GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a trailer with a car top carrier. I was wandering about the use of the helper spring. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts about not using the helper spring and only using one main leaf? The gross weight with both leafs is 1060 lbs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
When I built mine I had located full discussion chains for with and without the helpers. I left mine on as I put a flatbed that I strap a car carrier to, so that I have the flatbed for hauling..............just about anything!!! for regular weekend use around the house. Plus it can haul the quad behind the raider, or Move out the children to their place... etc... you will find a wide variety of comments between the "with the spring" vs without the spring... your choice. Concensus is that without it, trailer seems to "bounce" a bit less at moderate speed.

Hope that helps ya....

Bob

·
Registered
373 Posts
2Chookies, when I built my HF/Sears cartop trailer I removed the helper spring. I also lowered the air pressure in the tires to 20 psi. (GASP!!!) I have the 8" tires/wheels. Result......... no significant bouncing. I pulled the little trailer to Key West loaded down with the luggage of me, my wife, and another couple. The trailer has performed very well in all kinds of temperatures and loaded weight. Since then, I've pulled it to the NC Outerbanks and the Texas Hill Country. Also, would highly recommend cleaning the wheel bearings and repacking with synthetic grease. BTW, after about 10,000 miles on the tires I still have about 50% tread left.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You will want to keep the shorter spring with the main spring. Otherwise the main spring will tend to flex at the very center where the hole is located. This is a point for a stress crack to develope, then crack and fail due to fatigue. JMHO as an old retired engineer. George

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have this trailer with a car top carrier. I do not need helper springs. By the time you fill it up with stuff you are no where near the spring capacity. I also took Rino bed liner and covered the trailer. Really cool. Very light weight. I have 12" wheels along with spare on the back. Bolted it to exsiting holes.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
If you want to upgrade your wheels to 12 inch you can order 4 bolt rims and tires from National Tools for about $43 each.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have built 2 of these trailers and have left the spring assembly stock. I have pulled them empty and loaded with no problems at all. I was really surprised that it caused no problems at high interstate speeds loaded or empty. I do not know it is behind me empty or loaded. I have lowered tire pressure to 20 PSI and have always ran them at this pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts