GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not a bike basher, they make all flavors of candy because everyone is different and has different tastes, heck they even make licorice for some reason...YUK!!! I have often said that I would not trade my 2006 GL1800 with 82,000 miles for a new Harley IF the deal was that I was going to have to ride it for several years and not sell it and I stand behind that statement today. Its just not for me, I have a good friend that traded his GL1800 in on a new Ultra Classic and is still completely happy, its what he wanted, he really likes the feeling of being a Harley owner and its seems he would rather be around other Harley owners (we dont see much of him anymore).

Here is something that amazed me though............In the latest issue of IRONBUTT magazine (which is a magazine that I have a hard time putting down and going to sleep) James Kistler has compiled all the data they have recieved on 2010 SaddleSore 1000 official finishers (1000 miles in 24 hours). If you know anything about the IBA they do their homework and are pretty precise about proof of the ride. Here are the amazing statistics:
  1. 2,305 riders completed the SaddleSore in 2010
  2. 84 Passengers went along for the ride
  3. 22 Countries were represented (Top 5 -USA, Finland, Russia, Canada, Sweden)
  4. All 50 US states had riders complete SS1000 (Texas had the most/Vermont and Washington DC tied for the lowest (1 each -politicians are too busy sexting and stealing our money to ride)
  5. The top three states in the US were Texas, California, and Florida.
  6. FORTY ONE PERCENT of all ride finishers did it on a Harley Davidson (HD count is more than Honda and BMW COMBINED!)
  7. Harley - 948
  8. Honda -431
  9. BMW -392
  10. Yamaha-168
  11. Kawasaki-127
  12. Suzuki-93
  13. Victory-50
  14. Triumph-28
  15. Ducati-16
  16. Can-Am-12
  17. Buel-11
  18. MotoGuzzi-10
  19. KTM-4 (I thought thered be more)
  20. Unlisted-4
  21. Aprilla-3
  22. Big Dog-2
  23. Campagna-1 ???
  24. Royal-1 ???
  25. Swift-1 ???
  26. SYM-1 ???
  27. VESPA-1 (was this a joke??)
I dont know about you but that amazed me, he did not post a compiliation of longer rides, it would be interesting to see what the ratio is on the muliti day rides. But we cant really say how the Harley owners just ride their bikes down the street to the watering hole to be seen, there are some hard core Harley riders out there that ride because they love it and love to see the countryside. I cant help but feel that if they tried it on a Gl1800 they would like it more..but who's to say?

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
That proves everybody needs to go buy a Harley:thumbup:

PS My son David at Smokey Mtn Harley Davidson in Maryville,Tn will be glad to take of you.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Lots of people that come to Sturgis on Harley bikes every year ride at least 1000 miles the first day on their way here and don't bother with the official Iron butt thing. They just do it because they want to and they are in a hurry to get here.

They are the very serious riders, not the ride from bar to bar type (we get plenty of those too as well as "riders" that pull them on trailers ). I don't know the statistics but I'd be willing to bet there are allot more Harley's on the road in the US than there are any other bike, which is why the numbers on the Iron Butt are higher for Harley riders than any other brand.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Interesting. I wonder how many Harleys are owned in the U.S. vs. anything else. That would be interesting to add to.
You are right that there are riders and owners and any brand can fall victim to the person with the keys.

·
Registered
543 Posts
there are some hard core Harley riders out there that ride because they love it and love to see the countryside.
That describes the Harley owners I ride with. ATGATT most of the time, 30k+ miles/year. :thumbup:

I cant help but feel that if they tried it on a Gl1800 they would like it more..but who's to say?
I find the seating position on my Wing to be more classic/sport than cruiser. I just could never get comfortable on the Nomad with my feet out in front of me. Even now as I type this my feet are safely out of harm's way under the chair. It's a seating position that's not for everyone, for sure.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
But we cant really say how the Harley owners just ride their bikes down the street to the watering hole to be seen, there are some hard core Harley riders out there that ride because they love it and love to see the countryside.
True Dat :thumbup:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Living in Harley country as I do (near Milwaukee) has given me some perspective on this I think...

There ARE HD riders who ride the snot out of their machine (like GW owners do). There are also HD owners who ride locally only (like GW owners)...

But the one thing missing from that report is the raw number of HD's owned in the USA vs the GW....

For the most part HD owners do not ride as much as many of US here...but I sometimes think we are mileage hogs too..:thumbup:.Many of the HD owners I personally KNOW only ride 5K per year...local rides mainly on the weekends...

·
Registered
792 Posts
I can also add that Harley riders rarely measure their value as a rider by what shows up on their odometer(s).

I've never been a member of a forum where members actually list their lifelong motorcycling accomplishments and affiliations in their signature lines..

:shrug:

It's definitely a more laid back crowd. I ride with both, but with few exceptions prefer the Harley crowd. Sometimes I ride my GL, sometimes my HD. They don't care. We are more concerned with having a good time and seeing the countryside. Heck, we can ride sunup to sundown and never even leave the Island.. Top speed maybe 50 MPH. Good times.

The statistic above doesn't surprise me at all - there are more HDs on the road so it would figure their stats would be high. 41% is impressive considering the stereotype they're labeled with around here.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Living in Harley country as I do (near Milwaukee) has given me some perspective on this I think...

There ARE HD riders who ride the snot out of their machine (like GW owners do). There are also HD owners who ride locally only (like GW owners)...

But the one thing missing from that report is the raw number of HD's owned in the USA vs the GW....

For the most part HD owners do not ride as much as many of US here...but I sometimes think we are mileage hogs too..:thumbup:.Many of the HD owners I personally KNOW only ride 5K per year...local rides mainly on the weekends...
I only ride about 5,000mi a year on my GW. So ?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I only ride about 5,000mi a year on my GW. So ?

So you are an average Harley rider....?

Last week I went on one of my annual trips...a short one...only 4200 miles....My neighbor has not put that many miles on his HD in any one year since I've known him...(about 12 years).

Another neighbor rides a lot on his HD's (he has 2) but still only puts on about 8K per year total...

I think that is more the average for both HDs and GWs than my average of 12500 per year or others here who ride more than that...

Just observing...no judgements....:rolleyes:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Harley is here to stay... might as well accept it.. with that said.. i like all brands of bikes... its not what you ride.. it is you DO ride..

cosmic

·
Registered
296 Posts
I usually do 2 iron butt rides a year for the last 10 years. I have never documented it offically. I wonder how many other riders do the same. Honda and Harley.:shrug:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi

You have the... 2,305 riders completed number

But it would be more fun if you could give the count of the
UNCOMPLETED list.Then we could have something to put chew-up.:joke:

Robert

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
A thousand miles on a Harley.........are you sure?? I did not know a Harley could go that far. :tongue::tongue::joke:

·
Registered
143 Posts
As some of you may know, I have both... 2010 GW and 2008 HD Ultra. They are very different... I guess that's why I own both.

We took a short trip Memorial Day weekend... about 900 miles. When we were ready to pack, I asked my wife which bike she wanted to take... She loves the HD, but wanted the GW on a 900 mile trip :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
A thousand miles on a Harley.........are you sure?? I did not know a Harley could go that far. :tongue::tongue::joke:
It can go farther than a GW can go before its frame breaks. :joke:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I usually do 2 iron butt rides a year for the last 10 years. I have never documented it offically. I wonder how many other riders do the same. Honda and Harley.:shrug:

If it's not documented, it didn't happen.

An example: I rode 1500 miles a day for 30 days straight. Yeah, you could call me names and say it isn't so........but, if the IBA issued me a certificate, I did it and proved it.

I'm not saying you didn't do the rides. I'm just saying that anybody can claim about anything on a forum.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
It can go farther than a GW can go before its frame breaks. :joke:
Yea I guess ya got me there. Lol! Best behave before someone without any sense of humor gets upsit. :joke:

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
Ride what makes you happy. Be it Honda, Harley, or whatever. Some lucky folks have several choices. Ride Safe:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 145 Posts