GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is Laconiia Bike Week here in NH and the Harley Demo rides were taking place about 25 miles from my home. I decided to try a couple of them out and took a Road King Ultra and an Electra Glide Ultra out for a spin. I was surprised at how smooth the bikes run once they are under way, you would think with all that shaking at an idle they would be rather buzzy but they are not. Good midrange power and torque as expected, did not push either one very hard. Very hot at idle, both rides were in 65 degree temps and i could feel the heat very strongly from the engine. Also the windmanagement is much better on the GL. Now here is where I almost choked. Price on the Road Glide was 23500 including freight and emissions, the Electra Glide was 25200, both came with ABS, Security system, and cruise control. No reverse, no Nav, No heated seat, no heated grips. Oh yes and the dealer was asking $1500 in "Fees" on top of the prices above. No sales tax here so I guess it must be pretty difficult to set one of these up if it costs $1500. I immediately turned around and left the building. Salesman told me they sold 220 units new and used during Bike Week last year. Guess they conned 220 people out of $1500 but they won't be selling one to me.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Assuming the Electra Glide was an Ultra, it had a CD, CB, running boards and running lights standard equipment. Which is interesting because MSRP for an Ultra is 22,199 for a two tone.
You can get NAV, heated grips and seat, and reverse as options if you wish.

·
Registered
334 Posts
New 2011 Ultras are nice!

It is Laconiia Bike Week here in NH and the Harley Demo rides were taking place about 25 miles from my home. I decided to try a couple of them out and took a Road King Ultra and an Electra Glide Ultra out for a spin. I was surprised at how smooth the bikes run once they are under way, you would think with all that shaking at an idle they would be rather buzzy but they are not. Good midrange power and torque as expected, did not push either one very hard. Very hot at idle, both rides were in 65 degree temps and i could feel the heat very strongly from the engine. Also the windmanagement is much better on the GL. Now here is where I almost choked. Price on the Road Glide was 23500 including freight and emissions, the Electra Glide was 25200, both came with ABS, Security system, and cruise control. No reverse, no Nav, No heated seat, no heated grips. Oh yes and the dealer was asking $1500 in "Fees" on top of the prices above. No sales tax here so I guess it must be pretty difficult to set one of these up if it costs $1500. I immediately turned around and left the building. Salesman told me they sold 220 units new and used during Bike Week last year. Guess they conned 220 people out of $1500 but they won't be selling one to me.
I would be very interested to know what $1500 in fees includes? Harley dealers seem to be very good at inventing bogus fees. Destination charges are usually part of the MSRP. All that is left is Doc fees and those can range from $150 to $400 depending on the stealer. You would pay the sales tax in your state usually at time of registration if buying over state lines.

Assuming the Electra Glide was an Ultra, it had a CD, CB, running boards and running lights standard equipment. Which is interesting because MSRP for an Ultra is 22,199 for a two tone.
MSRP probably is $22,199 but the dealer just inflated the price by $3000. Typical at most H.D. dealers. Oh yes you can get all the extras you want and that $22,199 quickly turns into a $30,000+ machine!!!

Wonder if that E-Glide was actually an Ultra "Limited"
No. Ultra Limited is in the $35,000 ballpark depending on the dealer. Regular Ultras are not cheap, I am waiting for a deal on a private sale 2010 or newer to show up, I miss my 2001 Electra Glide but don't miss the old brakes and frame design.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Lots of used bikes for sale. Let someone else play the dealer game. Then when they get bored or for whatever reason want to sell it, pick one up a year or two old .

Dealers are in the game to make a profit. And they do, you play that game and shame on you.

Lots of people buy a bike, any brand and it sits in the garage for a year or two , has 4000 miles on it and they sell it.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
MSRP probably is $22,199 but the dealer just inflated the price by $3000. Typical at most H.D. dealers. Oh yes you can get all the extras you want and that $22,199 quickly turns into a $30,000+ machine!!!

I paid $20,000 for mine 2010 Ultra. MSRP? $21,000

No. Ultra Limited is in the $35,000 ballpark depending on the dealer. .
Ultra limited MSRP: $23,699

CVO Ultra (Screamin Eagle Ultra, if you want to use that verbiage):

$36,499

Either you are shopping dealers that drastically mark up their prices, or you are posting prices w/o even taking the time to research them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I paid $20,000 for mine 2010 Ultra. MSRP? $21,000

Ultra limited MSRP: $23,699

CVO Ultra (Screamin Eagle Ultra, if you want to use that verbiage):

$36,499

Either you are shopping dealers that drastically mark up their prices, or you are posting prices w/o even taking the time to research them.
Yes, I was thinking the CVO Ultra and yes, most H.D. dealers drastically mark up the MSRP. I live only two miles from a H.D. dealer and they had a 2011 Ultra CVO that was marked up to $43,000 !!!!!!!!!!!! You got a good deal on your Ultra, around my area, the Ultras all seem to be priced in the $23,500 to $25,000 range. I know what the prices really should be and if/when I buy another Harley, it will be cash so I will expect the best deal or simply leave my phone # and walk away and expect a call within a day. That's how it's done.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yes, I was thinking the CVO Ultra and yes, most H.D. dealers drastically mark up the MSRP. I live only two miles from a H.D. dealer and they had a 2011 Ultra CVO that was marked up to $43,000 !!!!!!!!!!!! You got a good deal on your Ultra, around my area, the Ultras all seem to be priced in the $23,500 to $25,000 range. I know what the prices really should be and if/when I buy another Harley, it will be cash so I will expect the best deal or simply leave my phone # and walk away and expect a call within a day. That's how it's done.
Some Harley dealers do mark their bikes up a lot and some how manage to stay solvent. It's not like that everywhere. I bought my Limited for under MSRP and no delivery or setup fees. The last 2011 CVO Ultra the dealorship had was sitting on the floor marked at MSRP. If you walk into a dealership and they won't deal, just walk out and go else where, there are lots of Harley dealers.

To the OP, I think you meant Road Glide Ultra, not Road King Ultra. Harley doesn't make an Ultra version of the Road King, at least not yet.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Where does Harley list a reverse option for the touring bikes? I just checked on their site and itstill lists the reverse option as N/A. If they had one available, not a mechanical one but more like the one on the Tri-Glide, I sure wouldn't mind having it. I pulled into some gravel the other day and up against a wall. Didn't realize the Ultra has sunk three inchs until I tried to back up. It took two of us to push it back to turn around and we almost didn't manage it. All 900 lbs. bikes should have reverse.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Where does Harley list a reverse option for the touring bikes? I just checked on their site and itstill lists the reverse option as N/A. If they had one available, not a mechanical one but more like the one on the Tri-Glide, I sure wouldn't mind having it. I pulled into some gravel the other day and up against a wall. Didn't realize the Ultra has sunk three inchs until I tried to back up. It took two of us to push it back to turn around and we almost didn't manage it. All 900 lbs. bikes should have reverse.
You are correct. No reverse according to my catalog. I misspoke.
You can buy kits, but not from Harley it looks like. I did a google on them.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Anyone that pays the full sticker and "setup" fee is a fool.

My local Honda dealer adds on to the MSRP and his fees are outrageous but when you start towards the door, they always come down.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Rawhide HD in Olathe Ks has been making some sweet deals the last few months, undercutting my local dealership by $2000 or more on new touring models.

Personally, I would never pay over MSRP for anything. I have a problem paying MSRP for accessories......especially when I can mail order them from Chicago Harley for 20% OFF of MSRP.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I got my 2011 U Classic Limited with a $1000 off MSRP 15% off on accessories.The Limited comes with the 103 motor which is a great combination with the 6 speed trans.The new U Classics don't shake at idle as much as the older ones did.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lots of used bikes for sale. Let someone else play the dealer game. Then when they get bored or for whatever reason want to sell it, pick one up a year or two old .

Dealers are in the game to make a profit. And they do, you play that game and shame on you.

Lots of people buy a bike, any brand and it sits in the garage for a year or two , has 4000 miles on it and they sell it.
:agree:

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
$36,000 for tractor parts - there is a fool born every minute :joke:
It appears that you need to come out of the stone age, because thats actually a compliment. Tractors are more reliable than any motorcycle you'll ever own, have better resale value no matter the age and the frames don't break !! So, who's the fool ? :joke:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Harley

I think a reverse is optional on the Harley Trikes. Also, I work at a lot of predominantly Harley rallys/events. After seeing how many of them are abused, I would never buy a used Harley.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Many posts on this board talk about BMW's being very expensive to maintain and operate. I have not found that true. Since I have never owned a Harley, I was wondering if HD's are expensive to maintain. Where do they compare on the Honda maintenance scale?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts