GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone expereinced a problem with down shifting after a hard stop. I noticed that my bike acts up from time to time after a hard and sudden stop. The type where the light changes quick and you grab a hand full of clutch and brake. Once stoped, I then must release the clutch a bit to engage the gears before shifting down another gear. makes me do this through the gears to first.

Trying to see if this something else my home made sifter set up is causing, or, bike related.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
49 Posts
That happens to me too.

If I am in 5th gear (OD) and kick her all the way down to 1, once at a dead stop I still might be in 2nd or 3rd. This 2006 GL 1800 (3500 K) I have now and the 1989 GL 1500 (75K) was the same way.

She likes to be walked down through the gears or I do what you do, synchro the gears a little by letting off the clucth a bit and then shift down to 1st gear.

Sometimes she wants to hang in neutral on a "quick" downshift from 5th to 1st. I try to downshift and let out the clutch into 3rd for a moment and then down to 1st, there is usually no "hang-up".

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Wheels said:
Once stoped, I then must release the clutch a bit to engage the gears before shifting down another gear. makes me do this through the gears to first.
'Like that quite often no matter how I stop. Several gear changes always requires some clutch work. Sometimes, even second to first will.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You just need to ease out on the clutch a little and let the gears line up. This normal on just about any straight shift gear box. Richard

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys! I am fighting with my shifter these days and before I totally give up on it, I am trying to eliminate what I can from the process of issues. "Normal" is a good word so I will go with that.

Jim

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I usually downshift now more than two gears at a time, mainly for the engine breaking. I often need to fiddle with the clutch on the way from second to first. But I've done that on pretty much every bike I've ever had, for so long that I had to stop for a sec and think about what you were asking.. It's one of those things I got used to..

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My hayabusa did the same thing - need some pressure or movment to get it to all the way to 1st.
Goldwing does it too - just need to remember

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yep...me also. Seems pretty normal. Sometimes a person does not have time to down shift.

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Every bike I have owned or ridden has done that hard stop or not. All it takes is to come to a stop without downshifting until at a rest.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
You should be downshifting as you stop not after. If you are still in 4th or 5th and realize the guy behind is not stopping are you going to be able to pull away quickly. I always downshift as I stop. When doing an emergency stop the left foot hits the shifter down several times to ensure I am in first as the bikes comes to a stop. As you said once stopped it is sometimes hard to get her into first but with the bike still moving it is not a problem.
I think it is a good habit to get into !

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
On Motorcycle trannis, they use a shifting drum that has slots running vertical and diagnally that the shifting forks follow as you go up and down the gears. You can't go to the next gear until the shifting drum completes it's current motion. It needs the help of the gears rotating to properly seat the fork in its place. That's why you have trouble dropping several gears at a stop sign. It doesn't get a chance to complete the shift. Once you start moving it seats its self.
Carry on.

·
Vendor
2,349 Posts
nedro said:
On Motorcycle trannis, they use a shifting drum that has slots running vertical and diagnally that the shifting forks follow as you go up and down the gears. You can't go to the next gear until the shifting drum completes it's current motion. It needs the help of the gears rotating to properly seat the fork in its place. That's why you have trouble dropping several gears at a stop sign. It doesn't get a chance to complete the shift. Once you start moving it seats its self.
Carry on.
Correct.

Car trannies you can throw into neutral, or any gear for that matter, and coast to a stop using the brakes. A MC trans has to sequentially pass through each gear to get back to first.

It isn't good for a motorcycle transmission to just shift it through a bunch of gears without at least releasing the clutch slightly in between gears to complete each movement of the shift drum and forks.

Just downshifting all the way and letting out on the clutch is one way shift forks get bent. The trans will drag or whack the forks home instead of them sliding home to the next gear.

Plus, when it goes "crunch" and finds the missing gear, that's hard on the engagement dogs between each gear.

S

·
0 Posts
Do it all the time - yes I hate it when it happens. Worse I forget I am in third and try to pull away from the light and then have to fidget with the shifter while the horns are a honkin.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the additional info guys. Not that it happens all the time, but there have been a few times while riding the trike that due to light timing, or some knucklehead, I have had to grab the clutch and break and pull it all in. Once stopped, I then use the electric shifter that I have on the bike to work the gears down. Only been riding a bike for a year and a half, and while I have taken the bike apart a bunch these days, I obviously have not done much with motors and such. Still learning.

Why I asked was due to problems I am having with my shifter. It is a home made set up and the fellow that made it has passed away and I have no background on it. Has been giving me trouble with down shifting, thus I wanted to see if this was more a problem with the shifter, or, something bike related. This helps a lot. Now that I know it is more a characteristic of the bike, it is one less bug to add into the shifter thought process.

Still can't help but feel anxious when the bike does bang down into first, but, I have read hear many times that this also is a characteristic of the bike.

Again, thank you
Jim

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
If you took some detailed pics of your custom set-up, we might see something that could be questionable and could maybe point you in the right direction.
Good luck!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Jim,

If you end up needing to replace the shifter unit, Neff Design and Engineering maks a universal kit that should work well on a Wing. Their website shows it mounted on a BMW and a Valkarie. I saw one of their uints installed on a custom built trike put together by Orange County I believe. It looked pretty slick.

http://personal.riverusers.com/~lneff/aboutus.htm

Good luck! Hope you get it working properly.

P.S.
On a side note, they also make custom wheels for mounting a CT on a BMW!!! Oh my!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
kg5ie said:
Jim,

If you end up needing to replace the shifter unit, Neff Design and Engineering maks a universal kit that should work well on a Wing. Their website shows it mounted on a BMW and a Valkarie. I saw one of their uints installed on a custom built trike put together by Orange County I believe. It looked pretty slick.

http://personal.riverusers.com/~lneff/aboutus.htm

Good luck! Hope you get it working properly.

P.S.
On a side note, they also make custom wheels for mounting a CT on a BMW!!! Oh my!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I believe you're correct about OCC and the Trike. I saw that episode also and I'm almost positve that it was NEFF that they installed for the rider. They seemed impressed by the setup.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
This may or may not help you out much Wheels but I as a habit always downshift sequencially engine braking while slowing especially from higher speeds until I end up in first as I come to a stop. It just makes more sense than relying soley on your brakes to slow down, it's not a car with an automatic tranny afterall and puts you in the proper gear at any given speed.

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
my opinion, first u need to change your down shifting habits so that u get down to first gear before u come to a complete stop, any bike i have ever riden would b difficult to shift up or down after the bike stops moving

if that doesn't help maybe it is a problem caused by the different shifting mechanism

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nedro The following are a few shots. The first is the "brains" of the operation that I found in the trunk. Little blurry.

Next is the complete shifter unit. The arm with the whole is where a rod attaches that goes back to the shifter rod.

The next photo is of the complete shifter broken down.

Completely home made.

kg5ie Thanks! I did happen to see that show and have made a few calls to not only these guys but a few others as well. It's not really the problem getting this, it's just that currently you can't see any of this so it is fun to see the looks of "how did you shift." This shifter hids behind the lower front cowling and can't be seen. The after market stuff all mounts on the outside of the bike, just over the foot peg on the left side. Not that big of a deal, just something cool that I had hoped to keep.

Will give it a go bluewing05.

Teaser 1 - This only is an issue on those very rare occassions when there is no time. The dreaded quick light change and such. I too always shift down under normal operating conditions.

Thanks guys

1 - 20 of 23 Posts