GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight.

I may have to build myself a trailer this weekend.

They now have three compact models.

8 inch wheel model - $199
12 inch - $250
Or heavy duty with 1200 lb with steel plate $280 (probably overkill)

Which model is best?

Do I really need to cut the frame/axle down to size? Can I leave as is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I got the 12 inch model.
I did cut the frame as recommended and axle.
I did extend the tongue as recommended.
Made my own cooler bracket.
Sears Top.
Been cross country and all over AZ pulling it.
Tracks great, hardly know its there even when full.

Not as fancy as the others but just as functional. And you made.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got the 12 inch model.
I did cut the frame as recommended and axle.
I did extend the tongue as recommended.
Made my own cooler bracket.
Sears Top.
Been cross country and all over AZ pulling it.
Tracks great, hardly know its there even when full.

Not as fancy as the others but just as functional. And you made.
I did the Northern Tool, which basically has similiar trailers. I opted for the 8 inch tire. I think 8 inch or 12 inch is a personal choice. The biggest thing I heard about 8 inch was that they spin too fast? Having 12 inch tires means less rotation per miles covered. I have never had a problem with my 8 inch.

On my wing, the 8 inch sits the tongue and trailer about level when connected, maybe a slight downward tilt at the tongue. If the hitch ball was taller, I'd have done the 12 inch, just for the height so that the weight would angle down on the hitch ball, not up and back. 8 inch works fine on the wing.

I didn't cut mine down, but did extend the tongue. Primed and painted it black, put black diamond plate (aluminum) down for a floor, then mounted a black truck tool box, 24 inches wide, 48 long, on the trailer. Only about 11 cubic feet, but my design was to have 8-10 inches down each side to strap on water containers, gas, tents, chairs, whatever, for camping. With the inside storage for clothing, foods, etc.

Good luck. It's time consuming, but you fell good afterwards knowing you built it.

Join this site for lots of info and ideas.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/start

·
Registered
300 Posts
I used the 8-inch wheel model because it was on sale for $139 when I bought it. I would probably choose the 12-inch version if I planned on travelling long distances regularly with it. I built it to haul my kayak and possibly some camping gear to local fishing hole.

I did not narrow it at all but did extend the tongue by 24 inches--primarily for clearance for pulling the kayak. It pulls and stops easily. I was planning on narrowing it until I bought my bunkhouse camping trailer and discovered it was actually wider than my HF trailer was.

I added a 18x36-inch diamond plate cargo box to haul gear. It also works pretty well for shopping runs--though eggs may get a little scrambled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts