GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fred Harmon has made maintenance CD's for the GL1800, and has received many favourable comments. Does anybody know if the CD's include specific information for Canadian made bikes?:cool:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't believe there is any substantive difference between US and Canada models. All made in Marysville and the only thing I've ever noticed is the temp display and speedo [I have US model and friend has CA].

I think the answer is that for 99 % of what you need, Fred's DVDs would work fine.

Bobb

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I have a Canadian GL1800A. So far, I've noticed nothing different from the videos, and I've replaced the air filter, brake pads, rear tire, adjusted the cruise, and replaced the shock, which means pulling the tank and moving the right saddlebag.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maintenance CD's

Thanks for the above responses. I should have mentioned that my bike is an '07 Airbag - which is the 1st year for the airbag model. I do have the 2006-2008 Service Manual and there are many specific references to Model IIICM, which is the designation for the Canadian GL1800. For example, on p. 178 a diagram shows the Cable & Harness Routing for VIIIA (U.S.) and IIICM models only. Many other diagrams have a sub-heading "Except VIIIA and IIICM". I may have to contact Fred Harmon to ask if his CD's include the airbag.:cool:

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Thanks for the above responses. I should have mentioned that my bike is an '07 Airbag - which is the 1st year for the airbag model. I do have the 2006-2008 Service Manual and there are many specific references to Model IIICM, which is the designation for the Canadian GL1800. For example, on p. 178 a diagram shows the Cable & Harness Routing for VIIIA (U.S.) and IIICM models only. Many other diagrams have a sub-heading "Except VIIIA and IIICM". I may have to contact Fred Harmon to ask if his CD's include the airbag.:cool:
The majority of changes that have occurred to the GL1800 over the years have been electrical in nature. In 06 they increased the radiator and fan sizes a bit and put on a bigger alternator and GPS and heated seats and grips. In 09 they added the tire pressure system and upgraded the GPS and added XM.

The mechanical sections of the bike have changed very little. A new second fork seal was added in 06 on the left fork leg, and the amp in the rear now has to be removed to pull out the rear wheel. The air bag model made some changes to the forks and top shelter and radio controls position.

For the most part, the videos will work with all model year bikes. There are some changes to the airbag equipped bike that will affect how the top shelter comes off. Other than that, most everything is the same.

The only changes I can see on the Canadian model might be in the speedo and possibly some of the pollution controls. There may also be some changes in the fuel system to make it more tolerant of gas with MMT in it that Canada uses (US models have a warning in the manual not to use gas with MMT in it).

So anyway, to answer your question, no I have not filmed the changes for an air bag equipped bike, but most everything in the videos still applies, the only change will be in the removal of the top shelter, and even much of it is still the same.

I am also currently running a sale on the videos that runs until Sunday.

http://www.angelridevideos.com

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
The only difference?
kilometers instead of miles
celcius instead of fairenhigh
french and english instead of english only
-
built in the same factory
same for north america
-
different only for the other parts of the world due to the difference in ampridge and power ie 110v v 220v

1 - 7 of 7 Posts