GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the aftermarket seat from this company. Kind of pricey, but if it is as good as the company claims, the price is worth it.

I am 5'9" with a 29" inseam. I like long rides of 400 - 500 miles at a time.

Any feedback you can give me will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I have one that I bought and it does not fit me. It is made for a shorter rider. It also is not heated, so I put my OEM seat back on. Hartco are well made and some folks love them. If you are interested in one I will sell this one as it don't fit me. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
$18.95 for one of those cushions from wall mart
works great with a sheep skin over it

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I have owned and riding my 3rd one. It works for me and I have ridden from Kentucky to Florida in one day. Great seat and I am a tall rider. Wife likes it too. Much better support.

Hope it works for you.

Sounds like JohnAC has a deal for you!

They do cost from $900-$1000 each, with a driver's backrest and a cover for the passenger backrest. I bought this 3rd one used and it is working for me very well.

Ride Safe & Ride Often :thumbup:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Worth every penny I paid. Be advised that new custom seats need to be broken in and that seems to take 2,000 miles or so. When new they feel like a brick! Just ride and before you know it, hunreds of miles in a day is a cakewalk.

Mine is dark red velour. Looks great on a black bike and get many compliments. The velour is marine grade and dries out in a few hours if you get caught in the rain. Speaking of rain, the special elastic rain covers are worth it to. Buy them also!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Had one, not bad. Tried, Ultimate and Corbin as well. Best in my opinion is a Tom Simmons. I am on my third and no comparison.

http://tscustomseats.com/gpage.html

Wow! looks like a great/comfortable and good looking seat. I didn't check the price but I'll be sure to sit down when I do.
If my back/hip decides the Wingsoft/Utopia combo dosen't work ( it has so far on 2 1800s) I'll check into one.

Steve

·
Registered
687 Posts
seat

I had one on my last 1800 and I absolutely loved it. I just wish they made a heated seat I would buy again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've got a Hartco coming for my 08. I've heard they are a bit tough to fit. Is that true? Any pointers to get the seat on?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I've got a Hartco coming for my 08. I've heard they are a bit tough to fit. Is that true? Any pointers to get the seat on?
2 gorillas and 1 big guy! The first time was tuff, but after that it goes on and off with ease. We got the front lined up and stuck a couple large phillips head screw drivers in the holes, then lined up the rear the same way. Then replaced one screwdriver with a bolt, and on and on. P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E! It's worth the effort! We've put well over 30,000 miles on it with no problems, and we've done many 700-850 mile days, two up, and it has never been the butt that got sore or tired. You'll enjoy the seat:lol::lol:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've had mine about 5 years (my how time flys) and about 110k it's not a seat that I brag about, but is better than stock. I've had better and worse seats for sure. But all the same with the use of Airhawk and ButtBuffer pads changed out at gas stops I'm able to put in some long days. If a seat fits you you can set in it all day without problems. If it doesn't fit well--------there will be some degree discomrfort depending on how bad the fit is.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hartco seat

I have a seat made for your size that i switched out for a Tom Simmons seat. It has the black velour cover w drivers and passenger backrest with the rain cover. I would be interested in selling it for $500 including shipping. Let me khow if you are interested in it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
2 gorillas and 1 big guy! The first time was tuff, but after that it goes on and off with ease. We got the front lined up and stuck a couple large phillips head screw drivers in the holes, then lined up the rear the same way. Then replaced one screwdriver with a bolt, and on and on. P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E! It's worth the effort! We've put well over 30,000 miles on it with no problems, and we've done many 700-850 mile days, two up, and it has never been the butt that got sore or tired. You'll enjoy the seat:lol::lol:
Thanks for the tips! I'm looking forward to getting it and having some warm weather. After talking to Kelly at Hartco this afternoon, I think Utah may be warmer than Florida. Strange indeed.

Guess I should send all my climate questions to Mr. Gore...

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Wow! looks like a great/comfortable and good looking seat. I didn't check the price but I'll be sure to sit down when I do.
If my back/hip decides the Wingsoft/Utopia combo dosen't work ( it has so far on 2 1800s) I'll check into one.

Steve
They are about $1,000. I think he has a price list on there. He has to use your seat pan and can make it heated if you have it. I have never had the Wingsoft, but have heard mostly good things about it. Tom makes these so I can use the MicOPegs without the cushion like on the OEM putting pressure on the bottom of my thighs. He can also sew some graphics on the backrests. We chose eagles each time and have been very pleased.

His are not mass produced so it may take a little longer. (2-3 weeks) So if you don't have an extra pan, plan to be off for a little bit or if you call Tom, maybe he can have you send it close to your build date. BOL, Jimmy

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've got one on 1500 that I bought new off ebay. I paid less than $600 for it. It definitely rides hard for the first several hundred miles but eases up after that. Mine is the "big boy" seat and is a bit wider than the standard size. That's fine when I have the sidecar mounted and don't have to balance the bike. But when I drop the hack I'm on my toes to keep the bike up, and I'm 6' tall. Overall, it's a very good seat.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I'm on my third Hartco and would recommend them to anyone. They're shop is about 40 minutes from me and I just ride over and speak to Mark and about 30 days later, I am riding. The last one I bought, I picked it up two days before my trip to Colorado. Never had a bit of butt pain in 6000+ miles. Agreat seat made by great people. Plus if you like Sharpais (SP?) (the wrinkley dogs) they have several at the shop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts