GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one of these? It's on sale for 300 bucks this month. I'm tempted but want some input on if it works and how well.

Not the little one, but the one that the whole bike rolls up on, then is lifted with the foot working a hydraulic lift.

Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Trialsman: I'm in the market for a lift also. Several of my buds have the pitbull, but I like the idea of my 1800 being on a platform sitting on the center stand.
I just now visited the Harbor freight website and found this lift. Price they show is $399. Did you get a sale paper from H. Freight showing this sale? Since the capacity of the lift is rated at 1000 lbs and the 1800 would use about 80% of that capacity, would this strain the jack after it got age on it and multiple lifts? Maybe someone who has one can comment. Thanks, Ride Safe, Stobby.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Looking at one in the local store, totally changed my mind of ever buying it! would much rather pay the higher price and have a wing still, after using a lift. Does not have my vote of confidence for a $$$$ bike.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
OK here we go:

As many of you know, I sell Pitbull lifts and provide a very good price to board members. This is not an advertisement for me.

I own both the Handylift platform lift with 13" front extension, 12" side extensions etc. Very costly. When i first got this lift, I was a proud daddy. I was just like the bike shops, big, proud and mean.

Then I bought a cheap small, frame lift (Sears) regrettably. I then purchased a used Pitbull off of this board and have never looked back.

Here are some differences by comparison. I use the frame lift about 20 times a week for customers and my bike. I use the Plate lift two times a year. Once for winter storage and once for summer storage.

The Frame lift allows you to get underneath the bike entirely, for work and inspection. The plate lift only raises the bike off the floor to make it easier to clean.

Changing oil/filter on the plate lift, is not much different than doing it on the floor of the garage. The plate restricts your space and view, much the same as any floor would, no matter how high you have the bike lifted.

Pulling front and rear wheels can be done on a plate lift, but not anywhere near the ease of a frame lift.

Frame lift takes very little foot print of the garage space. Plate lift takes up the best part of a bay.

Very easy to situate bike and lift it with a frame lift, not so with the plate lift. It can be very daunting to put a bike up on a plate lift by yourself. Especially for us height challenged folks.

If I could do it all over again, I would never have purchased either the cheap Sears frame lift nor the HandyLift.

Bulldog

·
Vendor
18,595 Posts
I was in a Harbor Frieght store the other day and saw no tool or equipment worth buying. A Wal-Mart store sells better quality. There is nothing worst then cheap tools and equipment.

If your looking for good one go to http://www.handy-lift.com/BOB-1500.htm#TOP

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had a HF lift, as do several friends and none of us has had any problems with it. I've had my 1500 and 1800 up and down on the thing dozens of times with no problems. Of course, with any lift, you always strap the bike down and use the fail-safe bar that comes with it. I paid $299 plus $50 shipping and it is worth that and more. It might not be as pretty, but it does the job.

Chopper

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lift

I have the Direct Lift from Greg Smith Equipment.I love it.The bike lives on it when in the garage.The plywood boxes I built of same height on either side allows riding up with confidence even though my inseam is 28 inches.I do all my oil changing,polishing,and all maintainance work on it.The price was fair and the quality is very good.It has about five heights you can lock in.I just did a Traxxion suspension rebuild on it in comfort and safety.When I bend over my face explodes so I avoid that as much as possible.I like the fact that when the bike is on it,you still have a table for all your tools under it.It also is good for lawnmowers and such....JMHO...Jim

·
Registered
126 Posts
HF lift

I have the HF lift also. well worth the money. Ive used it for 2 years with no problems and i work on alot of bikes. I did find if the bike is to heavy it will bypass and not lift it. Had one with that little trailer hitch trike kit dont remember the name but it wouldnt lift it with the kit on. I did weld a different clamp on it so i didnt need tiedowns until i got off the bike.
Just make sure its the 1000 lb they make a smaller one.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your responses guys, but after a lot of analyzing of what I needed it for and how many times I will be using it, I bought a Pitbull Lift from Bulldog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts