1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have seen this six speed thing about the Wing vs. other bikes/trikes. I would like to invite everyone to look at the gear ratios of the GL1800 and then plot them with the torque curve for the bike. I think you will find that you can shift your way through a very useable power range with out ever needing a sixth gear(or five for pratical purposes if riding one up).

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the gear ratios I now have but it would be nice to have a sixth to drop the RPM and improve gas mileage on 70MPH interstates. That would help on those long vacations.

Bryan

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
You really should ride one and get the full effect of burning your right leg, feel the vibrations and endure the underpowered feeling that hardly ever allows you to use that 6th gear.
Having said that, it would have a full factory warranty, which IMHO is about the only advantage over a Wing/Trike conversion.

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
You really should ride one and get the full effect of burning your right leg, feel the vibrations and endure the underpowered feeling that hardly ever allows you to use that 6th gear.
Having said that, it would have a full factory warranty, which IMHO is about the only advantage over a Wing/Trike conversion.
Please talk to someone that owns a new Harley trike...not the first Lehman versions that came out. It does get hot, but also does the wing....read the many posts on this forum about getting help with the wing heat. However, your statement about the vibrations is not true. It is a smooth riding bike. Had two Honda trikes and like the Harley Tri Glide best for confort, finish, and cornering. Also, they have changed the front sprocket out in 2011 and the 6th gear is perfect. Need to stay up on annual changes...don't go by the first ones out. And you don't need a belly pan and it comes with a CB, CD Player, 12 volt outlet in dash, volt meter, accessory switch, has better storage tour pack, heal/toe shifter, large break pedal, footboards with road vibration pads, air adjustments for rear suspension, damper for front wheel and does not wobble at any speed, wheels front and rear match, designed to be a trike from scratch...etc....and the Harley has its version of the Zumo 660/665 which installs beautifully in dash. Can buy extended warranty to give it 7 years at any dealer in the USA...not so with Honda conversions. Love the Honda, but it is taboo with Honda to trike it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tfdeputydawg,

You always bring such a nice light in your replies. I wouldn't really know, I have never ridden a Harley in all of my 55 years of life but there is an appeal to some there.

I am thinking about getting the Mic-O-Peg in hopes that they will get my legs out of the radiator air-flow that elevates my body temperature and overheats me. I have the Kuryakyn floor boards right out in the heat.

Can you share any wisdom on the MOPS as far as keeping out of the radiator heat? I have been thinking about the model DD.

It's OK if I highjack this post as I started it and really don't care about owning a Harley, my wing is paid for. I only mentioned it because it has a 6 speed.

Bryan

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
It does get hot, but also does the wing....read the many posts on this forum about getting help with the wing heat. However, your statement about the vibrations is not true. It is a smooth riding bike. Had two Honda trikes and like the Harley Tri Glide best in confort, finish, and cornering. Also, they have changed the front sprocket out in 2011 and the 6th gear is perfect. Need to stay up on annual changes...don't go by the first ones out. And you don't need a belly pan and it comes with a CB, CD Player, 12 volt outlet in dash, volt meter, accessory switch, has better storage tour pack, wheels front and rear match, designed to be a trike from scratch...etc....and the Harley has its version of the Zumo 660/665 which installs beautifully in dash. Can buy extended warranty to give it 7 years at any dealer in the USA...not so with Honda conversions. Love the Honda, but it is taboo with Honda to trike it.
All true-except they are still underpowered and the vibes I was talking about is especially at idle. My friends looks like the rear fenders are going to vibrate off!

tfdeputydawg,

You always bring such a nice light in your replies. I wouldn't really know, I have never ridden a Harley in all of my 55 years of life but there is an appeal to some there.
Thank you!

I am thinking about getting the Mic-O-Peg in hopes that they will get my legs out of the radiator air-flow that elevates my body temperature and overheats me. I have the Kuryakyn floor boards right out in the heat.

Can you share any wisdom on the MOPS as far as keeping out of the radiator heat? I have been thinking about the model DD.
I have no knowledge of Mic-O-Pegs. Have never experienced them! I do know, even w/Baker Air Wings, when I place my feet on my hiway pegs, I feel the heat off the lower radiator opening.
It's OK if I highjack this post as I started it and really don't care about owning a Harley, my wing is paid for. I only mentioned it because it has a 6 speed.
Bryan
I actually perfer the seat position on the Harley over the Wing. However after I triked(Hannigan) including weight bearing foot fairings, I removed the OEM foot pegs and am completely satisfied w/the imporved foot/leg
positioning available.
I also, do not care for the "ride" of any solid axle trike, Harley or not.
At my age and my wifes, we were interested in the smootest ride we could find.
If anyone has a trike in mind-before you sign the dotted line-I beg you to ride a bike w/a Hannigan conversion on it. Yes, there is one for Harley's!
Just be aware w/any conversion you stand a very big chance of having a drive train warranty claim denied unless it's a Street Glide or a Tri-Glide.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about trikes, and I know even less about Harley trikes. But I did get a good primer on them a few weeks ago.

I was heading down my favorite twisty road, came around a turn, and had to hit the brakes, as there was a Street-Glide trike in front of me. I had to follow this guy for 4 miles while he did 30mph, (5mph below the speed limit)

This road isn't in bad condition, (for a Northeast Ohio road), but it does have it's share of frost heaves and repaired potholes. I couldn't believe what I was watching. This thing was bunny hopping over every imperfection in the road. If only one back tire hit a bump, it would upset the back end and jerk the rider's head to the side. If both tires hit a frost heave while he was going around a gradual curve, it would pitch the entire back end to the side. I understood why he was only doing 30mph.

People can complain about the Wing's suspension all they want. But this trike reacted to bumps like it had a solid suspension. My bike was handling the bumps pretty good.

I don't make stuff up, and don't exaggerate. What I saw really was that bad.

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
All true-except they are still underpowered and the vibes I was talking about is especially at idle. My friends looks like the rear fenders are going to vibrate off!

I actually perfer the seat position on the Harley over the Wing. However after I triked(Hannigan) including weight bearing foot fairings, I removed the OEM foot pegs and am completely satisfied w/the imporved foot/leg
positioning available.
I also, do not care for the "ride" of any solid axle trike, Harley or not.
At my age and my wifes, we were interested in the smootest ride we could find.
If anyone has a trike in mind-before you sign the dotted line-I beg you to ride a bike w/a Hannigan conversion on it. Yes, there is one for Harley's!
Just be aware w/any conversion you stand a very big chance of having a drive train warranty claim denied unless it's a Street Glide or a Tri-Glide.
Underpowered...they come standard with the 103 cubic in. engine. Almost a 1700 cc....that is not underpowered in my humble opinion. Have you ridden the new Tri Glide?....they don't make the street glide trike any more...discontinued it this year. If hyour friends Harley fenders are shaking, then he has a bad trike. Fenders don't shake like that or at all...the engine is rubber mounted.
'

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have any Baker wings, I do have the Tulsa Mirror wings for my wife. I have had the bike since it was new in 2002 and always had the kuryakyn boards on the bike and always get roasted in hot weather. Last year I installed the Tulsa foot wings hoping to get some relief but that didn't really help either.

Back to the trike:
Did you know it has 6 gears? I wish the Goldwing had 6 gears. I could go a lot farther on a tank of gas at 70MPH.

Bryan

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
I don't have any Baker wings, I do have the Tulsa Mirror wings for my wife. I have had the bike since it was new in 2002 and always had the kuryakyn boards on the bike and always get roasted in hot weather. Last year I installed the Tulsa foot wings hoping to get some relief but that didn't really help either.

Back to the trike:
Did you know it has 6 gears? I wish the Goldwing had 6 gears. I could go a lot farther on a tank of gas at 70MPH.

Bryan
On the Tri Glide, at 70 mph, the rpms are about 2200 in 6th gear.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the Tri Glide, at 70 mph, the rpms are about 2200 in 6th gear.
That's what I want.

Now, once the tach gets to 3000 what's the use in being in a hurry, you are just wasting a lot of gas. I am thinking about those long runs across places like Wyoming where you won't see a gas station for what seems like forever and if you get the tach up you spend your time worrying about where the next station is. Plus, I would rather run at a lower RPM when you are going hour after hour.

I like trikes!

Bryan

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
How often do you feel the need to drag race a Harley in order to feel that they are underpowered ? All Harleys will get you a speeding ticket just as much as a GW will.

My Toyota pickup will blow the doors off of my brothers Chevy, therefore all Chevys are underpowered junk.

I had to put padded grips on my GW because the engine vibration made my hands numb.

My Harley pictured below will blow the doors off any GW and I can see just as clear in my mirrors as I do with my GW mirrors even though my engine isn't rubber mounted like the touring models are.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Don't know why everyone wants a 6 speed trans for saving gas. Rode with some buddies yesterday for about 550 miles. 3 1800 wings, 1 2010 Ultra, and 1 Can am spyder. The Wings and the Ultra all used virtually the same amount of gas. The biggest difference was less than a 10th of a gallon. On one fillup one of the Wings used less than the other bikes by almost a 10th. This was riding anywhere from 55 to 80 on the tanks. It was also in the mountains at 5000 ft to 3200 ft. We won't mention the Can am because it was terrible.:thumbup:

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Underpowered...they come standard with the 103 cubic in. engine. Almost a 1700 cc....that is not underpowered in my humble opinion. Have you ridden the new Tri Glide?....they don't make the street glide trike any more...discontinued it this year. If hyour friends Harley fenders are shaking, then he has a bad trike. Fenders don't shake like that or at all...the engine is rubber mounted.
'
Dawg to Dawg
I know you like the Tri-Glide. That's OK. Yes I am clear on what cc's 103ci converts to ( 1,687.867 592 cubic centimeters).
With the Wing being somewhere around 120HP and the 103HD about 70HP. Big difference. Many owners on a Harley forum are complaining about barely adequate power and low gas mileage from having to down shift and crank the throttle to "make it go".
I have owned several Harleys w/rubber mounted engines. At speed, they run very smooth. At idle they do shake the whole bike and anyone sitting on them. The fenders do look like they're going to crack from the shake and the front wheel has the heebie-geebies. I would agree my friend has a bad trike! But then at idle, every Harley I've seen, rubber or not, 2 or 3 wheeled shake. Right off idle they do smooth out.
He sat on mine -rode it and his comment was, I can't believe how smooth that runs and rides. Can hardly feel the bumps and mine about bounces me off some of the big ones!
Yes, I rode my friend Tri-Glide and I rode another before deciding to convert my Wing w/a Hannigan. I was very disappointed in the lack of power, the shakes, the heat on my right leg and the harsh ride of the solid axle.
I know this is not endearing me to you but, I am telling my and my wife's reactions to the Tri-Glides.
But we know our opinions differ so, we'll agree to disagree! Let's ride!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I like the gear ratios I now have but it would be nice to have a sixth to drop the RPM and improve gas mileage on 70MPH interstates. That would help on those long vacations.

Bryan
Lowering the RPM's with a taller gear will NOT necessarily result in higher gas mileage. In fact, it would/could lower it.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
How often do you feel the need to drag race a Harley in order to feel that they are underpowered ? All Harleys will get you a speeding ticket just as much as a GW will.

My Toyota pickup will blow the doors off of my brothers Chevy, therefore all Chevys are underpowered junk.
His comment about being underpowered made no mention of racing. You can get a ticket pretty quick in a Yugo too. But I think pretty much anyone would agree that a Yugo is grossly underpowered.

I had to put padded grips on my GW because the engine vibration made my hands numb.
Yeah, Goldwings vibrate more than Harleys. You go with that.

My Harley pictured below will blow the doors off any GW and I can see just as clear in my mirrors as I do with my GW mirrors even though my engine isn't rubber mounted like the touring models are.
If we are going to get into heavily modified bikes that aren't street legal, let's make it fair. Let's get together with the guy that has the Goldwing Turbo. I'm sure he will gladly race you for pinks. He might even take one of his spark plugs out so that the race is a little closer.

Nobody previous to your post said anything about racing having anything to do with being underpowered. Yet you brought it up twice in one post. Stock Harleys are known to be anemic, regardless of their capabilities in a race. The HP/cu.in. of the entire Harley lineup (except for the VRod) is the lowest in the motorcycle industry. If a stock Harley is enough for you, fine. But the guys here are saying they are too underpowered for them.

What I find ironic is that you are here telling us that Harleys are not underpowered, but yet you must have felt they were too. If you have a Harley that can beat a Wing, you had to have spent thousands of dollars modifying the bike to get it to that point. That isn't exactly a drag bike in your picture.

Harley's are also well known to vibrate. The vibration is an indisputable well known trait. If that vibration doesn't bother you, that's fine. But don't deny that it exists.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
6 speed?? Harley only needs two speeds; vibrate and slow!!

DanL

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Lowering the RPM's with a taller gear will NOT necessarily result in higher gas mileage. In fact, it would/could lower it.
Who said anything about gas mileage being the reason for wanting a 6 speed?

You can't tell either way whether it will help or hurt gas mileage without actually doing it. But next time you are on a trip, drop you car out of overdrive for the whole trip. Let us know how much you enjoyed having to listen to the engine buzz along at 3000 rpm, and let us know how you gas mileage worked out.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
You really should ride one and get the full effect of burning your right leg
I have some blisters from a burn from the heated air that expels between the left engine cover and frame on my Wing. One more reason to be ATGATT I guess, driving in shorts got me this punishment.

The GoldWing is known for it's powerful 6 cylinder boxer engine with wide torque curves. The engine is low-revving with a car-like piston geometry. The resulting status is less gears are better. Comparing wimpy V-2 and four-inline engines against a boxer-6 and expecting the rules surrounding the transmission to match is idiocy ... 6 speed transmissions are reserved for lesser engines IMHO.

I'd be happy with a 3-speed transmission on my Wing, I use 1, 3 and 5 and rarely 2 or 4.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts