GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GOT THIS TODAY .
In the week the 5-millionth Harley Davidson was sold , a report came out with new motorcycle sales figures for Q1 of 2019. All regions in the world show a decline, except Europe, with a growth of almost 24%. Why? Nobody seems to know. If you have any ideas, let us know!

·
Registered
790 Posts
How many Harleys were sold in Europe?

Up 24% from a terrible number is not believable.

The Netherlands is one of the largest motorcycle markets in Europe.

In two trips to Amsterdam inside a year, I only saw one Harley. Tons of Japanese bikes and BMWs.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Sales increases are always good, but you have to dig deeper in order to keep it in perspective. Harley is not a big player in Europe, with only a 5% or so market share. A 24% increase in sales only requires an increase in unit sales of about 9,000 bikes. It's the same as when Victory and Indian were posting obscene percentage increases in the US. Percentages are often misleading. Again, it's all good, but not exactly earth shattering news.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Well it could be because we had a brilliant summer last year weather wise and the early part of this this year has also been extremely dry, almost drought in some places, alas, it hasn't continued... :shrug:

I agree that we see very few large touring bikes out on the road... until there's a charity parade then there's hundreds of 'em, I've no idea where they live for the rest of the time!

I bet they're well polished... get outa my hair an' go polish yer bike...

:surprise:

:smile2:

·
Registered
316 Posts
In Europe the motorcycle market is growing, all brands not just HD.
Europeans love motorcycles, that has never changed. I think that HD is an "exotic" brand over there (like Ducati is over here) and folks who buy HD get that HD image and rarity.

As a tangential example, Mercedes is far more common over there, but not terribly common over here.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have been to France, Amsterdam and Rome Multiple times in last few years. what I saw, was MOST of the time, there were not HD or even GW. most were smaller bikes to accommodate the roads and parking. BMW, Honda, and various others that are not big bikes

·
Registered
790 Posts
On my 2018 trip back from Amsterdam, guy at my hotel pulled up on a Suzuki B-King street fighter.

Consultant doing some training in North Holland rolled in on a BMW R1200RT.

They ride and have big bikes. Big taxes and multiple steps to qualify for a a larger bike .

And the Harley logo doesn't have the meaning it does here - to many of them, all bikes are foreign made.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts