GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this posted from the Daytona bike week last week. It’s just a basic tour pack mounted to a non tour wing with spacers. This one has been severely modified to house speakers firing out the front. But these packs are less than 200$ on eBay amazon etc but would require painting unless you have a black wing. What your opinions on this? I like the low long look myself but just my opinion

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Flows with the lines of the bike so well...if you didn't know better, you would swear it was stock!

Not only looks good but probably has close to twice the room.
Jim

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are several heights available. The cost would be if you wanted to get a body shop to paint it to match your bike unless you have black

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not sure, but I think that is what is referred to as a "razor" tour pak. It is sleeker than the factory tour pak. Not sure 2 helmets will fit 8nto that chopped case. Would like to know who owns that Wing to find out what was involved in mounting it. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a standard Harley tour pak off Ebay
FB_IMG_1572581356140.jpg
FB_IMG_1572581366076.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
that will hold 2 helmets and more. It only comes in black, but if I like it I will take it to my paint guy and get him to paint it white to match out Wing.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already contacted the guy on Facebook that owns the wing. He used 4 bolts, washers and nuts from advance auto parts. 8mm bolts 60 mm long. Just pop off the 2 triangle color match covers on the rear fairing and set the bolts to the height you want with the nuts as jam nuts. Here is a video of a F6b which is basically the same install.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The razor is like 7” tall, the chopped is about 11” and the king is about 14” tall. The king should hold helmets plenty fine. I rounded those dimensions up about a 1/4”

·
Registered
365 Posts
(n) I don't like it and the way it's attached to the bike is too amateurish and flimsy.
The Shad has a nice trunk for the Goldwing and it's properly attached and easy removable: GOLDWING NON TOUR.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I believe in both videos the Harley tour pak was installed on non-Tour Wings. Our Wing is a tour model and I anticipate attaching the Harley tour pak to the H- shaped mounting frame on the bike that the factory trunk is attached to. Hopefully it will be a "cleaner" look than the 2 in the videos.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So far $166 for the king-pak with luggage rack and $99 for the LED tail light bar... Drilled all the holes intoxicated (yes I know--you should never drink & drill). From the trunk to the light bar install. Do not plan on color match because I have the majestic silver....and the trunk tour is a quick bolt on that serves as a tour package for long runs that will hold a big backpack or 2 full face helmets unlike the limited stock $900 stock trunk. I purchased 4 M8 60mm cap bolts from the hardware store to help with mounting...paid $62 for the pathfinder wiring harness. Another $99 for the bolt on back rest. So $428 PLUS TAX to date.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far $166 for the king-pak with luggage rack and $99 for the LED tail light bar... Drilled all the holes intoxicated (yes I know--you should never drink & drill). From the trunk to the light bar install. Do not plan on color match because I have the majestic silver....and the trunk tour is a quick bolt on that serves as a tour package for long runs that will hold a big backpack or 2 full face helmets unlike the limited stock $900 stock trunk. I purchased 4 M8 60mm cap bolts from the hardware store to help with mounting...paid $62 for the pathfinder wiring harness. Another $99 for the bolt on back rest. So $428 PLUS TAX to date. View attachment 366997
The stock trunk is wayyyyy more than 900$. 900$ is for the color match panels. Another 800$ for the mounting kit which contains everything else like the backrest, speakers, harness, and mounting points.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I actually like the looks better than Honda's pill box. I would have to get the one with speakers....

I could eventually get used to the sideways and wrong side opening. I had to deal with that for when I was in Hawaii, which had that exact trunk without the rack. I could put 3 helmets in that trunk. It had no problem with my helmet, mesh pants, mesh jacket, and a several other items. My 2010 trunk is maxed out with my helmet, leather or mesh jacket with heated liner and mesh pants or heated leather chaps. A much larger trunk would make up for the tiny bags. That Harley trunk and the better comfort from the Heli Bars and higher backrest and I may be able to consider my 2018 as a "Goldwing" instead of an ST-1800. Yeah, I know that is rather ironic..... add a bunch of non-Goldwing stuff to get it to meet the "Goldwing" status......

·
Registered
146 Posts
What your opinions on this? I like the low long look myself but just my opinion
If you're looking for space and not style, it looks like the stock 2018 GW Tour rear pack is bigger. If you have a partner that routine rides pillion, it doesn't look like it's backrest is comfortable. If you ride solo and you like style over function, it looks great. I love the color!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
There are 3 sizes of "Tour pack", and the Ultra Classic I put a bunch of miles on in O'ahu was a bigger box for space than my 2010 Wing trunk. I also sat on the back seat for a bit (not riding, had to sit and check comfort potential) and the backrest was not that bad for the passenger, actually I would say it was more comfortable than the 2018 - especially if you are not ultra-slim like the 2018 expects you to be. If I replaced the trunk on my 2018 with a Harley Tour Pack trunk, it would be the King with speakers, backrest, light bar, and rack. It seems like the total cost for that conversion would not be any worse than the Corbin lid and replacing the trunk lights with something that fits the Corbin lid; but the space increase becomes significant instead of minor.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I believe in both videos the Harley tour pak was installed on non-Tour Wings. Our Wing is a tour model and I anticipate attaching the Harley tour pak to the H- shaped mounting frame on the bike that the factory trunk is attached to. Hopefully it will be a "cleaner" look than the 2 in the videos.
Be sure to take a lot of pictures....I wonder how much less the HD tour trunk route is then buying the Corbin lid?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts