GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Zumo 550 should ship either today or Monday according to the supplier. According to the Zumo 550 manual it has to be hard wired into the electrical system. Has anyone done this for a similar device and what would you recommend. The bike is a 2006 standard version.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

·
Registered
311 Posts
Did it for a Garmin Quest. I used a Radio Shack 274-1569 coaxial plug and 274-1582 coxial jack. I mounted the Jack in the left pocket at the top of the angled side above the DC outlet that I also installed. I took the power from the same source, the DC accessory connection under the pocket. That way I can un-plug it for easy removal.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The mounting harness for the Zumo cradle will be permanently attached to the cradle (so you don't need any additional plugs/jacks).

You'll want to remove the gauge cover, mount the zumo cradle and run the cable down the handlebars (assumed mounting location). Run the cable under the triple tree cover and then follow the metal dash supports under the gauge cover to the left pocket. You can pick up the power at the ACC power plug connection (the red plug in the picture below)

This connection is switched so it will only power the unit when the key is on but this is fine since it has an internal rechargeable battery.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Lee, If I understand correctly you attached the 274-1569 Plug to the Garmin Harness and then with the 274-1582 installed in the LH pocket you simply plug it in, that way if you want to move it you can.

I take it that you spliced in to the factory accessory harness.

Thanks again,

Wayne

·
Registered
311 Posts
DubT said:
Thanks Lee, If I understand correctly you attached the 274-1569 Plug to the Garmin Harness and then with the 274-1582 installed in the LH pocket you simply plug it in, that way if you want to move it you can.

I take it that you spliced in to the factory accessory harness.

Thanks again,

Wayne
Exactly. I have 3 ways of mounting my Quest.
1. The Garmin MC mount, with the 274-1569 plug & plug for AUX audio.
2. The Garmin cigarette lighter plug/w speaker.
3. A Ram mount with no external power.

If I want my MP3 player connected to the AUX I use either 2 or 3.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts