GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just yesterday got back from a 4 day trip to Fairbanks, Alaska. My wife's daughter and her husband had ridden their Harleys to Alaska from Lapeer, Michigan and had an accident on the Dalton Hwy between the Arctic Circle and the town of Coldfoot. The kids are banged & bruised but otherwise OK, Thank God! I flew up there to help them as they were still somewhat dazed from the accident. The original plan was to swap the trailer hitch from the son-in-laws bike to the step daugthers' bike and I was to ride her bike back to Michigan pulling their pop-up trailer. Unfortunately her bike was damaged enough that it will take awhile to repair and they might even total it. His bike is almost surely totaled. The thing that amazed me the most other than how little damage they personally received was how helpful their Harley dealer (Ray C's in Lapper, MI) was. I mean this guy called them at least 3 times a day each day I was there! He offered to send one of his guys up to Fairbanks to help with the bikes, he checked a couple of places to get quotes for shipping the bikes and trailer back home, he even offered to send them some cash to tide them over during this ordeal! With this kind of personal involvement is there any question as to where the kids will buy their next bikes from? How many Honda dealers do you think would go this far? There is alot of bad mouthing about Harley motorcycles on this forum but there are alot of good Harley people out there. We know our GoldWings are the best motorcycle:lol: on the road but Harley sure has perfected the 'Brotherhood of Bikers'. Thank God for looking after our kids and all the people that helped along the way.
Ken

·
Registered
514 Posts
A great story

I doubt there is a Honda dealer anywhere that would go to such extremes to help a customer.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Harley

Almost makes me want to buy a Harley, ALMOST.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
This has nothing do with Brand X dealer. That Manager is in a class of his own. There is not a single Harley dealer or Honda dealer I have run across that would have done that. I would follow that manager no matter where he decided to work at.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I doubt you will find many dealers of any sort that would go to those measures.

A Gem for sure. :thumbup:

Best wishes for your family.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
To say the least, incredible service. In the event I decide to buy another Harley, I will consider Lapeer Harley, since it is only a three hour ride from my home.

Yes, most Honda dealers could learn something from Lapeer Harley.

·
Registered
224 Posts
(Ray C's in Lapper, MI

Hats off to Ray (if that is his name). I've never heard of any dealer going out of his/her way to help a client!! Job well done.

Hey, maybe he can start selling Goldwings!!!!!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I agree with a previous post that this manager's actions were most likely independent of what brand MC he sells.

On the other hand, HD dealers are especially sensitive to problems/u\issues their owners encounter on the road, especially on cross country rides.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
That isn't a dealer/brand issue, It just shows the type of human being he is.

There are good people everywhere. Sometimes they're hard to find.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I know a Lexus dealer that will do that........but a motorceekle dealer? Nahhhhhh, except this one it appears.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I doubt there is a Honda dealer anywhere that would go to such extremes to help a customer.
I know of at leat two that would and have done as much!!!!, IT IS THE PERSON RUNNING THE FRANCHISE NOT THE FRANCHISE, HE COULD HAVE BEEN A DATSUN DEALER

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread.Good to hear that the kids will mend with minamal damage to both of them.:bow:

That Harler dealer/owner will be in business a very long time with that Attidude.:thumbup:

When my bike broke.I called the dealer to tell them what had happened.I called them 10 minutes after the bike was loaded on the trailer to ask them if someone could wait there (it was 10 minutes from closing time) so I could drop off the bike?.
I was 30 minutes out.
When I got there the place was closed up tighter than a virgin.:wrong:

Like someone said.Follow that person who called your kids where ever he goes.You don't meet them everyday.:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Ray C is a great guy, he will go way out for people.

Wish he was a Honda dealer.

Prayers for a speedy recovery, from Michigan.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The guy that was calling was the dealership owner Ray C.
Ken

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Dealers can not do things like that when there customers want to buy bikes at big discounts. And then buy other things they need off the internet.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Dealers can not do things like that when there customers want to buy bikes at big discounts. And then buy other things they need off the internet.
Customers wouldn't buy bikes at big discounts and wouldn't buy things they need off the internet if they were treated like this.

It's pretty much a two way street. At least for me if I get great customer service the discounts and costs don't play into the picture as much. Great customer service is worth it's weight in gold and more than makes up for any price differences. Wish more shops and dealerships would realize this.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Harley dealers

Its great to see a dealer offer to help like that but I've seen more that wont give you the time of day. Doesn't matter if I ride up on my Harley, or Goldwing or drive up in the Caddy.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Customers wouldn't buy bikes at big discounts and wouldn't buy things they need off the internet if they were treated like this.

It's pretty much a two way street. At least for me if I get great customer service the discounts and costs don't play into the picture as much. Great customer service is worth it's weight in gold and more than makes up for any price differences. Wish more shops and dealerships would realize this.

I agree, great service I will pay more. Lousy service / big attitudes, I buy off line.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
With that kind of attitude, if I was in the market for a Harley I would fly to MI to buy a bike from them and ride it home.

Just makes you feel warm & fuzzy when someone offers that much customer support. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts