GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

That small trailer that HF sells sure does look intriguing. Is it possible to buy one of those and starting pulling it with a Wing with no modifications? I have no interest in pulling anything larger than this with my bike so it looks almost perfect for me.

Please share with us any trails and tribulations that you have concerning this trailer. It sure is cute, but if it is crap I would like to know about it.

·
IronMan
17,453 Posts
Make sure you repack wheel bearings with good grease they all post that if bought one they always have 20% off coupon on web site also

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have this trailer and used it for many miles. I did not modify the box/frame or tounge and it works fine. I mounted a small cooler bracked to the tounge. I did repack the wheel bearings as recommended and keep them lubed. I had an extra Goldwing trunk handle that I mounted on the right side just above the lock and it makes it easier to open/close and lock the lid.

The wiring was an issue given the hook up requirments between the wing and the trailer. I ended up picking up the Harbor LED trailer lights and mounted two for tail lights and two more for brake lights and it is bright and gives pleanty of visibility from the rear.

I pull the trailer at highway speeds with no problem and I don't notice any fishtailing at all.

Heading out Friday for a 2 week road trip of 5000+ miles and the trailer will be right behind us. It is a good trailer for the money.

As a hint, you can obtain a Harbor 20% off discount coupon from several magazines like AARP, AAA, etc whice helps with the cost. You may be able to get a discount coupon from their web site too.

You'll be happy with the trailer ..... good luck and enjoy.....

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Be careful!

I have one of those too, and I just got it put together (some assembly required). When you go to get one, BEFORE you fill out the paperwork and PAY for it, demand that they open the box for parts inspection. The problem (still having issues) is that when they ship these from China, they get tossed around, and things get broken and really screwed up in the box. I had a BROKEN SIDE MARKER, a CRACKED FENDER with a HOLE in it, and the lower half of the body shell HAS A HUGE HOLE punched through. I noticed the light and the fender right away after I got it home, but didn't notice the body damage until a week later when I started to assemble it. I'm still doing emails back-and-forth with Harbor Freight to get this straightened out.
One of the hubs was too tight and didn't rotate easily, so I removed it and replaced the bearings on that side along with a new seal, and repacked the other side. HF was good on responding to my emails, but I wish I didn't have the problems.
INSPECT THE CONTENTS OF THE BOX THOROUGHLY BEFORE YOU BUY IT.

·
Registered
674 Posts
This sounds like good advice for ANY Harbor Freight purcase!!!!

Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
66 Posts
Might look at Piggybacker

I purchased a Piggybacker trailer this past March. Looks just like the HF trailer, but they do back their warrenty pretty well. Will ship unassembled or you can p/u in SC assembled. We rode up from Fl to P/U assembled. Works well. Have pulled it about 6000 miles so far this year all the way to Canada. Really bad roads, but the PB did well.
Piggybacker.com
Bruce

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have one of those too, and I just got it put together (some assembly required). When you go to get one, BEFORE you fill out the paperwork and PAY for it, demand that they open the box for parts inspection. The problem (still having issues) is that when they ship these from China, they get tossed around, and things get broken and really screwed up in the box. I had a BROKEN SIDE MARKER, a CRACKED FENDER with a HOLE in it, and the lower half of the body shell HAS A HUGE HOLE punched through. I noticed the light and the fender right away after I got it home, but didn't notice the body damage until a week later when I started to assemble it. I'm still doing emails back-and-forth with Harbor Freight to get this straightened out.
One of the hubs was too tight and didn't rotate easily, so I removed it and replaced the bearings on that side along with a new seal, and repacked the other side. HF was good on responding to my emails, but I wish I didn't have the problems.
I bought mine assembled, and one of the hubs was tight. Definitely check (and most likely repack) the bearings. Hopefully your tongue tube fits the saddle. As noted elsewhere, mine didn't and I had to replace it ($12 for the proper 2 1/2" tube, $10 to have the appropriate holes drilled). I left it about 5" longer than stock, and it pulls great!

One other recommendation--replace the 4 bolts that hold the body to the frame with eye-bolts. Works great for securing your load with bungees. Seems like I used 3/8", but don't remember the length.

Happy trails! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I purchased one of these trailers and used it the way it came, the only thing I did before towing was to repack wheel bearings. The first time I towed it the wife wanted to go to Sam's Club 35 miles down the road. Trailer pulled great empty on the way and loaded on the way home no problems. I have since done a couple of modifications but was not needed to use the trailer. I posted the changes I made on this forum. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287405

1 - 9 of 9 Posts