GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

My wife's hands are small and the reach is difficult for her on her Honda Rebel.

Per someones advice on the board I bought kids lever for the clutch side. To shape the lever where it inserts into the control I used JB Weld and ground down aluminum to be similar to the OEM Rebel lever.

It seems the JB weld is relatively soft compared to the aluminum, which I noticed when grinding and smoothing the JB weld area. Any tricks you can suggest to harden the outer surface of the JB weld area? It's in a spot where it acts as a fulcrum when you squeeze the grip.

Maybe a thin coating of epoxy resin...or does the JB Weld need to cure longer? It's been about 48 hours and the area is about 1/8 thick.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I'm concerned about safety issues with this one. What would happen if she was at a stoplight holding the clutch in, and there was a total failure of the JB Weld? Would the bike be in danger of lurching forward?

If that is a possibility you need to look for another solution.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, it's not in a spot that would happen...I tried it with just the aluminum and it worked, before I put on the JB...the JB was applied only to make the rocker action of pull in a bit easier.

tested it this morning and I'm ok. worst case scenario is the JB wears down and I'll have to tighten clutch cable a hair

thanks for your concern

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Might I suggest you take the lever to a weld shop that does aluminum welding and have them build up the area in question with several beads of weld. Then file the lever to the dimensions you require. Aluminum is easy to file and you can fine sand it for smoothness.
7074 T6 is a good aluminum that you can actually polish to a mirror (chrome) finish and it's very structurally strong. Depending on how much time you have on your hands, your mechanical ability, and with a few simple tools, you could fabricate your own lever using the existing one as a template.

·
Registered
268 Posts
JB weld is nothing more than a catylized epoxy with metal, probably aluminum, in it. Epoxy can be hardened, or at least taken all the way to curing by heating it. You might try heating the part to about 150 degrees for a few minutes and allowing it to cool on its on. You can probably do this in your kitchen oven. Should help some. Take Care George

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks george... i held it in front of my reddi heater with gloves got it hot and cooled it as you suggested...thanks I'm good to go

1 - 6 of 6 Posts