GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had Hartco custom build me a seat for my 2015 F6B and they got it right the first time and it fit me perfectly! Now moving up to the 2019 Goldwing Tour trike I only made one phone call for a custom seat,... Hartco! I'm 6'4" tall and right at 295lbs and while the stock fits good it could be better with me needing to be moved back as far as the seat will allow. Talking with Hartco he told me "I know exactly wat you need" and they got it perfect again. I chose not to change the passenger backrest at this time but he blended the two so it looks great. I also opted for no heat and their seats include the "dummy plug" for the heat connection so there is no dash light on. Here's some pics of the stock seat next to the Hartco and one showing the bottom custom fiberglass pan they make and a couple on the trike. Inside so pictures are not the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After the last seat they built for me I did not care about price just knew he was the man to call. Phone call to my door was exactly 40 days. I chose not to go with the heat but they do offer it, for me if it's cold enough for a heated seat I'm taking the car plus I could always put the stock seat back on if need be. I finally got to ride it yesterday between rain and it's an awesome seat, can hardly wait for my first long ride with it. Might order the matching passenger backrest this winter wife said it would match that way? She still has plenty of room even with me moved back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Despite my initial frustrations in the website not listing prices I finally got around to calling him today. By the end of our conversation he had my visa information and I'm anxiously awaiting my first custom seat ever. Got the heat and backrest too!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I have the Hartco now on my 3rd touring bike. First one was my 1986 Yamaha Venture. Second one 2005 GL1800. Put over 100,000 miles on that saddle and had him recover it once.
Third one is now on my 2016. For my tush this has been a great choice, especially for 500 mile riding days!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had Hartco custom build me a seat for my 2015 F6B and they got it right the first time and it fit me perfectly! Now moving up to the 2019 Goldwing Tour trike I only made one phone call for a custom seat,... Hartco! I'm 6'4" tall and right at 295lbs and while the stock fits good it could be better with me needing to be moved back as far as the seat will allow. Talking with Hartco he told me "I know exactly wat you need" and they got it perfect again. I chose not to change the passenger backrest at this time but he blended the two so it looks great. I also opted for no heat and their seats include the "dummy plug" for the heat connection so there is no dash light on. Here's some pics of the stock seat next to the Hartco and one showing the bottom custom fiberglass pan they make and a couple on the trike. Inside so pictures are not the best.

Looking at your side by side pic it doesn't look like he moved the seat back very far. I find my knees hitting the bodywork occasionally and would like mine moved back a couple of inches if possible. Did he raise the seat height for you? I think 1.5" taller would be nice. I'm 6'3" and most of mine is legs versus torso but a little longer reach to the handlebars would be nice. Does he use a firmer foam than stock or softer? I lean more to the firm side of things and find the stocker pretty nice but a touch more on the firm side would work for me.
I'm coming from the sport touring side of bikes so this seat versus earlier model wing seats is much more to my liking. Been using Sargent seats on my ST1300 and FJR and like their foam which is more firm. They can work on the Honda seat but will have difficulty with the seat heater.
Just curious on your observations after some butt time on the seat.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Hartco will build the saddle to your personal specifications, weight and height. Also for the passenger.
They use special memory foam that is firmer than the stock saddle. It takes a couple thousand miles for the foam to get it's personal form to you. Not a big deal but after that
it is even better.
When I sent my Hartco in for recovering after 110,000 miles, I said "Don't touch the foam"! They told me that this is what their customers usually say when recovering the saddle.

Oh.... Hartco has a optional feature called the prostate relief. I recommend getting that. Even if one has no issues down yonder!!!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you have a rain cover for that seat? The seat is beautiful BTW
Yes I have a rain cover for it. Mark originally talked me into the "velour" top on my last seat for the F6B and I was really reluctant about it, after getting it and riding with it,... I'm sold so this new seat got it as well without hesitation.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking at your side by side pic it doesn't look like he moved the seat back very far. I find my knees hitting the bodywork occasionally and would like mine moved back a couple of inches if possible. Did he raise the seat height for you? I think 1.5" taller would be nice. I'm 6'3" and most of mine is legs versus torso but a little longer reach to the handlebars would be nice. Does he use a firmer foam than stock or softer? I lean more to the firm side of things and find the stocker pretty nice but a touch more on the firm side would work for me.
I'm coming from the sport touring side of bikes so this seat versus earlier model wing seats is much more to my liking. Been using Sargent seats on my ST1300 and FJR and like their foam which is more firm. They can work on the Honda seat but will have difficulty with the seat heater.
Just curious on your observations after some butt time on the seat.
I'm 6'4" and 295lbs so I needed leg room as well. He did raise me up a little and back about 2.5 inches. Moving you back the limitation is the actual seat pan itself. He also pours the foam based on your weight as well as your passenger weight and height. The weather went to crap here in Ohio so I have not get to ride it much, only about 80 miles or so but again he nailed it! Awesome seat and helped me out with leg room and comfort. Tossing around having them do the passenger back rest to get them to match but not sold on that yet.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm 6'4" and 295lbs so I needed leg room as well. He did raise me up a little and back about 2.5 inches. Moving you back the limitation is the actual seat pan itself. He also pours the foam based on your weight as well as your passenger weight and height. The weather went to crap here in Ohio so I have not get to ride it much, only about 80 miles or so but again he nailed it! Awesome seat and helped me out with leg room and comfort. Tossing around having them do the passenger back rest to get them to match but not sold on that yet.

Thank you!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts