GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HB lift for 4 months Now used it half dozen times. Was going to change a front tire on the Wing got all ready to rock and roll started pumping... nothing went up an inch not any more. Took bike off was expecting to find a ruptured seal and leak... Not one drop of oil on ground. So opened up the jack add plug and was able to see the piston no oil. Apparently they added just enough To get it to work a couple times... has anyone else experienced this with the HB lift? Do I need to be aware of anything else besides adding oil and bleeding? The model I have has metal peddles with out rubber pads on them..
Thanks

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Not unusual for HF jacks. Seems they ship a lot of them that way. Maybe because they get jostled around so much coming from China.
The manual actually states to check the fluid before use. Too bad HF doesn't supply oil with the jack. Or at least say so on the box so you can buy a bottle before leaving the store.
I bought an air nailer and read the instructions. Said to use pneumatic oil before use. Said nothing on the box about oil not included. When I called HF they told me I should have known this. RIGHT!!!!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not unusual for HF jacks. Seems they ship a lot of them that way. Maybe because they get jostled around so much coming from China.
The manual actually states to check the fluid before use. Too bad HF doesn't supply oil with the jack. Or at least say so on the box so you can buy a bottle before leaving the store.
I bought an air nailer and read the instructions. Said to use pneumatic oil before use. Said nothing on the box about oil not included. When I called HF they told me I should have known this. RIGHT!!!!
Yes that’s right we should have known that... so I’m from the school of it isn’t broken I’m not going to fix it.. raised it up empty no problem raised it with load no problems several bikes... don’t understand why it worked several times then stopped with the same amount of oil... But from now on from China I will treat as possibly broken Or not right from the start....... oh well we’ll see how it works out I don’t expect problems now that I filled it, maybe I shouldn’t have said that... made in China.... 😳😂

·
Registered
244 Posts
Word of caution: strap-it-on! May seem stable going up (once you add the optional oil ;) but it isn't stable enough without straps to keep it from getting squirrly when you least expect it. Be careful putting 900# of anything up on it and working beside it in the crush zone. Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
think you just got an odd one. No issues with mine or the others I've used at other's houses.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Was thinking about getting one of these lifts. Would you all recommend them?
Here's an old thread regarding ghe HF jacks. Pictures in the thread...

Reactions: Joen

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes I have a Harbor freight lift like you described for years and yes I did add oil when it was new. Works great with the wing but yes tie it down. No issues with the lift in six years.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've used mine for the almost 7 years I've had my Wing. No problems at all. I use it for all tire changes. I recently had her on the jack for 2 days switching out the final drive. The only time I don't strap her down is changing out the front tire since the rear tire stays on the ground.😎

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Word of caution: strap-it-on! May seem stable going up (once you add the optional oil ;) but it isn't stable enough without straps to keep it from getting squirrly when you least expect it. Be careful putting 900# of anything up on it and working beside it in the crush zone. Good Luck!

Oh yes I strap it down when ever it goes up no question. Only problem has been the lack of oil in jack added oil all in order now..

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was thinking about getting one of these lifts. Would you all recommend them?
Yes just strap when lifting any bike... check oil in jack prior to first use assume that they didn’t fill it up. China must have a hydraulic oil shortage, need to save the 2 ounces of oil.....

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the response guys, well at least I’m not the only one with oil shortage... I’m satisfied so With lift 👍🏼

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
I use mine every year since 2000 and never problem, I also raise my (NOW TRIKE) off the cement garage floor every winter season, from late October - April and it stays up!

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I had the HF scissor lift for years, and had to add fluid to it.

I never used it without four tall 6-ton jack stands under it as backup, as it had a sports car on it most of the time.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
I have just purchased everything I need to convert my Harbor Freight lift to air/hydraulic. I’ll be converting it this coming week.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
My experience with one has been positive, however I can't attest to current models because I've been using the one I have for over 15 years.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
V
I have just purchased everything I need to convert my Harbor Freight lift to air/hydraulic. I’ll be converting it this coming week.
very cool how about pictures and write up for how to convert HF to air... 👍🏼

1 - 20 of 41 Posts