GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Harber Freight 40 x 48 trailer frame, and have used it to mount the cyclemate cm2000 box. ( The old OEM frame cracked, fell apart, and was not worth trying to fix.) The kit comes with 2 tires, the size of 8" wheels x 4.80 tires. While these tires do work just fine, they appear to be awfully small, and the booket says never move faster than 55 miles per hour. ( Yea, like that is going to happen) Now I have already traveled a few miles, at 65-70 mph, with no problems, I still think that bearing are moving way faster than maybe they should be. For your information, I did use the red, high temp axle grease.

My question is, has any one with this trailer frame tried to install a larger tire, like the 8" x 5.80, which looks like it might be about 3" higher totally. To me, it looks like there should be enough room for them, without hitting anything, but sure would hate to buy them, and then find out that they will not fit. Has anyone done, or something like this with the Harber Freight small trailer body. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Never tried to change out the tires. Built 3 of these trailers and each handled just fine, sometimes in triple digit speeds and many times in very twisty roads.

The tires and wheels supplied with this trailer will work just fine. I did change out the wheel bearings, but the Chinese ones are ok if you use good grease, which you did.

Click on the link on my sig line for the trailer towing forum on Delphi and you will access lots of info regarding this setup.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the larger tires on mine, (came with it). It makes it easy to move around the yard when not on the bike...
They do cause the trailer to "point down" toward the hitch. Not really sure if that is a problem or not, most folks aim for "level". It does pull nicely at a steady 80 - 85 mph.

I did find out that the bit of improved ground clearance is good on roads that are...shall we say... not too improved or deteriorating... kept the axle from hitting some rocks and other debris that I was able to manuever the bike around.

Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
goldwing2000 said:
I recently purchased a Harber Freight 40 x 48 trailer frame, and have used it to mount the cyclemate cm2000 box. ( The old OEM frame cracked, fell apart, and was not worth trying to fix.) The kit comes with 2 tires, the size of 8" wheels x 4.80 tires. While these tires do work just fine, they appear to be awfully small, and the booket says never move faster than 55 miles per hour. ( Yea, like that is going to happen) Now I have already traveled a few miles, at 65-70 mph, with no problems, I still think that bearing are moving way faster than maybe they should be. For your information, I did use the red, high temp axle grease.

My question is, has any one with this trailer frame tried to install a larger tire, like the 8" x 5.80, which looks like it might be about 3" higher totally. To me, it looks like there should be enough room for them, without hitting anything, but sure would hate to buy them, and then find out that they will not fit. Has anyone done, or something like this with the Harber Freight small trailer body. Thank you for any help.
I built a HF trailer with the Sears box for Sparks 480, it has the 8" tires and I know for a fact that it has seen speeds of over 100MPH numerous times with the factory tire which states 55MPH. We traveled to Daytona in 2005 and cruised the interstate at 80-90 with the trailer fully loaded.
The trailer I'm pulling (Not HF) has the 5.80x8 on it and I have not had any problem with them in the last 25,000+ miles I've pulled it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I also have a Harbor Freight trailer but mine came with 12 inch wheels. It pulls great and at 70 mph all day long.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts