GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a little rip to Flag yesterday running errands.

Left Payson around 7:30am, temps in the low 70's with clouds just starting to firm up over the Rim.

Lots of standing groundwater from summer monsoons along Hwy 87 north of Strawberry and all that fresh and intoxicating forest odor permeating the nasal cavity causing me to swoon with sensory overload!

Turned the corner at Clint's Well with temps in the mid 60's (sorry to all you who live in the desert as it only gets worse from here...) and by the time I hit the Happy Jack Ranger Station, the temps were in the basement 60's, teasing an upper 50 degree temp. Lots of blue sky overhead but the San Francisco Peaks had some good cloud cover.

Nearly no wind nor traffic to speak of, just me and Santana rolling through the cool, clear mountain air.

On the way home around 10:30, the clouds had definitely increased and thickened during my rip along Lake Mary Road to Clint's Well. Several miles south of Mormon Lake I saw what was happening near Happy Jack, so I put on my rain gear...

I ran into some refreshing rain drops ( you know the kind, 50 cal at least) which lasted for several miles with intermittent drops all the way to Strawberry.

Took the jacket off in Pine ending the morning in bright sunshine and temps in the low 80's.

But the Payson skies quickly darkened and threated rain later in the day, with measurable amounts of moisture falling overnight. Not sure how much, but the driveway and block walls are stained with rain.

At present, looks like Phoenix is under a lot of raindrops themselves this morning...

Steve F, Scott L, how's it looking down there?

Think it's time to leave the Valley and head up to Overgaard's Wild Women Saloon? You KNOW what's there...

- David

·
Registered
126 Posts
Absolutely wonderful! I could almost feel the cool air.... (oh..wait the ac kicked on) and smell the forest! Sounds like a perfect day to me.

·
Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,609 Posts
Put a F4 windshield and Helibar risers on the Wing this morning and took it around the block trying to dodge all the sand from the washes. Then I moved a few things around the garage and got the Harley out since I hadn't ridden in in a while, dodged the same sandy areas. Gonna have to get out of town for some cool northern air. Colorado failed me 2 weeks ago with 101F......

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott L likes to get out of the Valley long before the morning traffic buildup begins, so perhaps he could lead a group to Heber during the week.

Three Bears has some of the best pancakes/french toast I've ever had. Each month they have a theme for their pancakes which makes for some REALLY GOOD breakfast lip smacking!

If you like fried bologna sandwiches, then Three Bears is the place to be. The Mama's Special sandwich is a toasted treat with cheddar baked bread!

- David

ps...let me know when you're headed that way so I can try to join the group as it sprints through Payson...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely wonderful! I could almost feel the cool air.... (oh..wait the ac kicked on) and smell the forest! Sounds like a perfect day to me.
If you'd like, I can send you some of the green pine tree paper fragrance hangers if you'd like when the a/c comes on...
:) :ROFLMAO:
- David

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Hey David! Sure is waaaarm down this a way. Haven't taken the bike out in a month now. Like I said, I ride for the enjoyment, and when I'm not enjoying it.... well what's the point? I'll be unavailable a while longer with certain things getting in the way, I'll be having another surgery on the 11th and some down time, hopefully not too long.
We'd love to get up that way for the Three Bears soon.
Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts