GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you liscense a HF trailer in IL? they dont come with a title or the one im buying for Iowa doesnt. What to do?

·
Registered
300 Posts
May have to be titled as a home built trailer.
I plan on doing one over the winter, will buy the trailer at HF in Northern IN. Will have to check with DMV about what steps are required. I am sure there will be fees involved. I think titles are around $100 in IL now, state is broke got to make money some where.

·
Registered
452 Posts
From what I've read, in 2010 they changed the home-built trailer guidelines, which now requires a visit and inspection from the State Police to verify it was indeed home built and road worthy, along with a giant slew of bureaucratic paperwork to work on. I guess stolen trailers where being re-titled as home built because it was super easy to get a new title that way. The consensus online is that it is a major PITA to register a trailer with no VIN or existing title.

Since we all know everything on the Internet is true, I have a friend that works for the Secretary of State in Springfield. I will fire off an e-mail and try and get the scoop for you. Of course, once you get to the DMV office, all bets are off :?

·
Registered
452 Posts
No prob biglou...I sent the e-mail out this morning, I'll post up as soon as I hear back.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
When I bought my HF trailer (in AURORA, IL), they filled out forms at the store, and then issed a certificate to me that showed the VIN and other vital info. I take that certificate to the DMV, and apply for a title, and get the plate. The title fee was outrageous, but that's the way the mop flops, I guess.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks Steve...I found out my friend works in licensing, not vehicles, so she had no clue about title/registration on the trailer. But if my license ever gets suspended I now know who to call ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the help. Called Sec of State, found out that if you by from IA, IL i will issue a title with a valid IA registration and a good bill of sale.

so no more issues.... I hope.:thumbup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Harbor freight Trailor

Is anyone pulling a Harbor Freight trailor behind your bike? What do you think of it?:?:

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Is anyone pulling a Harbor Freight trailor behind your bike? What do you think of it?:?:
just go here, and there are LOTS of posts about the Harbor Freight (HF) trailers....
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

There are folks that have the "Tag-A-Long" trailers and there are others that build their own using the HF frames.
I bought the tag-a-long last summer with hopes of doing some touring, but those plans fell through. I towed the trailer empty for about 100 miles (empty which really doesn't count), and I couldn't tell it was back there. Just be sure you read some of the posts about servicing the bearings on these things as soon as you get it home....they'll probably need some TLC to get them set up right.
Steve F

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have two complaints about HFT trailers.

First, they supply the absolute cheapest nuts, bolts and washers made. They can actually be snapped in two by using two bone wrenches, one on the bolt head and the other on two nuts locked together at the other end of the bolt. If I ever buy a HFT trailer, I'll stop by Fastenal, and replace their cheap hardware with American made Grade-8 hardware.

The other complaint is that they use NON-standard wheel bearings. If a bearing fails on a tour, you cannot go get a replacement at a trailer supply store or Camping World or even at NAPA. The HFT axle bearings are an odd size.

Other than that, their trailers are a great inexpensive alternative to the mega-dollar models out there, and you can choose your own cargo pod, or a steamer trunk, or a coffin ... ;) to carry your gear.

I had a HFT trailer. I cut the frame members so it was only 30" wide at the wheelbase, and put a narrow 14 cu. ft. pod on top. it made for a great trailer that was no wider than the bike. Yes, that is a 2-bicycle rack and a 45 Watt ARCO solar panel on top! (Don't ask :oops: ) I also cut the tongue in two places and welded it at a new angle to level the trailer with the bike's hitch.

Then, on another tour with a beautiful lady who had to take EVERYTHING with her, I added a "basement" to the trailer and increased the storage capacity by 20 cubic feet! The battleship gray paint was a really bad idea. Note the LOUD electric horks mounted tot he side of the fairing. A simple installation that only required drilling eight holes into the sides.:eek:4:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts