GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was sent to me as admin. :yes1:

The following message was sent to you via the GL1800Riders Contact Us form by thelary07

--------------------------------

I was stranded on the road on the 8th of Sept near Naturita CO. My HD
Electra Glide Classic had sheared all of the rear belt pulley bolts and spit me off on the road, minor scrapes and some bike damage, but my trip from CA was over. Had to rent a U haul in town and attempt to load the Harley into the truck with only my riding buddy and a fellow from Naturita. We struggled for a bit with makeshift ramps, but it was just too heavy. Three Gold Wing Riders on tour and a Kawasaki Rider stopped to help. With their assistance we got the job done. Of all the bikes that passed by these 4 gentlemen were the only ones who even stopped to see if any help was needed. So to you guys ( one is from Colorado Springs on a GW with 140,000 miles on it), you know who you are... Thank you for renewing my faith in what I have always believed was the "code of the road" for Motorcyclists. No matter what you ride I believe there should be an unwritten sense of shared fellowship among motorcyclists. It is, after all, a recreation that is no stranger to great freedom and accepted risks. To my Harley Davidson brethren..thank you for waving as you motored by, moral support is a spirit booster also.. My failing to get the names of these four "knights of the road" is inexcusable, and for that I apologize, but the fact that they wouldn't even allow me to buy them lunch for their help says to me that chivalry on the road is still alive. Once again Gentlemen, a big "Thank You" from this Harley Davidson Rider. Your kindness will not be forgotten and the favor will be passed forward to the next stranded roadside bike I see..no matter what marque. Thanks again!
Thelary07

·
Registered
812 Posts
Great to read and he is correct.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This goes both ways. I was stranded about 17 miles outside of Globe, Arizona this past summer. Brand new 2010 Goldwing but I hit a small rock that was just perfect to take out my oil filter. Next thing I know the oil light is on and I'm on the side of the road. No cell phone service and several people went by. The only one to stop was a Harley rider. After I explained what happened and I just needed to get somewhere I would have cell phone service. He said hop on and he took me in to Globe, AZ where I picked up oil and a filter then brought me all the way back out to my bike and made sure everything was good. I got his name and email address but unfortunately lost both on the trip back. This guy was really great and like you, wouldn't allow me to buy him lunch or anything. He just said pay it forward which I do regularly. I never pass a bike on the side of the road. It's good to know someone has your back when the chips are down. Thanks again my friend!:thumbup:

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
Similar story from us. Returning from the Harrison Gathering almost two years ago, we lost a brake pad in Illinois.
Two Harley'd-up guys in a pickup truck stopped at the convenience store where we'd parked the bike and offered to help. They drove Rich to a nearby Honda dealer while stayed with the bike and trailer, waited while he bought the needed parts, then drove him back. Wouldn't take a dime or a cup of coffee, and even offered to lend tools if we'd needed them.
There are a lot of really great folks out there.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:thumbup: Very good! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
This goes both ways. I was stranded about 17 miles outside of Globe, Arizona this past summer. Brand new 2010 Goldwing but I hit a small rock that was just perfect to take out my oil filter. Next thing I know the oil light is on and I'm on the side of the road. No cell phone service and several people went by. The only one to stop was a Harley rider. After I explained what happened and I just needed to get somewhere I would have cell phone service. He said hop on and he took me in to Globe, AZ where I picked up oil and a filter then brought me all the way back out to my bike and made sure everything was good. I got his name and email address but unfortunately lost both on the trip back. This guy was really great and like you, wouldn't allow me to buy him lunch or anything. He just said pay it forward which I do regularly. I never pass a bike on the side of the road. It's good to know someone has your back when the chips are down. Thanks again my friend!:thumbup:
So do you believe in belly pans now :shrug:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes Sir, Mr. Onewayblues. Bought one as soon as I got back from the ride. I also scan the road more closely. Don't think that would have helped that much as I hit the rock on a curve. I'm just happy the oil never got to the back tire. It would have been a different scenario then. :22yikes:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Nice...

·
Registered
825 Posts
great post Lamonster:thumbup:

I would not be surprised to find that one or more are members here!!!!
You are indeed correct. All 4 bikes that stopped were Rockies Gold attendees.
..and from 3 different ride groups (not traveling together)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Lamonster
Thanks for posting this.
True enthusiasts do what needs to be done!
I had trouble along I 40 between Flagstaff and Winslow and the only one to stop was a Harley rider. I thank that man every time I think what can happen breaking down in the middle of no-where.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
About 4 years ago I stopped at a convince store along US Highway 27 in Florida. I had a VTX1300R with a sissy bar on the back and some Leatherlike Saddlebags.
A fellow who was riding a Harley walked over to me and asked if I had jumper cables. I had none but the store had them for sale inside. They were about $13. The Harley fellow said he lived about 50 miles away and left his wallet home.
I purchased the cables and gave them to him. I told him to use a car to connect to with its engine not running. It started right up. I did not have room to carry the cables home so I told the guy to keep them.
He wanted to send me the money but I said no. Just do a favor and help any biker he finds in trouble and consider that payment.
We parted friends and I think all bikers should help each other out no matter what they ride :thumbup:.
I sometimes wonder if that $13 would have been enough for 2 "Happy Meals" :?::joke:.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts