GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my GL1800 last fall and have noticed that the more I ride it, the lighter and more manageable my H-D Ultra Glide Classic feels. If you don't know, that H=D model is their biggest touring bike. Prior to the GW, the Harley always felt massive and tippy but now after a couple thousand miles on the wing the Harley feels smaller and more nimble. Since these bikes are what they are, I'm obviously the one who has changed. Just putting this out there as an observation, with the question: For those of you with other large bikes has the wing made you a better rider or more comfortable with the others? It certainly has for me and I don't really understand why...the Harley is always described as not handling as well as the wing, but they're both at the same weight class. If anything I would have guessed it would go the other way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
April fools day past a couple of months ago. LoL !! As one who has had a Harley Davidson Electra Glide, the opposite it true. The GoldWing I never think twice making a U turn or throwing her around at low speed but with my Harley it was always planned. The GW has a lower center of gravity with the fuel tank below your hips instead of above on the HD. Also all the chrome don’t get you home, it just weighs a ton.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Riding a Yamaha Venture full dresser bike for 7 years prepared me well - after that experience a Wing felt like a crotch rocket. Venture is very top heavy...great bike IMO but very (very!) top heavy. I'm not a small guy at 6'3" and around 240lb but there were situations that I had to manhandle that bike and it wasn't easy. Loved my Venture though....but the Wing felt great, very nimble after riding a Venture.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Don't know about the HD but my Vulcan and my Wing are 2 completely different rides. The one thing the Wing did "teach" me is how to easily raise the Vulcan on the center stand.

I love both of them.

I used to have a 91 Kawasaki EL 250 - now that bike was a GREAT ride (if you didn't mind the vibrator effect LOL). That thing could do the "8's" like nobody's business.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The GL1800 has always felt more nimble than my Honda Valkyries or the GL1500 Goldwing. GL1800 has a lower center of gravity. The times I've ridden Harley tour bikes including my Neighbor's 2014 CVO they seemed to have a higher center of gravity too. GL1800 is the best ridding bike I've ridden for balance. Now the foot placement is a different story. Like how the Harley has the normal riding position larger than 90 degrees. As I age keeping my feet less than 90 degrees is becoming an issue.
Dan

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've owned numerous HD's and always thought for their size, they handled extremely well even if my wife were on the back which we all know can make a bike more difficult to handle especially for a small guy like myself.

Last summer after buying the wing, for awhile every time she went with me I felt like I was going to dump it moving in and out of tight spaces and hated the bike. Then, finally, I got used to it and was so much better and was happy again.

Fast forward to this year and after riding my two "nimble" bikes for most of the spring I got her on the Wing the other day and almost dumped it a few times again, like I forgot how to ride it. SO FRUSTRATING !

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't know about the handling differences between HD and GL because my HD is a 2017 Road Glide Ultra and my GL is a CSC 2012 Trike. To me the HD provides a lot more leg, knee and seat comfort and room. I like both bikes and not down grading either ride. When I decided to purchase a trike I rode both a Trip-Glide Harley and a GL1800 Motortrike. To me there was no comparison the Goldwing is by far the best trike. So I guess I'm lucky to have both, love both and have both Harley and Goldwing T-shirts in the closet.
Bill

·
Registered
626 Posts
Honestly, my experience is that my 2012 HD SG handled better than my 2015 GL. I could whip the HD any where I wanted and not even think about it. I rode that bike for 4 years. I am now on my 4th season, bought a left over in 16, on my GL. At speed, this bike is smoother and faster and does what I want of it. I feel comfortable taking the GL anywhere in the country at a moments notice. The HD, at lower speeds and in parking lots, handled much better. I think there is a reason there are so many HD dealers that will take a customers bike off a stand to fix a travelers. I was a bit weary about taking the SG on my planned trip that year so that why I bought the Honda. Never looking back

1 - 10 of 10 Posts