GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding Harley Road Glides since 2006. The support from the Harley service is getting worse and worse to the point I'm just fed up with it. I could do my own wrenching but I'm just getting tired of the amount of down time due to poor design. I've had an extended service plan on my current Road Glide but with 85K on the 4 year old bike, the Harley folks decided to cancel the ESP because I have a car tire on the bike. If it wasn't the car tire, it might have to be the windshield, or the fog lights or maybe even the Corbin solo seat I put on it. No mods to the engine or drive train.
I put a lot of miles on a Honda 750 back in the 70s then got a good trade deal for a GL1000. Had that for some time but didn't like the constant need to fiddle with the 4 carburetors. From there, went down the Harley path.
I'm pretty sure I'll be getting into a touring Goldwing within the next couple weeks. Just want to see what its about now and if I'm just jumping from one problem to another.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Welcome from SE Idaho!!! You'll likely go into shock with the differences concerning maintenance. With the Goldwing, keep up on fluid changes and follow the owners manual maintenance schedule for inspections. Instead of spending the week working on your bike for a weekend ride, you spend Monday cleaning the Wing from all the riding you've done all week.....or not, as you may be riding on Monday as well. Since you run a CT now, you may want to check out the Darkside sub forum here. Lots of good information about what works on the back of the Wing. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up. :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Welcome. Where are you from?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I had a 1980 GL1000. Kinda liked it but had to fiddle with the carbs to much.
Went to the Road Glide in 2006 because it seemed more roomy. Had my fun with building it out to a 107 with lots of power then bought the 2016 Road Glide Ultra. Pretty much stock cept for the car tire and a few other dudads.
Retired now and single so lits of time for riding. Done one official Iron Butt ride, 44945 and numerous unofficial 1,000 days since.
As I've been looking at the 2020 GL1800 on line, none of the stores have em on the floor around here. Prolly because this is in the snow belt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m a Harley to Honda guy also. Came off a 2012 Road Glide Ultra also. I bought the DCT Tour in September and only have about 1300 miles under my belt thus far. Much to get used to with the new bike, but its a rocket compared to the Glide. Think I’m going to add the heli bar risers since I cant seem to sit back against the back rest like on the Glide. I have the Rivco Pegs, but not crazy about them. May need to adjust forward or back. Love the smooth ride of the GW, all the tech, and the auto TM is amazing (I actually didn’t intend to buy one, but then I rode one). Biggest issue thus far is the dreaded hip cramps after about 120 miles. Attribute that to not having the ability to move feet around like on the Glide. Best of luck.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Since I took the leap, It’s been no looking back for me. The biggest adjustment I had was getting used to riding with my feet back under me again, a good seat that set me back about 2” and the Mic-o-Peg highway pegs took care of those issue.
You’ll enjoy the smooth, dependable high torque engine and being able to hear yourself think again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the hip pain. I got the Arthritis, Bursitis and Sciatica so I carry lots of pain pills when riding.
I'm 6'4 so I'll be looking for stuff to be able to stretch out on the bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I completely understand where you are at. I rode nothing but Harley since 2001. I made the switch in October of 2018. Mine decision was made after owning a 2017 ultra limited. Long story I left it where it wanted to spend all of its time in the service department of my local dealership . I sold my bike back to the dealership where I had bought 16 Harley’s over the years between the better half and myself. I picked up a 2008 goldwing with audio comfort and ABS. I was blown away by how much better the wing does everything. The motor will make you kick yourself for not making the switch years ago. Way smoother gobs of power and torque without having to do stage kits cams you know the drill. I really enjoy passing farm equipment on the wing. No lack of passing power. With the wing I find myself riding way more. The bike handles great. Suspension is head and shoulders above anything my previous HD”s had. Now you’re only decision is new 2020 or the previous generation that has more storage. Decisions decisions best of luck to you. After all there is nothing like that new bike smell. Lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhhh yeah, the new bike smell.
I understand ya about the Harley spending so much time in the service department. I used to do my own wrenching on most problems but then, as I got older and less patient, I could afford to buy the extended service plan. The problem there was, the bike would sit in a service bay for over a month for a simple compensator replacement. Something I could do in about 4 hours myself. The Harley service department where I've been taking my 16RGU has only commented in the past about the car tire I have on the bike, saying its not safe, etc. This time, the service manager decided it was the cause of the problem I was hearing without even diagnosing the problem. He doesn't do Harley much good with that sort of approach.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Ken, I saw your other post about not being able to get a test ride on a 2020. Forgive me for butting in, but the differences between the 2020 and the previous two years is very very small. You are going to be riding a bike that is so different from what you have been riding that you are going to have sensory overload. The physical dimensions haven't changed and the control types and functions haven't changed. The changes on the newer model are pretty subtle and will probably be available as a software update on the 2018/19 models. If you are anxious to get going (and it sounds like you are) call one of those dealers South of you and set up the test ride. If I were buying you can be sure that the $4-5k savings would be enough incentive for me to go with a 2018.
Richard

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
You might want to introduce your Harley-Davidson dealer to the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. If they can't "prove" (an extremely high legal hurdle) that your CT was the direct cause of whatever you are seeking warranty coverage for, they are S.O.L. What they are doing is acting in "Bad Faith" (and use those words).Unless they are total idiots (which may be the case) they will figure out how to honor your warranty in an extremely rapid fashion. If not? Call your local D.A. and I'm fairly sure they would be rather interested in such nonsense.

·
Registered
74 Posts
...where I had bought 16 Harley’s over the years...
I almost fell off my couch with laughter when I read "16 Harleys". Nothing personal against them but 16? That must be some kinda record !!!

Sorry but 15 minutes later still laughing. That is the funniest thing I ever read so thanks.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I was a Harley guy for over thirty years then rode a 'Wing at the 2011 Americade. Two weeks later the Ultra Classic was gone and a new Goldwing in it's place. I like the Goldwing so much I added a trike in 2015, just traded that in on a 2019 DCT trike. Best of both worlds and not one regret evah!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Notice my screen name...

Don't wait for the '20s unless there's a specific color you want. There are deals on '19s and even still some '18s left. Personally I'd go with a late manufacture '19.

There are pros and cons to both Harley and Honda. Nothing on the Honda that would be a deal breaker. I did have to add a Utopia back rest and Gold Strike adjustable highway pegs to get back some of the comfort I have on the Limited. Otherwise, I love my Tour DCT. Nice to be able to hear myself think, and to get off the bike with zero fatigue at the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You might want to get to know the folks at Schroader's Honda in NC. Just a short ride from you; it will be hard for anyone to beat there prices unless your head over to Arkansas. I got my first V-twin in 1964. The first wing in 2001; have never looked back. It is a different bike, give it a chance. A lot of us wind up changing the seat, adding pegs back rest, that sort of thing. As some else previously posted, wash it, change the oil every now and then, check the tires and go ride. There a bunch of wings out there with 200k+ miles with little to no work, maybe pugs and and battery and that is it. BTW - love riding the area around you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I just need a bike I can ride long haul with and not have to worry about something breaking or overheating. I guess 25K miles a year is a bit to much for the Road Glide.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks for posting your comments. I have a 2007 GL1800 ABS and been wondering about getting a Harley for summer just to see what it's all about. I love my Goldwing and maybe I don't need the Harley/shop time experience. I think I will upgrade the front suspension and keep riding it, then add to my small Honda CB750 collection. Cheers, Cliff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts