GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Have any of you mounted a CT on a GL1800 real wheel using the cheapy motorcycle mounting tool that HF sells? I have someone that will try to mount my new Sunny on my TPMS equipped wheel but neither of us is sure that it will work. Will it?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hey Guys

Have any of you mounted a CT on a GL1800 real wheel using the cheapy motorcycle mounting tool that HF sells? I have someone that will try to mount my new Sunny on my TPMS equipped wheel but neither of us is sure that it will work. Will it?
Yes I have mounted a bunch of run flat CT's on a Harbor Fright changer. I now use a No Mar but the HF will work, it will have to be welded in a few places. Get some cinch straps to strap down wheel to keep it from turning and you are good to go. There are a lot of threads on this if the search will work for you. If you use the older TPMS that is strapped to the inside of the rim you will need to be careful when inserting the spoon or mounting bar to keep from damaging it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't think the sunny's are run flat, but I may be wrong. Non run flat (you know, regular car tires) go on real easy. Easier than the MC tire.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think the sunny's are run flat, but I may be wrong. Non run flat (you know, regular car tires) go on real easy. Easier than the MC tire.[/QUOTE

The Sunny is a NRF. I was a bit afraid to try a RF because of the lower pressures that they normally run at I did not want my TPMS light on all the time. If the Sunny works good, and I think that it will, my next CT may very well be a RF as well.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I have a Harbor Freight changer, and a Sunny tire! There is no problem mounting them. Lube them up and pull on the mounting bar, your good to go!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I don't think the sunny's are run flat, but I may be wrong. Non run flat (you know, regular car tires) go on real easy. Easier than the MC tire.
That is correct! Non run flat with rim protection!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Fixing to mount my 4th Kumho RF in a few weeks on the HF changer. Trick is to use good lube such as NoMar tire lube and use a MoJo lever to get it off and on. Cinch straps are a must. Never had to weld mine (yet). 1 x 1 blocks of wood keep the bead down in the rim valley. First one was a bear. The rest were far easier once I got the right lube and used the right technique for the Mojo lever.

·
Read Only
851 Posts
Mounting CT and wheel to bike problem

I can not get the tire to go past inner fender near the regulator. I have a 195/55-16 Hankook that Rocketman911 gave me to try. Is there something else other than tilting and shoving the tire up that I need to do? I have tried every angle that I can think of, but it will not go past that portion of the inner fender. From the bottom and looking up, there s a large yellow connector behind the IF. That's where it binds.

Stan

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I can not get the tire to go past inner fender near the regulator. I have a 195/55-16 Hankook that Rocketman911 gave me to try. Is there something else other than tilting and shoving the tire up that I need to do? I have tried every angle that I can think of, but it will not go past that portion of the inner fender. From the bottom and looking up, there s a large yellow connector behind the IF. That's where it binds.

Stan
Stan, try putting a piece of wax paper or a walmart bag between where the IF and the tire hit. Also try putting the bike in neutral. Are you doing this by laying the bike on its side?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Stan
Stan I don't know if you are trying to install the CT with the bike on a lift or the layover method. I only use the layover methos because its so much easier and faster. Couple of hints might help you even though I don't know which way you are installing the tire. Try letting the air out of the tire and coat the the sides of the tire with Dawn dish wash liquid leave the tranny in neutral and suspension set at 25. These are a couple of hints but like I said i don't know if you have the bike on a lift or layed over.

·
Read Only
851 Posts
I am doing this on a Pit Bull jack. Lubing the tire offers little help, but I'll try both lube and letting the air out. I have not tried both together yet. I'm assuming this is common, right? I was beginning to think something was different about my '04 because even the stock tire binds a little in that same spot.

Stan

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I am doing this on a Pit Bull jack. Lubing the tire offers little help, but I'll try both lube and letting the air out. I have not tried both together yet. I'm assuming this is common, right? I was beginning to think something was different about my '04 because even the stock tire binds a little in that same spot.

Stan
It is common for first timers and it happened to me. Now I mount a variety of 195/55-16 tires without letting the air out and without any lubricants. I think most folks are just afraid to give it a good shove. Just be careful shoving it while on a jack...make sure it is secured good.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Stan
Stan its normal you are going thru nothing different than anyone else has its a tight fit getting it in. Thats why I use the lay over method only it so much easier and i can change out a tire in less than 10 minutes myself. I tryed the lift thing on my first CT change that was the end of that LMAO Good luck :thumbup:

·
Read Only
851 Posts
Well, after lots of soap, letting air completely out, and the beginnings of a small hernia, I got it in. Next time I'll try the lay over method as suggested, which won't be too far off if I decide to keep a CT on. Now for a test ride.

Stan

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Well, after lots of soap, letting air completely out, and the beginnings of a small hernia, I got it in. Next time I'll try the lay over method as suggested, which won't be too far off if I decide to keep a CT on. Now for a test ride.

Stan
Glad to here you got it installed :thumbup: My guess after you ride on the CT for a while you will be doing this again soon LOL. They are easy to get use to and alot safer than a MT. Have fun and contain all the smiles from the ride :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts

Stan
Good news is hernia makes for lower center of gravity, which makes better cornering ;)

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Can anyone say, POST-HOLE DIGGERS!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Read Only
851 Posts
First of all. I would like to apologize to RustyDust for walking all over his thread. This was supposed to have been a new thread, but I guess I wasn't paying enough attention.

As for the test run, it was like everyone said. There was a slight tendency to stand upright, but I was able to overcome the feeling after only a few miles. Curves were a little wobbly at 1st, but I took it easy to start, then back tracked at a faster pace. All it took was beginning the lean slightly sooner before entering the curve. The ride was smooth and quiet. It suddenly became apparent to me that the D250 rear tire had been making 80% of the noise. Seems the bike sets a little lower because I was able to bend my knees for the 1st time since owning the Wing. At 5' 7" that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it will likely throw the speedo off a little more. I noticed that there are 185/65 tires available, and according to the calculator, it's almost dead on in dimensions with the stock tire size. Has anyone tried one yet?
Stan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts