GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new customer has wanted a GW for years. He buys a 2004 MotorTrike with 84k on the ODM. After having it only 2 weeks and only putting 50 miles on it, he brings it to me with major ADG noise. He wants a major service, with a valve adjustment, and a rear trike service too. It's then he mentions the noise, and I can tell that he really cannot afford what he's already asked for.

My main concern is his noise. I listened to it, took it for a short test ride, and tell him that I believe his ADG noise is cause from a very poor running engine, and there's no way to really know until his valve movement, his air filter, and spark plugs are checked. After checking his valve movement, adjusting them, replacing the spark plugs and air filter, his noise is gone, but is trike needs add'l repair.

In addition, while his Wing's been in my shop, he's been laid-off, and cannot afford any additional work. He a county worker who works in the park system, and the county closed all parks due to the virus. Although what he came in for is about $1300, and more work is needed too, I called asking permission to do the add'l work while also capping his bill at $1000.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would have done the same thing. We are all in this together and need to help each other out. Good job Greg. I don't think we say it enough but Thank You for you input and advice on different issues. I consider your advice through and your knowledge very valuable.

·
Registered
700 Posts
ADG = ? Sorry, I’m just not catching that one.

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ADG = ? Sorry, I’m just not catching that one.
Mechanical ADGs from 2001-2005 can make excessive noise, in this case, a loud knocking noise, if an engine runs poorly. A similar noise, or much lighter version, can be heard if a rider starts out in 2nd instead of 1st. In this Wing's case, all 6 spark plugs were fouled.

Some might have thought this one sounded like a rod knock.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Way to Go Greg-good karma comes around!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts