GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Steven, did you decide where your'e gonna mount it yet? Tim

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking just forward of the black relay box under the seat. The thing I like about this unit is it is very sturdy and made of all stainless. The two outside fuses are dedicated to thier own. The 3 in the middle you can add up to eight things to it. I have not looked at Lewis's very closely. I saw it and thought what the heck. I am a want it now kind of guy, so I hate waiting for the brown truck sometimes.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Power supply

I like the looks of the unit but don't like the idea of removing the seat to replace fuse.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Steven,
It looks like it has similar functions to Lewis E/C unit. But I woud ask you, when is the last time BMW showed up to support some of our activities? Will BMW come here and answer questions and provide outstanding customer service? Do you think BMW will become supportive of Goldwing riders? BMW got any guys that look like the Fonz, who'll come and have a beverage with us in the parking lot?

C'mon, we need to supprt those who support us.

JMHO

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CJ, It is not made by BMW. It is just an accy like you would find at any dealer. I dont feel like I should have to justify where or what I purchase, but I guess I need to. When I was installing my Gerbing Permament Controls on Friday afternoon, I realized I had to much hooked into my battery. I had to go to the BMW store where I bought my jacket for a size larger yesterday. BTW, nobody on the board sales Gerbings, so I wasnt able to support a sponser here, I saw the part I needed and bought it. I am sorry I didnt get it from Lewis. However I have purchased a tremendous amount of things from Lewis. Actually Paul and I were going make ANOTHER trip to see him and get some stuff done but he is still in Phoenix. I am sure Lewis is not offended by the fact I bought something somewhere else.

I am quite sure you have purchased things that you could have gotten from the board as well.

Take a deep breath and swallow another Corona, it does wonders for you.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeff they also make a pretty neat kit that makes this unit only work when your key is on. It has a relay in it so that when you turn the bike over it stops all current until the bike is started. I am NOT an electrical guru by any means. I need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
I wear BMW brand boots.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
C'mon, we need to supprt those who support us
Settle down lil buddy :lol:

I'm sure Hal didn't get upset when Lewis bought a victory

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I installed Lewis's (Electrical Connections) on my bike. I have yet to attach something to it. :lol:

That unit above looks good though. 8)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Angus, You make a good point. Maybe I will see if I can find another spot. However, if a fuse blows I will want to know why. Which means I will need to remove the seat anyway to get to my wires for everything. I will let you know what I decide on.

One other thing I forgot to mention. This item handles 80 ams Vs 30 amps on Ec's. The gerbings and fog lights are gonna be pulling alot I believe.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Toyo,

Careful with the amps you put to one fuse.

The fuse might hold the amperage, but will the relays and wire?

Just a thought.

Bulldog

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dawg, Thanks for the tip. I hope, dont think I will be overloading anything. I usually go overkill just for safety reasons. I use only tinned
copper stranding wire. It is made for the marine enviroment. Very high quailty wire. Used to use it on my boats. The company I use makessome pretty neat stuff. http://www.ancorproducts.com/Products/Home.html

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Centech makes a nice product. I'd like to point out a few differences;

1. Both ours and the Centech are the same price. However, the Centech does not include a relay, main fuse, any wiring or connectors. For an additional $29.95 you can purchase a relay and connecting wire for a total of $79.90. This total still does not include a main power fuse and holder.

2. The Centech, by lacking the relay, does not have a protected connection point for a battery charger.

3. Ours does not have the ground buss.

4. In 20+ years of experience, I have never found where a lugless connection as used in the Centech is superior to a crimped or soldered connector. The vibration from the driveline and road will at some point fracture the strands of wire and you end up with a short. Of course, you can remedy this by properly tinning the wire with solder.

People should buy whatever makes them happy and fits their needs. :D

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lewis, Could you please explain these two statements. I dont quite understand what your talking about.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:06 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Centech makes a nice product. I'd like to point out a few differences;

1. The Centech, by lacking the relay, does not have a protected connection point for a battery charger.

2. Ours does not have the ground buss.

I did not start this thread about which is better than the other. I know, you know me better than that. Some people however have turned this thread into that. For which I apoligize and regret posting this thread, which is very sad if you think about it.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
We add a connection point for a battery charger so that if you turn the key on when the charger is attached, the charger is automatically disconnected from the battery. If a battery is deeply discharged, a good quality charger can go over 17 volts. That amount of voltage into a battery is no issue. Into other electrical components, it can cause damage. Thats one of the reasons the chargers instructions generally tell you to disconnect the battery when charging.

The Centech has a ground terminal built in. Ours does not. We offer a seperate ground terminal block. In most cases, you ground the accessory close to its installed location and a ground block is not needed.

In regards to amp capacity, you only have a limited amount of extra available from the alternator after keeping the bike running. We use a 40 amp relay (we tell everyone 30 amps cause we know that its going to be overloaded in some cases).

No matter how you use these items, you want to fuse EVERY item individually. If you piggyback items, you run the risk of damaging 2 items.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Lewis, I really appreciate it. I think Paul and I are gonna try to head your way soon. How long are you going to be in town for? Maybe Charlie can buy our lunch this time. Lord knows we have to listen to his war stories, that the least he could do. LOL Boy I hope he doesnt read this!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I'm back tomorrow (actually got home last night). I'm around until the afternoon of the 30th (next Monday). I have an appointment Tue at 11:00 for a couple of hours...other than that I should be good for lunch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts