GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you take a moment and help me gather some hard data? Due to recent questions and requests from some"inquisitors" on this forum, a suggestion was made for a poll. Since it was not heeded, I would like to gather some information. Here's how it works. The next post (Post#2) will be a template. Please"quote" it, then go through it and answer the questions. (I will do the first one (that will be post three)I am not looking for opinion or hearsay, or dialog... "just the facts, ma'am..." Brief is better, and the more responses the better.

Thanks for your help. If you could send others over (especially non-darksiders) who would take a few moments, I think this will be helpful to honestly assess the safety of various tires.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In this questionnaire we are focused on GL1800 rear tires. Front tires or other bikes not included.

Total GL1800 miles you have ridden:______________

In this section, start with total mile breakdown on each kind of tire then please list as many individual tires as possible incl: brand/type/miles on each/why retired (like tires can be combined ie: 3 bridgestones averaged 10k miles each all worn out, 2 E3’s 1-14k worn out, 1 road hazard @ 4k, etc)

Total MT miles ___________
Total ROF CT Miles________
Total NRF CT miles________

#of flat tires incl cause/brand/resolution: did you patch/plug/replace - (miles unnecessary)
On MT
On ROF CT
On NRF CT

# of delaminations(please list and include extenuating circumstances if any)
On MC Brand Miles @ failure
On ROF CT Brand Miles @ failure
On NRF CT Brand Miles @ failure

Of all the tires you have run, please list your favorite(s) and a max five word reason for that choice

Please give BRIEF details (tire brand/type/miles on tire @ time of event)of any accidents/ lay downs/out of control incidents have you personally experienced related to a flat/failed tire.

Please give BRIEF details of any tire related accidents/lay downs /out of control incidents you have personally witnessed (if this involves someone else on the board, please ask them to post a first person account or ask permission to share their screen name as part of the report) Again, please include tire info

Thanks for taking the time! Results will be processed and posted.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In this questionnaire we are focused on GL1800 rear tires. Front tires or other bikes not included.

Total GL1800 miles you have ridden:_128k

In this section, start with total mile breakdown on each kind of tire then please list as many individual tires as possible incl: brand/type/miles on each/why retired (like tires can be combined ie: 3 bridgestones averaged 10k miles each all worn out, 2 E3’s 1-14k worn out, 1 road hazard @ 4k, etc)

Total MT miles _54k_ 3 metz 18k worn out: 2k delam; 8kdelam
2- E3's 14k worn out 12k retired to switch to CT

Total ROF CT Miles_12k_ Khumo 12k worn out
Total NRF CT miles_62k_GYTT 41k worn out; Falken 12.5k worn out; current Khumo 8.5k

#of flat tires incl cause/brand/resolution: did you patch/plug/replace - (miles unnecessary)
On MT 1 E3 failed valve stem replaced then wore out tire.
On ROF CT
On NRF CT on GYTT failed valve stem repaired ran tire til worn out

On MC Brand Miles @ failure 1metz [email protected] possible bad mount/bead
1 metz [email protected] riding on hot day... Vibration 4" bulge

Of all the tires you have run, please list your favorite(s) and a max five word reason for that choice
GYTT stability, sticky rain/corners, hi-miles

Please give BRIEF details (tire brand/type/miles on tire @ time of event)of any accidents/ lay downs/out of control incidents have you personally experienced related to a flat/failed tire.
GYTT went down in Ark 80mph due to valve stem. Wobbled a bit (thought it was a flat on the trailer.) No air. rode 4 miles to nearest truck stop/ repaired continued on trip.

Please give BRIEF details of any tire related accidents/lay downs /out of control incidents you have personally witnessed (if this involves someone else on the board, please ask them to post a first person account or ask permission to share their screen name as part of the report) Again, please include tire info
helped a friend pick up a couples GL1800 and took it to storage after their rear tire delaminated on a curve and threw them into a guard rail in 2008. It was a Metz 880. They were bruised but ok. bike totalled.

like that... The board does require you to add something here:thumbup: in order to get the post to go through.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts

Total GL1800 miles you have ridden:___________90k___

Total MT miles __9k dunnie250
Total ROF CT Miles__17k Kumho and Dunnie winter sport
Total NRF CT miles__73k___ Several Falkens,Hankook,federal

On MT. 1 plug
On ROF CT. 2 plug
On NRF CT. 3 plug one replca

1 On MC. Dunnie Brand 9k Miles @ failure
0 On ROF CT Brand Miles @ failure
0 On NRF CT Brand Miles @ failure

Falken sticky and light Kumho sticky and good wear

no comment

definently no comment

:thumbup: now this is what is requested but 1500 wing I had 2 more delamantions on dunnies never ran car tire till 1800 's should have though

·
Registered
1,659 Posts

Total GL1800 miles you have ridden:______108000____

Total MT miles ____108000_______
Total ROF CT Miles____0____
Total NRF CT miles____0____

I have used Dunlop D250, Dunlop E3, Metzler 880, Avon Venom, Bridgestone G704/G709.
I didn't like the Dunlop's in general because they are slippery on wet pavement.
Metzler's were ok, but experienced tread scalloping.
Avon's handled well when new, but experienced severe scalloping around 7K miles.
I ran 70 series rear E3's and Avon Venom's, but rear tires were worn out before 6K miles.
The rest of the tires I used lasted 8K for the rear and 10K for the front.

My favorite tire brand is Bridgestone and I run front and rear now to 8K and change both.

On MT 0
On ROF CT n/a
On NRF CT n/a

On MC Brand Miles @ failure 0
On ROF CT Brand Miles @ failure n/a
On NRF CT Brand Miles @ failure n/a

Bridgestone G704/G709

Handling in general, wet pavement handling, no abnormal wear issues

Please give BRIEF details (tire brand/type/miles on tire @ time of event)of any accidents/ lay downs/out of control incidents have you personally experienced related to a flat/failed tire. None

Please give BRIEF details of any tire related accidents/lay downs /out of control incidents you have personally witnessed (if this involves someone else on the board, please ask them to post a first person account or ask permission to share their screen name as part of the report) Again, please include tire info. None

-

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

Total GL1800 miles you have ridden:______________44,000

Total MT miles ___________ 8,000
Total ROF CT Miles________ 0
Total NRF CT miles________ 36,000

On MT Nail through tread out through edge of sidewall Replace Dunlop D-250

On ROF CT N/A
On NRF CT Nail near center of the tread. Hankook Ventus. Repaired with rope plug and ran it for 12,000 miles.

2 small nails in tread. Sunny SN 3830. Repaired with rope plugs and running it now!:thumbup:

On MC Brand Miles @ failure N/A
On ROF CT Brand Miles @ failure N/A
On NRF CT Brand Miles @ failure N/A

I have run 4 different NRF tires
1 Sunny SN 3830
2 Falken ZE 912
3 Hankook Ventus
4 General G-Max

Handling (especially the Sonny)
Grip
Smoothness
Safety
Peice

N/A

N/A

You didn't have a category for this.
With the Hankook Ventus flat I noticed the wing didn't feel quite right on my way to work one morning. I leave in the dark so I hadn't checked my tires. Rode to work as I normally do, hit 80mph on the slab, took the curves as I normally do (10 over posted limit). Got to work and could barely push the wing backwards to my parking spot. Looked at rear tire, hmmmm looks flat. Checked the pressure 10psi hot. Tire was stable except when in turbulent air behind a large vehicle!

·
Registered
4,796 Posts

Total GL1800 miles you have ridden:____48,500__________

Total MT miles _36,000_D250 - 17k; E3 - 18k_________
Total ROF CT Miles__12,500 (so far)______

On MT none
On ROF CT none
On NRF CT n/a

On MC 0 Brand Miles @ failure
On ROF CT 0 Brand Miles @ failure
On NRF CT 0 Brand Miles @ failure

Of all the tires you have run, please list your favorite(s) and a max five word reason for that choice Kumho!

Handling, traction, 'security' run flat

Please give BRIEF details (tire brand/type/miles on tire @ time of event)of any accidents/ lay downs/out of control incidents have you personally experienced related to a flat/failed tire. n/a

Please give BRIEF details of any tire related accidents/lay downs /out of control incidents you have personally witnessed (if this involves someone else on the board, please ask them to post a first person account or ask permission to share their screen name as part of the report) Again, please include tire info n/a

Thousands of darksider riders, tens of millions of miles of actual experience -- but what do we know?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts

Total GL1800 miles you have ridden:_87000_____________

Total MT miles __13k________
Total ROF CT Miles__74k______
Total NRF CT miles__0______

On MT 0
On ROF CT 0
On NRF CT 0

On ROF CT Brand Miles @ failure 0
On NRF CT Brand Miles @ failure 0

Kumho RF 195/55/16 on my 3rd one, mounting another in a few weeks.

Please give BRIEF details (tire brand/type/miles on tire @ time of event)of any accidents/ lay downs/out of control incidents have you personally experienced related to a flat/failed tire. None

There you go.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts

Total GL1800 miles you have ridden:______________52,000

OEM Dungflop - 8K miles - cupped @ 1K.
Bridgestone G019 195, NRF - 24K miles, still 3/32" to wear bars. ('08 Wing)
Connie Pro Contac 205, NRF - 20K miles ('03 Wing)

Total MT miles ___________8,000
Total ROF CT Miles________8,000
Total NRF CT miles________36,000

On MT - 0
On ROF CT - 0
On NRF CT - 0

On MC Brand Miles @ failure - 0
On ROF CT Brand Miles @ failure - 0
On NRF CT Brand Miles @ failure - 0

Dunnie ROF WinterSport 175/60 - 16.
It feels the best.

N/A

I've installed the Dunnie ROF 175/60 on both Wings & love it!
I've found the perfect combo for me.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Total GL1800 miles you have ridden:_53,552

Total MT miles _8300
Total ROF CT Miles_42252 One Kuhmo and 3 Pirelli Euphori's Wore them out

On MT
On ROF CT
On NRF CT

On MC Brand Miles @ failure Bridgestone 704 8300 miles at failure.

Of all the tires you have run, please list your favorite(s) and a max five word reason for that choice Pirelli Euphori Run Flat because it works best for me.

Please give BRIEF details of any tire related accidents/lay downs /out of control incidents you have personally witnessed (if this involves someone else on the board, please ask them to post a first person account or ask permission to share their screen name as part of the report) Again, please include tire info N/A

·
Registered
97 Posts
in this questionnaire we are focused on gl1800 rear tires. Front tires or other bikes not included.

Total gl1800 miles you have ridden:_197,418_____________

in this section, start with total mile breakdown on each kind of tire then please list as many individual tires as possible incl: Brand/type/miles on each/why retired (like tires can be combined ie: 3 bridgestones averaged 10k miles each all worn out, 2 e3’s 1-14k worn out, 1 road hazard @ 4k, etc)

a
total mt miles __63,228_________
total rof ct miles_134,190____ALL ON THE Kumho195/55/16RF_AVERAGE ABOUT 25,000__
total nrf ct miles________

#of flat tires incl cause/brand/resolution: Did you patch/plug/replace - (miles unnecessary)
on mt 2 times dunlop high speed deflation
on rof ct 0
on nrf ct

on mc brand miles @ failure 6,000 +/-
on rof ct brand miles @ failure
on nrf ct brand miles @ failure

of all the tires you have run, please list your favorite(s) and a max five word reason for that choice
kumho mileage/safety

please give brief details (tire brand/type/miles on tire @ time of event)of any accidents/ lay downs/out of control incidents have you personally experienced related to a flat/failed tire.
None

please give brief details of any tire related accidents/lay downs /out of control incidents you have personally witnessed (if this involves someone else on the board, please ask them to post a first person account or ask permission to share their screen name as part of the report) again, please include tire info
none

thanks for taking the time! Results will be processed and posted.
xxx

·
Registered
454 Posts
Total GL1800 miles you have ridden: 30,000+

Total MT miles 12,000
Total ROF CT Miles_None_____
Total NRF CT miles 18,000

#of flat tires incl cause/brand/resolution: did you patch/plug/replace - (miles unnecessary

On MT - None
On ROF CT - NA
On NRF CT - None

On MC Brand Miles @ failure - None
On ROF CT Brand Miles @ failure - None
On NRF CT Brand Miles @ failure - None

Of all the tires you have run, please list your favorite(s) and a max five word reason for that choice. 195/60-16 Dunlop SP Sport 5000. "This IS the Holy Grail!"

Please give BRIEF details (tire brand/type/miles on tire @ time of event)of any accidents/ lay downs/out of control incidents have you personally experienced related to a flat/failed tire. Catastrophic failure of rear tire inner tube at 105 mph on Honda CB450 in 1971; brand unknown. "Substantial" out-of-control fish-tailing for about 1/2 mile before bringing bike under control; "substantial" amount of detergent required to repair under-and-outer garments....

·
Registered
4,643 Posts

Total GL1800 miles you have ridden:___58k_

Total MT miles D250 13k worn out, ME880 ~11k worn out and wobbling, Shinko 7k front blistered so changed both, 'Stone ~8k wore out, Stone ~9k wore out, ME880 ~8k wore out.
Total ROF CT Miles_800 Michelin Primacy Alpin PE3 ZP 195-55-16

On MT 0
On ROF CT 0
On NRF CT 0

On MC Brand Miles @ failure 0 (had a Shinko front develop huge blisters)

Of all the tires you have run, please list your favorite(s) and a max five word reason for that choice 'Stones - best balance performance / mileage

None

None

necessary line for it to post

·
Registered
204 Posts
ok

Total GL1800 miles you have ridden:_____48,000_________

Total MT miles _____20,000_____8,000 on original Dunlop D250 worn out. 3,000 on Dunlop E3, punctured by nail and delaminated before I knew it was low on air. Replaced with another E3 and ran for 9,000 when worn out. Replaced with Continental Conti ROF._
Total ROF CT Miles__28,000____Continental Conti ROF worn out at 18,000 miles with no problems. Replaced with Dunlop Sport 3000 ROF which is still on with 10,000 miles and about half worn out with no problems__

On MT one due to nail, plugged and rode about 40 miles very slowly to nearest dealer and replaced because of big knot from delamination.
On ROF CT zero
On NRF CT zero

On MC Brand Miles @ failure 3,000 on E3 due to nail and not realizing it was going flat until it started wobbling and large knot formed.
On ROF CT Brand Miles @ failure none
On NRF CT Brand Miles @ failure none

Of all the tires you have run, please list your favorite(s) and a max five word reason for that choice Continental, stuck good, good mileage

Please give BRIEF details (tire brand/type/miles on tire @ time of event)of any accidents/ lay downs/out of control incidents have you personally experienced related to a flat/failed tire. none

Please give BRIEF details of any tire related accidents/lay downs /out of control incidents you have personally witnessed (if this involves someone else on the board, please ask them to post a first person account or ask permission to share their screen name as part of the report) Again, please include tire info none

·
Registered
583 Posts
Total MT miles 5,000___________
Total ROF CT Miles 35,000______
Total NRF CT miles_0_______

On MT 0
On ROF CT 1 roofing nail, took to tire guy and had it patched inside and had a totoal of 18k on it when changed.
On NRF CT 0

First 2 c/t's were Pirelli eurofiori and 3 rd one is Kumho. Liked the Pirelli's but thought I would try the kumho. It is doing fine.

·
Registered
327 Posts

Total GL1800 miles you have ridden:__125000____________

Total MT miles _30000_Dunlops average 6000 per set_Metzler 880 delaminated at 3500_______
Total ROF CT Miles30000__Kumho 7000 ea______
Total NRF CT miles__Falken 7000 ea______

On MT 0
On ROF CT 0
On NRF CT 0

On MC Brand Miles @ failure Metzler 880 at 3500
On ROF CT Brand Miles @ failure none
On NRF CT Brand Miles @ failure none

Of all the tires you have run, please list your favorite(s) and a max five word reason for that choice I've run more Falkens but will try Michelin winter next

Please give BRIEF details (tire brand/type/miles on tire @ time of event)of any accidents/ lay downs/out of control incidents have you personally experienced related to a flat/failed tire. Never had a flat but I don't run a tire untill it's wore out

I have never had a flat but like I said never wear one down

·
Crazy Northerner
8,621 Posts

Total GL1800 miles you have ridden:_____94k_________

Total MT miles __83.5K____
Total ROF CT Miles__10.5k__

On MT 3 2 stones 1 puncture 1 pothole sidewall seperation, 1 Avon puncture
On ROF CT 0
On NRF CT N/A

On MC Brand Miles @ failure 1 stone sidewall seperated after hitting pothole
On NRF CT Brand Miles @ failure N/A

Of all the tires you have run, please list your favorite(s) and a max five word reason for that choice. Kumho ROF Handling, ROF, Comfort

Please give BRIEF details (tire brand/type/miles on tire @ time of event)of any accidents/ lay downs/out of control incidents have you personally experienced related to a flat/failed tire. N/A

Please give BRIEF details of any tire related accidents/lay downs /out of control incidents you have personally witnessed (if this involves someone else on the board, please ask them to post a first person account or ask permission to share their screen name as part of the report) Again, please include tire info N/A

·
Registered
655 Posts
Total GL1800 miles you have ridden:_17,000___

Total MT miles ____1000___Bridgston original 2001
Total ROF CT Miles_14,000 195/55 -16 Dunlop SP Sport
Total NRF CT miles__2,000 205/60 -16 GdYear Assurance Tripl T

On MT 0
On ROF CT 0
On NRF CT 0

On MC Bridgestone ?17,000 Miles @ failure
On ROF CT Miles @ failure
On NRF CT Miles @ failure

Of all the tires you have run, please list your favorite(s) and a max five word reason for that choice Dunlop SP SPORT RF safe stable at all speeds

???????????

????????????

Thank you I could not figure how accumulate such data

·
Registered
268 Posts

Total GL1800 miles you have ridden: 78,200

Total MT miles 61,400
Total ROF CT Miles 16,800
Total NRF CT miles 0

On MT 1 Avon Cobra Replace
On ROF CT (Torn OEM Valve Stem massive air loss) -1 Kumho Ecsta 195x55Rx16 ROF/Replace after riding 200 miles home on flat fire
On NRF CT 0

On MC Brand Miles @ failure 1 Avon Cobra/10K miles/Tire was flat in morning - closer examination showed tread saparation was not riding at time of failure
On ROF CT Brand Miles @ failure - 0
On NRF CT Brand Miles @ failure - 0

Front - Dunlop E3 - good all around tire
Front - Stone G709 - Great for curvy roads lacks in longevity
Rear - Kumho Ecsta 195x55Rx16 ROF Best tire I have ever had on a motorcycle! been riding for 35Years

Please give BRIEF details (tire brand/type/miles on tire @ time of event)of any accidents/ lay downs/out of control incidents have you personally experienced related to a flat/failed tire. - 0

0 Accidents - But have been following two friends on different instances where in case 1 a chunk of tire delaminated - was able to ride 70 miles back home (Dunlop E3- Riding 1up).

Case 2 - I was following another friend. Stopped for gas and comfort stop. Got back on bike and 1/2 mile down the road rear end of bike got a wobble - stopped and instected and discovered large bulge on side tread. Nursed the bike home @ 35mph for 50+ miles - Bridgstone (Riding 2 up)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts