GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Interesting to say the least. Maybe that's the reason why some police depts are changing manufacturers

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep, had a 1973 Electroglide go into the true high speed wobble or so called death wobble at about 85 mph while passing a truck. It happens and it is severe enough it will crush your fingers between the bars and the tank.

The little wobble on the Wings is not the same.

That good looking woman at the start of the video is a sure sign of death, if you chase that, your wife will kill you. Lol!!

But the Harley wobble occurs at high speeds, the fellow in the video says he was only going 25 mph. I would suspect a faulty tire on something like that. Cause it just don't happen at slow speed.

Get any handlebar mounted fairing or windshield bike up at a high speed and it can happen.

Also with adjustable rear wheels to tighten and align chains and or belts if that is out of alignment that can trigger it also.

High speeds, yep it happens.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Have you heard of tank slap? Same kind of thing. This can happen for a number of reasons on any bike. Early 1100 and 1200 goldwings were scary if you took your hands off the handle bars around 30-40 MPH. Putting on fork braces were popular in those days. My Valkrie will wobble when the stearing head bearings get loose.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Any motorcycle will do that given the chance. They are all prone, just at different speeds and circumstances.

Be carefull. There is a group of cry babies that will call you a hater for this. :joke:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
This has been debated for years...have a friend, also in Phoenix, that survived an incident and has since installed a kit to stabilize his Electra-Guide....also rides his BMW GT most of the time now.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Any motorcycle will do that given the chance. They are all prone, just at different speeds and circumstances.

Be carefull. There is a group of cry babies that will call you a hater for this. :joke:
Until I retired two weeks ago I rode the same road to work, every day, and have for years. It's a twisty mountain four lane, some of he curves have the Wing almost dragging the pegs at 60 mph. Everytime I ride my Ultra, a 2010 model with the new frame that is supposed to be wobble free, on that road, it shakes its head going through several of the curves. I've never owned any other bike that does that on those same curves. Only other bike I've ridden that has done it on those same curves is a friends 09 Ultra, another with the new stiffer frame. The older models, before 2009, were much more prone to wobble. Mine, while it will wobble a little, doesn't seem like it wants to accelerate that shake, so I'm not worried about it, but I could see it happening on an older (pre 2009) Harley.
There are discussions about Touring Harleys getting into a wobble occasionaly over on HDforums. Some say it has never happened to them, others say they rode for years and then suddenly their Harley went into a wobble so severe it almost threw them off. I don't think it happens to every Harley every time it gets ridden, but to pretend it doesn't happen to some Harley FLHs once in a while is bury you head in the sand.

·
Registered
902 Posts
It happens to all bike with certain condition.I have ridden a lot of different brands.YES even the beloved wing will do it. The only thing i rode that i think won't wobble is a can-am.Even harley and wing trike have that same problem something to be aware of.

G

·
Get any handlebar mounted fairing or windshield bike up at a high speed and it can happen.
This is true I would probably lean more towards the faring which was popular back in the 70's and caused just this type of tank slap occurrence. Once the much better Vetter style farings came out the handlebar mounted farings went away.(on all normal motorcycles)
Of course now they are a fashion nostalgic thing so what's a little death if you can look cool.
I suppose the bean counters are now busy trying to figure out if it's cheaper to be sued or to fix the problem and perhaps lose a couple groupies.

Funny how the "expert" says it's a problem with the engine mounted to the frame - I guess it should be mounted to the rider?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
This is true I would probably lean more towards the faring which was popular back in the 70's and caused just this type of tank slap occurrence. Once the much better Vetter style farings came out the handlebar mounted farings went away.(on all normal motorcycles)
Of course now they are a fashion nostalgic thing so what's a little death if you can look cool.
I suppose the bean counters are now busy trying to figure out if it's cheaper to be sued or to fix the problem and perhaps lose a couple groupies.

Funny how the "expert" says it's a problem with the engine mounted to the frame - I guess it should be mounted to the rider?
Yep mount it to the rider and then sell it as a exercise machine. Lol! They as you know use rubber mounts for vibration, but inside each is a metal spacer that secures the engine so the expert is kinda dumb.

We had some trouble with my oldest son/s ST1300. It would do it too at a high speed. I spent a week taking it for a ride each evening and finally found the front fairing would open up at high speed on the bottom due to a couple missing fasteners. That was enough to set up an air flow that would create just the right conditions.......sometimes, not all the time but sometimes. Fixed that and it has done fine.

Over there in Europe, the police used to use them, but the little storage box sitting up on the back would put it into a high speed wobble also.

It is generally always some kind of air flow problem at a certain speed, get the right harmonics going and you get the situation.

That one in the video going around the curve, dunno, was not aware of that, he is not really pouring it on, you can see the bike walk around, that must be alignment , only thing I can think of.

G

·
somewhat related as it is a wind driven and wind initiated problem.

when I first built the Stealth11 R-trike it handled perfect and went down the road great at any speed. However I added a set of factory hard bags and then everytime I hit 60+ under power the trike would start to wobble and shake with increasing intensity (I immediately though of Burt Monro) I even tried adding weight to the front of the unit which like Burt found out, it didn't help.
The fix was to add more caster and lengthen the wheelbase 3 inches. The other option was to go back to soft bags.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yep mount it to the rider and then sell it as a exercise machine. Lol! They as you know use rubber mounts for vibration, but inside each is a metal spacer that secures the engine so the expert is kinda dumb.

We had some trouble with my oldest son/s ST1300. It would do it too at a high speed. I spent a week taking it for a ride each evening and finally found the front fairing would open up at high speed on the bottom due to a couple missing fasteners. That was enough to set up an air flow that would create just the right conditions.......sometimes, not all the time but sometimes. Fixed that and it has done fine.

Over there in Europe, the police used to use them, but the little storage box sitting up on the back would put it into a high speed wobble also.

It is generally always some kind of air flow problem at a certain speed, get the right harmonics going and you get the situation.

That one in the video going around the curve, dunno, was not aware of that, he is not really pouring it on, you can see the bike walk around, that must be alignment , only thing I can think of.
The wobble in the vidio is the one that mine has, just not that bad. It has nothing to do with air flow, when it happens I'm always at a steady sixty or so and happens when I lean into a curve and emmediatly goes away as soon as I straighten up. It's caused by the small undulations in the road and it feels like the swingarm is flexing sideways slightly as it tracks those undulations while the bike is leaned over. It has never done it while running straight down the road, up to the 90 mph that I've had it. Older (pre 2009) Harley FLHs seem to be the ones that get into a wobble at speed running straight up, probably from several causes that gang up at a particulal time and place and may never happen again to that particular bike. There are two or three brace kits sold for Harley FLHs that tie the swing arm engine unit more solidly into the frame and most users say they work quite well. I don't recall any one with a newer frame that has had to install one, I'm not even sure they are made for the new frame.

·
Banned
356 Posts
Been hearing about this problem for some time. I've logged a lot of mile's on Different Harley's and haven't ever experienced this problem. Same with all my Harley riding friend's. Everyone has heard about, but none have experienced it. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it can't be as common as some would suggest.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I heard all the horror stories about wobble when I had my HD. Never experienced it. Same story with my BMW and my Wing. Guess I just missed out.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I have a friend in the nursing home due to head injuries when his Kaw 1000 LTD went into a highspeed wobble in 1985. I was behind him and he was going about 75 when it started. He was thrown off the bike and hit a reflector post with his head.

I've had the Harley pictured below at 115-120mph with no problems.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Harley FLHs seem to be the ones that get into a wobble at speed running straight up, probably from several causes that gang up at a particulal time and place and may never happen again to that particular bike. There are two or three brace kits sold for Harley FLHs that tie the swing arm engine unit more solidly into the frame and most users say they work quite well. I don't recall any one with a newer frame that has had to install one, I'm not even sure they are made for the new frame.
I Had an 88 FLHS (S=sport and has no fairing, just windshield) I put quite a few miles on that thing with never a hint of wobble. Maybe I ride the right roads.:lol:

Worst bike I ever had for wobble was my GL1200. While I have owned three Harleys I never had one with a fairing.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The wobble in the vidio is the one that mine has, just not that bad. It has nothing to do with air flow, when it happens I'm always at a steady sixty or so and happens when I lean into a curve and emmediatly goes away as soon as I straighten up. It's caused by the small undulations in the road and it feels like the swingarm is flexing sideways slightly as it tracks those undulations while the bike is leaned over. It has never done it while running straight down the road, up to the 90 mph that I've had it. Older (pre 2009) Harley FLHs seem to be the ones that get into a wobble at speed running straight up, probably from several causes that gang up at a particulal time and place and may never happen again to that particular bike. There are two or three brace kits sold for Harley FLHs that tie the swing arm engine unit more solidly into the frame and most users say they work quite well. I don't recall any one with a newer frame that has had to install one, I'm not even sure they are made for the new frame.
Thanks, that makes perfect sense. Someone always has the answer or knows about whatever the discussion might me.

That explains it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts