GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotcha!! :lol::lol:
In the kickstand department.

My ex-Harley's kickstand had a notch in it so when the bike was resting on it... IT WOULD NOT FOLD UP. I found out the hard way one day when I realized I forgot something and quickly left my Wing in the driveway (very slight incline) and came back to find it at half tilt. I KNOW..... leave it in gear, kill the motor, let the slack out of the tranny then park it. I got it now...... I just ASSUMED that all big bikes had "The Notch".

IMHO a VERY simple idea that Honda should duplicate. Do other bikes have "The Notch"??
I miss the notch, but I LOVE MY WING!!:popcorn::popcorn:
Another question.... has anyone ever heard of the kickstand breaking on a wing?? That was one thing that made me nervous when I took my Wing home. The kickstand looked very small and skinny for such a large bike. So far so good though!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

Two things HD does right:

Locking kickstand

Can remove the key from the ignition in "run" position

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Wish the Buell had that

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
The sacrifices we have to make!

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
Only problem is that Harley has their kickstand patented. But it does seem like the Honda engineers could come up with some sort of "locking" side stand for the Goldwing. :shrug:

·
Registered
315 Posts
I can start my '06 Roadglide in gear with my hands off the bars. Boy is that ever fun! I would like to talk with HD about that one.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I can start my '06 Roadglide in gear with my hands off the bars. Boy is that ever fun! I would like to talk with HD about that one.
Yes and to think a $2.00 switch could end the problem!
I agree, I've seen MANY a Harley folk start their bike in gear
and watch the rider chase it. Oh by the way, they go down
if the rider doesn't grab the bike before it goes down.
Even with the lock, it will fall..........hmmmmm.
I watch mine, to make sure that green light is on, before I
hit the start button.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I had my gl1200a drop on an incline once.
Now I pop it in reverse and the wheels lock up tight.

No one is going to push this bike anyplace unless they have a key to take it out of reverse firsrt.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Been there, done that! :cry:
My 2009 Electra Glide Ultra Classic will not start in gear, unless the clutch is disengaged. I'm pretty sure this has been this way with the HD touring bikes for the last year or two.

G

·
My ex-Harley's kickstand had a notch in it so when the bike was resting on it... IT WOULD NOT FOLD UP.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

When you can't trust yourself to operate a simple kickstand it may be time to give up riding. :shrug:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Forget everything you know about your Harley, or any other Harley. Now you are riding a real bike with good technology. Use it to your advantage. Frankly, I would not like to see a Harley 'jiffy stand' as they are known on my GW. Those jiffy stands have been known to break, so follow the drill on using a sidestand.
Stand it safe...Ride safe!

·
Registered
989 Posts

Now thats funny and oh, how true it is! Don't ask how I know.

I also about dropped the Wing last week because I almost forgot about the "non" locking sidestand! :22yikes:

·
Registered
739 Posts
My 2009 Electra Glide Ultra Classic will not start in gear, unless the clutch is disengaged. I'm pretty sure this has been this way with the HD touring bikes for the last year or two.
Your kidding??? I'll have to check with a friend who just got a new 09. Time for me to get a new CVO~!

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Gotcha!! :lol::lol:
In the kickstand department.

My ex-Harley's kickstand had a notch in it so when the bike was resting on it... IT WOULD NOT FOLD UP. I found out the hard way one day when I realized I forgot something and quickly left my Wing in the driveway (very slight incline) and came back to find it at half tilt. I KNOW..... leave it in gear, kill the motor, let the slack out of the tranny then park it. I got it now...... I just ASSUMED that all big bikes had "The Notch".

IMHO a VERY simple idea that Honda should duplicate. Do other bikes have "The Notch"??
I miss the notch, but I LOVE MY WING!!:popcorn::popcorn:
Another question.... has anyone ever heard of the kickstand breaking on a wing?? That was one thing that made me nervous when I took my Wing home. The kickstand looked very small and skinny for such a large bike. So far so good though!
To answer your question........mine is a 2001, been following this and several other boards and have never heard of a stand breaking.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts