GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well I mean Duh!!

If you are gonna ride a Harley, or Saxon, or custom chopper, air cooled bike.

You simply wear leather protective gear. High boots and so on.

Tennis shoes, shorts and textiles that melt all over the pipes..........Duh........

I think they will lose this one.

That would be my first question, do you guy not know about protective gear and the simple laws in the state riding rules and regulations. Eh!!

·
Love The DCT
12,011 Posts
Don't know if I support this or not, but the final outcome might be interesting. I had an 07 RG for 39,000 miles, it did run hot even with open AC, mufflers and tune. My 02 doesn't.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/07/28/38540.htm
Haven't been burned by my 09 RK or the 2012 RG Ultra. However, I don't wear shorts and tenny runners while riding. No problems with the six speed tranny either. :doorag:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sometimes the Harley lifestyle can expose "bikers" to extreme climates.....clearly these 4 were not up to the challenge.....:bow:

·
Registered
268 Posts
When I had my FLHTCUI in 2000, the heat was so bad, at times I contemplated getting off the bike when stopped in traffic. The heat under the right leg has been know for years by Harley Riders and I believe Harley has made some ineffective attempts to remedy the situation. I do not know since I have not ridden another Harley since. People spend alot of money and then learn for the first time of the excess engine heat, regardless of what you are wearing. It was due to the routing of the exhaust. The engine heat is the primary reason I have not shopped another Harley. Overall, I like the changes they have been making to their bikes.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
When I had my FLHTCUI in 2000, the heat was so bad, at times I contemplated getting off the bike when stopped in traffic. The heat under the right leg has been know for years by Harley Riders and I believe Harley has made some ineffective attempts to remedy the situation. I do not know since I have not ridden another Harley since. People spend alot of money and then learn for the first time of the excess engine heat, regardless of what you are wearing. It is due to the routing of the exhaust. The engine heat is the primary reason I have not shopped another Harley. Overall, I like the changes they have been making to their bikes.
Have not had a Hardly for awhile.

But I used to wrap the header pipes with black asbestos tape. Helped a lot and looked cool too.

But I like the open Harley bikes, not so keen on the Ultra, but I do really like the ones without the bags and all that stuff.

Tater, tater, tater.....lazy afternoon ride.

Gonna have to get another one just for that.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Just goes to show....in America anybody can sue anybody for anything. I bet the ambulance chasing attorneys who brought this suit are doing it on a contingency (no money up front, just a big cut of any winnings that are awarded) or to get their names known.

Harley will probably pay these guys off to shut up and go away, rather than pay to defend a ridiculous law suit......

Reminds me of an old joke:

Guy walks into a bar and sits down, and then SLAMS his fist down on the bar
and says...."ALL LAWYERS ARE $%#HOLES"!

Guy sitting next to him says..."I take offense to that!"

First guy says...."Why, are you a LAWYER?"

Second guy....."No, I'm an $%#HOLE!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I think that any large air cooled v-twin is going to cook you in traffic.
I know my suzuki LC1500,and mr roadstar 1600 would.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Have not had a Hardly for awhile.

But I like the open Harley bikes, not so keen on the Ultra, but I do really like the ones without the bags and all that stuff.

Tater, tater, tater.....lazy afternoon ride.

Gonna have to get another one just for that.

You and I both. If I were to get a Harley for afternoon rides it would be the Super Glide with a police windshield. Sweet looking bike.

:thumbup:

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Just goes to show....in America anybody can sue anybody for anything. !
As a Canadian, I can only shake my head at how true this statement really is! :roll:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
There is a Reason For GWs

Before buying our GW, we test rode the 2010 Electra Glide. One of the reasons we didn't buy was the excessive engine heat. You can say, "Duh!" but as a consumer, I don't care if the engine is air cooled, oil cooled or runs on distilled vinegar. All I know is that the bike was uncomfortably hot for me AND my passenger. It's pretty bad when the passenger complains about engine heat.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts

·
Love The DCT
12,011 Posts
When I had my FLHTCUI in 2000, the heat was so bad, at times I contemplated getting off the bike when stopped in traffic. The heat under the right leg has been know for years by Harley Riders and I believe Harley has made some ineffective attempts to remedy the situation. I do not know since I have not ridden another Harley since. People spend alot of money and then learn for the first time of the excess engine heat, regardless of what you are wearing. It was due to the routing of the exhaust. The engine heat is the primary reason I have not shopped another Harley. Overall, I like the changes they have been making to their bikes.
Rear cylinder exhaust on the tourers is no longer a "Y" connection so that alleviated some of the heat. Mid frame air defectors located at the rear of the rear cylinder deflect hot engine cooling air. The engine idle temperature management system (EITMS) shuts off fuel to the rear cylinder when a predetermined temperature is reached thus cooling down the rear cylinder and exhaust pipe. On my 2012 RG Ultra, that feature is activated when the front cylinder temp is 284 deg F. and the EITMS system is enabled. On other configurations, the activation temperature is 324 deg F.

The EITMS system is disabled from the factory, so unless you read the owners manual and enabled it yourself, or the dealership enables it for you when going through the pre delivery checklist, a fair amount of riders are probably running around with this feature disabled. It does make a noticeable difference when stopped in traffic.

Cats in the 011 and 012 models header pipes contribute to the heat especially when stopped, and running a lean 14.7 to 1 AFR certainly does not help the heat situation either. :doorag:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Laid my winter riding suit leg against the exhaust pipe on my Wide Glide back in 99. Burned a hole in my $200 snow mobile suit and burned a small spot on my leg.
Ya think I could sue:?::roll:

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
PU$$IES!!

Matt(BCNV) :tongue:

1 - 20 of 105 Posts