GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Changed engine oil and final drive oil today using the Harley oil drain pan. Not to much good to say about Harley's bikes but they do have some nice accessories. The oil drain pan is one of them. No more fishing out the drain plug in hot oil, highly recommend.
Comes with one eye patch and a sign Johnny Depp autograph.

Low Profile Oil Drain Pan

Part Number 63795-10

63795-10-2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've had one of those for a while. Used them on all my bikes. Nice & low and haven't had a problem no matter what kind of bike I'm using it on. I second this observation.

·
Registered
505 Posts
10 quarts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
it’s ok with cold/cool oil, and HD’s 20-50 is thicker to begin with, but my hot oil will splash all over the place with that. It needs sides for containment. I think.

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
THEY USED TO BE STANDARD IN THE HARLEY "TOOL KIT" TO SAVE YOUR DRIVEWAY !! :surprise::laugh:

Reactions: Brian_Fenner

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it’s ok with cold/cool oil, and HD’s 20-50 is thicker to begin with, but my hot oil will splash all over the place with that. It needs sides for containment. I think.
The drain pan is large enough to catch any splashing. 20-50 when hot is runny like 10-30. How many times have you lost your drain plug in a pan full of hot oil or dropped your oil filter in the same pan, now that's a mess.
Not trying to sale it but if you never have used one it's heads over a traditional pan, just my 2 cents. :grin2:

·
Registered
19,227 Posts
Think I will pick one up. Looking for the lower profile with more room under the bike. Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Changed engine oil and final drive oil today using the Harley oil drain pan. Not to much good to say about Harley's bikes but they do have some nice accessories. The oil drain pan is one of them. No more fishing out the drain plug in hot oil, highly recommend.
Comes with one eye patch and a sign Johnny Depp autograph. .
I don't see the brackets or attachment points where it mounts to the HD bike frame...>:)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I use the Harley pan. Works great. Should not be dropping any drain plugs or splashing anything. It's lower profile than the wally world one and allows you to use your hands under there.

Reactions: bob2002

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The one attached to our Harley’s from the factory are steel and chrome!

Thought I saw a new Goldwing this morning while riding. I was mistaken. It was a Burgman.....

If you saw a Goldwing it had to be it's tail lights as it blew by you, besides one of your eyes were obstructed by a pirates patch. :wrong:

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Problem is the height, 5.5" vs the HD pan @ 3"
Correct, I have the thicker oil drain pan/ container that I use on my cars and trucks, but it cannot be used on my motorcycles. The shallower pan/container allows its use on a motorcycle. My son has one and I use it on my cruiser that I use to have to pull up on blocks when doing an oil change. It's a product that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I guess oil pans can be as much of a personal choice as the oil.... I don't need an oil pan that "holds/stores used oil", I just want one short enough to not get in the way, have a peg for the oil filter to drain for a while, and not shaped in a manner that causes it to drip oil all over everything when pouring it into the collections jug. I finally found one of those. I have soooo many that have weird handles and areas to make it "stack-able for retail delivery" that will redirect oil to your garage floor instead of the pour spout and into the huge funnel on the jug. I really do not like the splatter cover that is supposed to direct the oil inside the container like the OP one pictured. My dad has one of those and I have used it a few times; I really do not like the splatter and over shoot potential they have. "What is 'over shoot?'" That is the initial oil flow having enough momentum going sideways that it continues the sideways flow past the "side-less pan" and on the floor in a big pool before you can move the pan into that pool of oil to better catch the oil draining out. I have done that more than once with one of those, what a flippin' mess that causes. I very rarely drop anything in the pan and for the exception of the crush washer everything that I have ever dropped in can be retrieved by a magnet. If it is the old crush washer, so what - time for a new one; if is it the new one, so what - grab another and use that one later once I collect it from the funnel and clean it up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts