GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've completed assembling my HF tag along and I'm very pleased with it so far. I've still got more upgrades I want to do to it to personalize it though. During assembly I thoroughly greased the hubs with high temp grease (red) and also purchased the HF LED light package (2 tail/turn/brake & 2 side marker lamps) and install them instead of the lights that came with it. I also painted the trailer white to match my bike. I've ordered the HF 8" chrome wheels/tires and they should be arriving this week. I'll install them then.

I do have a few questions for the HF pros:

What's the best jack for the trailer thats a decent price?

Where do I find a tongue rack for a cooler?

Who sells the kit so I can mount my tire underneath the frame? How much is it?

Here are some pics.

Before

Up to this point (not completed as of yet)

As stated earlier, I'm very happy with the trailer so far. I still have a couple of things I want to do to it. Nothing major though. When I complete it, I'll post more pics. Looking forward to many good miles with the trailer. I was shocked at the quality of the frame, axles, etc. when I purchased it. Besides lacking a good amount of grease in the axle for the bearings, all else appears to be very well made. Its not the best m/c trailer on the market but its definately worth the 300.00 I paid for it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What paint did you use, have a 20cuft Sears that needs paint, to be used on the HF trailer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What paint did you use, have a 20cuft Sears that needs paint, to be used on the HF trailer.
I used 2 different paints and painted several layers.

Krylon Fusion (for plastic, metal, wood, wicker, etc.) gloss
&
Dupli-Color

IMO the Krylon Fusion was the best. It adheres to the plastic very well and sprays on a little thicker. Wal Mart has the best prices on both paints at 4.00 & some change a can.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks Front Runner
Was looking at Fusion for the ABS parts, Rustoleum with rust for the frame repaint it black
Bike is silver, thought about bottom of box black, top silver with black accent of some kind.
Any prep work done to the box, heard a wipe down with laquer thinner, abs glue primer helps adhesion?
Nice job on yours.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I made my cooler rack out of the 1 1/4 X 2 1/2 inch angle iron. The kind that you can find at most hardware stores or building supply stores in the metal rack. The stuff that is full of holes. I found the cooler I wanted to use then made the rack to fit. I bought a cooler with the side handles so I could fasten the cooler to the rack with a bunji cord thru each handle. I also put a bunji over the top from front to back. With all the holes in the angle iron I have plenty of choices to attach the bunji cords. Worked great all the way to Alaska and back.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Front Runner
Was looking at Fusion for the ABS parts, Rustoleum with rust for the frame repaint it black
Bike is silver, thought about bottom of box black, top silver with black accent of some kind.
Any prep work done to the box, heard a wipe down with laquer thinner, abs glue primer helps adhesion?
Nice job on yours.
Nope, no prep work. I've read where some have sanded and did adhension promoter, primer, etc. but I chose not too. I did a slight sanding test run the day before I painted the trailer. I sanded a small section and painted it and also just painted another small section of the trailer without sanding. After letting it dry the rest of the day and overnight, I found that the spray paint adhered the same to both sections so I chose to just go ahead and paint the trailer and not spend the extra time sanding and prepping. I know many have done it differently though. I love the look of the trailer after I painted it but IMO as stated before the Krylon Fusion paint really adhered well to the plastic.

Any adhesion promoter should help with adhension overall, so I dont see where it would hurt.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made my cooler rack out of the 1 1/4 X 2 1/2 inch angle iron. The kind that you can find at most hardware stores or building supply stores in the metal rack. The stuff that is full of holes. I found the cooler I wanted to use then made the rack to fit. I bought a cooler with the side handles so I could fasten the cooler to the rack with a bunji cord thru each handle. I also put a bunji over the top from front to back. With all the holes in the angle iron I have plenty of choices to attach the bunji cords. Worked great all the way to Alaska and back.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Do you have any pics?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I do have a few questions for the HF pros:

What's the best jack for the trailer thats a decent price?
I use one like this.

Where do I find a tongue rack for a cooler? I also made mine out of angle iron and expanded mesh.
Who sells the kit so I can mount my tire underneath the frame? How much is it?

I bought mine from Harbor Freight also. When I bought the 8" spare tire it had a Square "U" bolt with it which fits the tubing perfectly. I don't know if it was suppose to be included with the tire but there were two tires on the shelf and both had the "U" bolt hangers with the tires.
Your trailer is looking great! I wish I could color match mine with a rattle can but I have a Durango Red bike and can't find the exact match with a rattle can. It will be too expensive to get it color matched professionally, defeating the purpose of buying a HF trailer. My son can spray so maybe one day if I find the paint at a good price I will give it a go. For the time being, I just dressed it up with some Red Honda Goldwing labels and Honda wings.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts