GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lane splitting has been beaten like a dead horse so I am not posting this looking for a debate. People in Ca know the benefits of doing so, and those who have not done so cannot really relate to it. I can see where it looks or sounds dangerous for the ones who have not done it, but it is safer when done correctly than sitting in a lane of bumper to bumper traffic. Myself I very rarely split lanes as the location I live at does not have the traffic congestion like the LA and the bay area. When visiting those areas however I will lane share in stop and go or very slow congested traffic.
Have not read this board a lot so if this has been posted let me know (as I am sure u will) and I will delete it.
Anyways I was glad to see Harry Hurt's views publicized.

Think passing cars between is reckless and inconsiderate? We beg to disagree. But there are some things to know before you start. By Art Friedman.
I had called USC's Accident Research Department to talk to Dave Thom about helmets, but Harry Hurt answered the phone. Hurt, the lead author of the famous "Hurt Report" about the causes of motorcycle accidents, is arguably the most knowledgeable expert in the area of motorcycle safety and always fascinating to talk to.
Today, however, the news wasn't pleasant. Hurt had been rear-ended and had required surgery on his neck. His brand new truck suffered major damage too. "The stupid part," said Hurt, "was that if I'd been on a motorcycle, I wouldn't have had the accident. I would have split lanes and never gotten hit."

Rest of the article is here:

.http://www.omcla.org/reference_assets/Lane Splitting 101.pdf

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Good read..I'm a lane splitter and have see most cars will allow me to pass with my high beams on an modulator running..

I make it a point to Wave a "Thank You" to those who see me and move over to allow me to pass at no more then 5-10 mph faster than the grid lock in moving..like the article said-I too pull back in behind a low profile vehicle when traffic if rolling faster then 25-35 mph..

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Good read..I'm a lane splitter and have see most cars will allow me to pass with my high beams on an modulator running..

I make it a point to Wave a "Thank You" to those who see me and move over to allow me to pass at no more then 5-10 mph faster than the grid lock in moving..like the article said-I too pull back in behind a low profile vehicle when traffic if rolling faster then 25-35 mph..
+1:agree:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts

I agree. Under proper conditions this is safer and I also try to wave thank you.
The only beef I have is with the idoits who speed through slow traffic, splitting lanes and pissing off drivers that later see me coming slowly and safely, only to purposely steer into me as I go by. Fortunately this does not happen too often. But I watch for it all the time and have avoided getting hit several times.
I wish Calif. drivers would realize that one stupid idoit is no reason to commit a "Felony Assult" on another motorist.
I'm surprised how many drivers I speak to don't realize that if you steer at a policeman like that.... he can and may open fire!!! It is a Felony to use your vehicle as a weapon!:eek:4:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep agree with all that. The ones that bust there way down between the cars at a high rate are the ones that upset people. Plus we have all seen the you tube vids of the maniacs running at the speed of sound and swerving in and out of cars. I think a lot of out of riders who disagree that lane splitting can be done safely base a lot on what they see on these videos. When done right it is safer and can actually add pleasure to your ride, not to mention the dreaded overheating many bikes experience by stop and go or crawling along. It's like everything. A right way and a wrong way. The wrong way will piss people off including me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts