Exploring the paved sections - both ends - of the Florence-Kelvin Highway - made me forego that ride to Globe. That was the first time I saw the new bridge over both the Gila River and the railroad:

Sadly, there's still a dozen miles of dirt road between Florence & Kelvin. Too bad, that's gonna be a fun road - if it's fully paved in my lifetime. :ROFLMAO:

How many laps, David? Two? Three? With a full tank in Globe, I'm betting three before needing to head back south - for me.

You have that fuel stop @ US-60 & AZ-73 on the way home...much closer.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How was the ride, @david vaughn ??

I got tied up with things over here...
It was a good day to be in the wind!

Left Payson around 8:30 heading south towards Roosevelt Lake. The air was soft and inviting, de-stressing the mind and body with each foot ridden. Very little traffic as well.

LOTS of water in that desert oasis. Saw some wild ponies near Bachelor Cove as well. Just before the dam, we pulled off and took our jackets off, electing to put some color on our arms before summer hits.

Got to Globe around 10:30, still very little traffic to speak of except for a column of bikes we met by Judy's Cookhouse. They were in front of us also rolling north towards Salt River Canyon.

We had a leisurely road side lunch at the Salt River Canyon Rest Area, sitting on the low rock wall thinking about tossing some flies into the river next to us. But our fly fishing gear was left at home...bummer.

Never had a chance to drag metal, as a semi was passing another semi for a good section of the passing lane. Bummer #2.

Once again, the roads were nearly vacant as we continued to roll towards Show Low, then west along the Rim.

Some bad road pitting beginning to emerge from last winter's storms, be mindful when on Hwy 260 between Heber and Forest Lakes.

Overall it was a grand experience, with the high light having some mind blowing chicken, while eating in the open air diner!

- David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts