GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a habor frt. trailer with cargo top.Habor Frt. states not to run over 55 mph.will I have trouble with the hubs getting hot.First time pulling trailer.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I keep the bearings grease up and run 70 to 80 all day long.

Last year I pulled one trailer with 12" tires to Oregon, down tha California coast and back without issue. That trailer weight was 600 pounds and did on average 700 miles a day. Just keep those bearings clean and greased!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep the bearings grease up and run 70 to 80 all day long.

Last year I pulled one trailer with 12" tires to Oregon, down tha California coast and back without issue. That trailer weight was 600 pounds and did on average 700 miles a day. Just keep those bearings clean and greased!!!
Should i change the wheel bearing grease to high temp

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I would buy two extra wheel bearings for what they cost ($8.00 to $10.00) and have that insurance on me at all times. Pack them with grease and wrap them in wax paper in a box and store them in your trailer for the "JUST IN CASE" moment..

I have two new ones in my bushtec trailer right now.. just in case...

·
Registered
386 Posts
I would buy two extra wheel bearings for what they cost ($8.00 to $10.00) and have that insurance on me at all times. Pack them with grease and wrap them in wax paper in a box and store them in your trailer for the "JUST IN CASE" moment..

I have two new ones in my bushtec trailer right now.. just in case...
I agree with that, I do the same thing. The moment I don't carry a set, I'll need them!

I use standard Valvoline Wheel bearing grease (with Moly) that you get at the Auto Parts store. Once a year, or every 8 to 10 thousand miles I take an afternoon and tear the bearings out, clean them in gas, dry them (very well), blow them out with air and repack them and reinstall. After 3 years, I have yet to replace a set of bearings and based on how they looked when I took them out, they won't need replacing for a long time yet.

I got my extra set of bearings from Northern tool. They are a standard 1" ID bearing, inner and outer.

·
Registered
374 Posts
​If you have NOT removed the 'grease' that the bearings were packed in, do it NOW! When I built my HF Tag-Along, I pulled the bearings and cleaned/repacked with Mobil1 grease. That Chinese crap in there looks kinda like Vaseline....

·
Registered
784 Posts
I second the "replace the grease" suggestion

My HF Tag Along hasn't been over 95 mph with mine but I have spent well over 20k miles pulling it. I have been from well below zero to well above 100, lots of interstate miles without problems.

·
Registered
466 Posts
replace grease

Should i change the wheel bearing grease to high temp
Check the wheel bearing grease before you pull it. I bought one of the HF Tagalong trailers a couple years ago and somebody on this forum told me to check it. When I pulled the bearings they were almost dry, and the grease in them looked like Vaseline. I packed them with high speed bearing grease and pulled it several thousand miles before somebody rear ended me and that was the end of a good $300 trailer.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
go to harbor frt web page for the tag a long trailer and read the reviews
lots of good info for that trailer. I have one and lower the tire pressure
to 25 psi, tires stay cool during travel and do not bounce as bad with
higher pressures. Never had any problems going over 55.
Yes change the factory bearing grease.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
RE: Grease

I am probably wasting a little money, but it like to use grease designed for boat trailers. I figure if a little water does get in, hopefully the boat trailer grease will hold up a little better than "regular" grease.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
​If you have NOT removed the 'grease' that the bearings were packed in, do it NOW! When I built my HF Tag-Along, I pulled the bearings and cleaned/repacked with Mobil1 grease. That Chinese crap in there looks kinda like Vaseline....
Figure a submariner would recommend Mobil-1 :lol:. For info for others, Mobil-1, also known as Mobil-1 Red is the grease used on the ship's motor-generator sets. It's a great grease. Doesn't mean the other greases won't work, just that Mobil-1 is good.

But fully agree the grease needs to be changed out.

·
Registered
386 Posts
As you tighten the nut, spin the wheel, when it just starts to grab the wheel and slow it, back it off to the next groove for the cotter pin. Wheel should spin freely and no binding should be taking place.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Should dig the old grease out off the hub or just repack with better grease
clean out all old grease hub and bearings should not try to mix grease.
if you did not damage the seals reuse them but if they have several thousand miles
on them replace them.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Did not take out inner bearing yet.should I take out the inner bearing to clean it
do both sides, you do not have to take out the race from the hub if you are not replacing them.
check youtube for videos they can be very helpful. type in wheel bearing repack in search area
and pick your video.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts