GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Rockies Gold Puppet Master
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to get my HF jack to fit up under my bike with the kickstand down and when its on the center stand, I can't get the right balance. I've stood on the release peddle and it seems to be all the way down. Probably something simple, but I'm to dang tired to look at options right now. Suggestions please??!! (And yep, I know theres better jacks out there but I'm not interested at this point). Thanks!!

·
IronMan
18,394 Posts
Try putting board under rear wheel to get higher - easier to get up on stand and extra clearance mite help ?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have not tried my Craftsman jack on the Goldwing yet, but with my Royal Star and my Venture I had to put a 2x8 under the kickstand to get them to stand up staight enough to get the clearance needed to fit the jack under and clear the left side. Board under the rear tire could also do the trick, as metioned above.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Raise the suspension to 25, put a 2x? under the sidestand, put the rear arm of the jack under the centerstand pivot point.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you've not had your bike up on this jack be very careful when letting it down, there's no way to
control the speed so it's all or nothing. First time I used mine was the last time, sold it and got a good
jack :)

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
On my HF jack, if you push the pedal all the way down quickly, it lowers fairly slow.Goes down real fast if I try to "ease" it down.NOTE I haven't tried this jack to light the wing yet.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Make sure your suspension is set at 25.

I've used the Harbor Freight jack for years on several wings and there's about an inch of clearance between the jack and the center stand.
When letting it down, press the release VERY lightly and it will go down slow. If you push it all the way down, the bike will drop like a lead balloon.

Kurt

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
If you've not had your bike up on this jack be very careful when letting it down, there's no way to
control the speed so it's all or nothing. First time I used mine was the last time, sold it and got a good
jack :)
On my HF jack, if you push the pedal all the way down quickly, it lowers fairly slow.Goes down real fast if I try to "ease" it down.NOTE I haven't tried this jack to light the wing yet.
Mine IS very touchy but I CAN let it down slowly by barely depressing the lever.

Will have to try your trick of fully depressing it, but not with the bike on it :22yikes:, maybe the wife. :tongue:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
All pretty good advice here, on mine I put a little weight on the jack while pressing the release. I also position the jack where it should be and then lift the bike off the side stand(standing it straight up) while using my foot to push the jack through. Since I changed to progressive suspension and the bike sits up a little higher, I no longer have to do this.

·
Registered
21,285 Posts
I can't seem to get my HF jack to fit up under my bike with the kickstand down and when its on the center stand, I can't get the right balance. I've stood on the release peddle and it seems to be all the way down. Probably something simple, but I'm to dang tired to look at options right now. Suggestions please??!! (And yep, I know theres better jacks out there but I'm not interested at this point). Thanks!!
With the center stand down I would be worried about causing damage to the bike. :shock: the lift is designed to work with the center stand up. I suspect suspension set on 25 will help , parking the rear tire on a one or two inch board will most likely solve the clearance issue . :thumbup:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Raise the suspension to 25, put a 2x? under the sidestand, put the rear arm of the jack under the centerstand pivot point.
:thumbup: This is how I do it. Give me a shout and I'll be happy to come over and demonstrate the technique.

·
Registered
Rockies Gold Puppet Master
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys. I really appreciate it!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts